Author Topic: Ennis crying -- Independent Spirit Awards  (Read 13468 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Ennis crying -- Independent Spirit Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 12:21:36 pm »
I think it could be the same cut, just edited for the film. Love to see all of it. I would sure like to watch other camping trips, Jacks stops for gas, roadsigns through his windshield (Casper 344 miles), warm grettings, heartfelt farewells, fireside chats, etc.

Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:15:26 pm »
I like the "alternate" take better.  Packs a little more punch and emotion. 

I also agree with the comment that Ang was a little too reserved in some instances.  I'm tired of hearing people say 'it wasn't emotional' or 'they were just friends'.  A little more punch and emotion like we see in this clip would have stamped all that out... 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:45:45 am »
This is a tough one. I like the extra emotional punch of the alternate. Much as restraint is a quality I love about the movie, sometimes I feel some of those ending scenes are just a tiny bit too restrained (the end of the phone booth scene, also). And in general I'll take any extra seconds I can get.

On the other hand, since discovering the "I love you" (I think), I love the way that scene underscores the moment by cutting off immediately after he whispers that into the shirts.

On the deluxe addition, I would like to see footage of every single moment Jack and Ennis spent together from 1963 to 1983.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 01:25:02 pm »
I don't know...thats a tough one!  I think that the fact that he didn't cry a whole lot added to the film!  Part of the Ennis was the fact that he couldn't express emotion very well..

But it would have been nice to see though..

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 03:25:22 pm »
I haven't voted yet because I really, really like both. The one in the movie is restrained and fits with not only Ennis' character but Ang Lee's directing style and film's entire mood.

As for the alternate version, I love that stumble. It's so sad. I like them both; they both are making me feel like crying right now.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 08:07:26 pm »
I didn't vote because there's not a happy medium (I sense a trend in my Libra - ness)

I love love love the breakdown, Ennis going red in the face, clamping down his grief - as he's had to do with his emotions his whole life - to avoid having the Twists hear him, literally staggering under the emotional blow, such intensity to a gut-wrenching scene.  I was already nearly sobbing aloud at this point in the movie.  I would have been hysterical had this been shown.

But I also like the scene as it is, the movie is a very very tidy work of art, nothing wasted, nothing lingered on too long, the emotion intense but spare.

I just have to download it and just keep comparing.  ;D

Thanks so so so much to the Brokie obsessed fans who managed to track this down so they could share it with all of us.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:07:37 am by delalluvia »

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 01:23:38 am »
Thank you thank you thank you!!! How rare and special and to see an outake.

I'm jumpin' on board with all who vote for a full set of outtaakes and cut scenes, moments, shots, plus ALL of Jack and Ennis' moments from the day they meet until the end. Please, Focus Features, if you are listening, please do he right thing and put those on the Deluxe DVD, and release it soon! Brokies are gettin' restless. Yeehaw!

Gimme outakes!

p.s. what was mistakenly posted before the "correct" clip/link?
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 03:18:12 am »
Let's see - if every moment that Ennis and Jack experience from 1963 to 1983 is shown in the deluxe edition, that would be 20 years for each, equals 40 years, minus one half the times when they are actually together for 3 or 4 times a year for 17 of those years.  If we sit down now with the remote and start to watch it, it would keep most of us busy well into old age and beyond.  Let's get started!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:34 am »
Actuarial tables suggest the remote possibility that I wouldn't have time to get through the entire 30-some-year DVD that Elle describes.  Anyway, I'd undoubtedly want to watch it more than once (reversing and replaying and slo-moing any number of key moments). And I'll have to admit, there are probably parts here and there (Jack making his umpteenth combine sale, Ennis castrating his umpteenth calf) that I might fast-forward through.

So personally, I guess I would settle for just all the moments they spend together.

Let's see. Two months (eight weeks), plus 16 years of, let's say, an average of 3.75 high-altitude weeks per year (60 altogether). So (retrieves calculator) that's 68 weeks, or 476 days (about 1.3 years), or 11,424 hours.

At 1.3 years, I would have time to watch it, actuarially speaking, approximately twice as many times as I've seen the movie so far.

That's gonna be some Deluxe Edition DVD!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:19:58 am by latjoreme »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 10:16:17 am »
OMG!    Can you imagine merging Brokeback Mountain with say..the Truman Show?

Live 24 hour a day coverage of Jack and Ennis filmed from every perspective! 

Jack making lunch for Bobby.

Ennis in the shower...  (oh my)

Jack out looking at new pickup trucks everyother year.

Ennis grocery shopping "where do y'all keep the BetterMost beans?"