Author Topic: DVD w/deleted footage  (Read 11014 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
DVD w/deleted footage
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:40:14 am »
RELAX!     It doesn't exist....yet!

Back when the movie Titanic came out in 1997, people were already screaming for an extended version.   James Cameron had cut out alot of scenes that didn't flow smoothly or made the movie too long or boring for test audiences.

He was quick to point out that the Theater version WAS the drirectors cut.   He after all, did the editing and that was his final version.   But after a while, I guess he figured he could double his DVD sales by releasing an "Extended version" full of the deleted scenes and actors commentary.

Well, the disappointing part was that the deleted scenes were not inserted back into the movie where they were originally intended.   You have to watch them in pieces on a separate disc.   Yeah, its nice to see more of the story and characters, but I'd rather have the full movie intact with those scenes in place.

I sure hope that Ang Lee or Focus features doesn't make that same mistake with our BBM.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: DVD w/deleted footage
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:43:40 am »
I agree, David.

Frankly, for me, if the deleted scenes aren't restored in their chronological position, I'd rather they not even bother.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:12 am »
I disagree. For one thing, I've got an electronic copy of a March, 2004 script, with a lot of the rumored deleted scenes in it. (Some of them were in the trailer -- Jack saying "If we're going to start working together, I reckon it's time we start drinking together." I might have the exact wording wrong; I'm going off memory of both.) And most of the deleted scenes wouldn't fit into the released movie. (The "drinking together" line occurs in place of "Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar," for instance, and there are a number of different scenes that lead to a version of the 2nd tent scene which, IMO, completely change the nature of the relationship on the mountain.)

I want to see the scenes, just because I can't get enough of Jack and Ennis. But I don't want them inserted into the movie, because they would be part of a different movie.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:30 am »
I'm the exact opposite actually, I want to see the extra scenes, but I do not want them inserted back into the movie.  I tend to agree that we already saw the "director's cut" and I'm afraid that adding more scenes to the movie would, for me, take away from one of the things that makes this movie so beautiful -- it's understated simplicity.  Ang Lee put nothing in there that didn't absolutely need to be in there.  I'm afraid that would change with the addition of new scenes.  I'd like to see them, but please don't mess with the movie!!

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 10:14:41 am »
I see what you're saying, nakymaton. I realize I'm splitting hairs over wording, but for me, I'd consider what you're talking about almost as "replaced" scenes, rather than "deleted" scenes. For example, if the "drinking" comment scene was "replaced" by the "Nice to know you, Ennis del Mar" scene, I'm not particularly interested in seeing it. What would interest me is any scenes that were simply cut but would "fit" back into the narrative. For example, I've seen stills of Ennis standing by the "grieving plain" where Jack's ashes will be buried, and of Ennis with a calf. I don't know if they were just publicity stills or shots from actual scenes that were cut, but if they are from cuts, I'd like to see them restored to their proper chronological place.

As to the effect of restoring the scenes, littleguitar, I appreciate what you're saying about the beauty of the simplicity of this film, but I guess I see this as almost a circular situation: You can't really tell the effect of these scenes on the overall film until you see them restored to their proper place. In the end, the effect might well come down to personal taste anyway. You may well feel they would take away from the movie, and I may well feel they would enhance it, and neither of us would be right and neither of us would be wrong. It would just be our personal taste.

Meanwhile, I'd just be happy to find a "full screen" DVD. All I can seem to locate is the "wide screen," and I've decided I want both for my video collection.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:55:02 am »
I see both your points.   But I see no reason why they can't release a two or three disc set.      One disc being the original version, the other the longer version, the third disc being "replaced" scenes and commentary.

LOL  I want it all!      Bloopers and out takes would be great too!   

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 11:04:52 am »

Meanwhile, I'd just be happy to find a "full screen" DVD. All I can seem to locate is the "wide screen," and I've decided I want both for my video collection.

That's easy. Order it from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGF0B4/qid=1150124335/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-7762499-3812162?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 11:08:19 am »
I see both your points.   But I see no reason why they can't release a two or three disc set.      One disc being the original version, the other the longer version, the third disc being "replaced" scenes and commentary.

LOL  I want it all!      Bloopers and out takes would be great too!   

I'm with you, David! It's all good!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:10:07 am »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 11:21:46 am »
Thanks, Leslie--didn't know Amazon had both versions. ~J.

Just think of me as your personal shopper, sweetie.  ;)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 11:26:12 am »
I'll just settle for any deleted scenes...

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 11:34:32 am »
I think I'd rather have deleted scenes be separate from the movie. Have they ever done that before, released a second edition with deleted scenes put back in where they were supposed to go? I've never heard of that, but I don't know nearly as much about movies as some people here....

Offline David

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 11:44:14 am »
I think what has happened in the past is that a long movie gets chopped up to be shown on Television.  Then after many years, the shorter version is the only one remembered and sometimes put on VHS or DVD.      Then they'll rediscover the longer theatrical version.  The movie The Abyss was like this.      So was the classic comedy "Its a Mad mad mad mad World".    They found 20 extra minutes of lost footage and put it in the original and re-released the movie on DVD.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 12:18:54 pm »
I think what has happened in the past is that a long movie gets chopped up to be shown on Television.  Then after many years, the shorter version is the only one remembered and sometimes put on VHS or DVD.      Then they'll rediscover the longer theatrical version.  The movie The Abyss was like this.      So was the classic comedy "Its a Mad mad mad mad World".    They found 20 extra minutes of lost footage and put it in the original and re-released the movie on DVD.

Same thing with "A Star is Born" with Judy Garland. Apparently that had some sort of botch editing job and the director was furious (for years). Then, sometime much later (like the 25th anniversary edition) they actually did a whole big restore--found missing scenes and put them back in. There are some parts where they could only find the audio, not the actual movie, so they added that in--it just holds on a picture and you hear the talking. The movie makes more sense with the added parts restored.

"Holiday Inn" with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby has a blackface number for Lincoln's Birthday. I watched that movie for years on TV and never saw that scene...and then I bought the video and there was a scene I had never seen before.

"Sunset Boulevard" was supposed to have a different beginning--the Joe Gillis character (William Holden) is in the morgue, talking with the other bodies in the morgue about what happened to him. Audiences hated this scene in the test screening and they changed it to what is there now. There is a fragment (just a few minutes, not the whole scene, which was 10 minutes long) on DVD of the morgue scene.

Leslie

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 12:53:07 pm »
You just know there is so much more we haven't seen yet..

Like this scene deleted from a camping trip.  Notice the BetterMost brand bean cans!

Or how about another view of Jacks arrival for the reunion kiss?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:51:38 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 02:16:08 pm »
The three Lord of the Rings movies were released with extra scenes put back in, so it's been done, and recently. For a lot of fans, the extended editions have become the definitive versions. (Not for me, though... I prefer the theatrical releases of all but The Two Towers, and I only prefer the extended version because I don't think the theatrical release was that good.) One of the downsides, to me, of having the super deluxe edition be different from the theatrical release is that all the commentaries for the LotR movies are on the extended edition. I would rather hear commentaries on the theatrical release, I think -- the LotR commentaries often discussed the missing material more than the choices made in putting together the initially released movie.

But, you know, I'll buy it regardless of what's on it. ;D

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »
Another movie that I thought did not benefit from being extended, Apocalypse Now... the Redux version  drives me out of my mind, and unfortunately that's the one I own.  Another one, Donnie Darko...

I don't know, I see what everyone is saying, but for me, the movie is as it should be and the deleted scenes, no matter how good, were taken out for a reason.  I want to see them because I'm curious, but I don't want the movie re-edited...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 02:37:29 pm »
You know, calling them "deleted scenes" implies that they were part of the movie, and then were cut out, for time constraints or for other reasons. But the script itself appears to have changed during filming -- even some scenes that aren't replaced by something else might not fit the development of the characters and the relationship as it ended up in the final edition. (The March 04 script I've seen has stuff that could be that scene David posted -- there's more banter about the beans that Ennis brought, including a comment from Jack about being willing to eat them out of Ennis's hand. ;D ;D And while I would love to see that innuendo (heck, I would love to see... no, I won't say it ;D ), and would love to see the line from the deleted hippy scene where Jack says "Ennis is pretty well hung-up," I don't think they would fit smoothly into the theatrical release of the movie.)

A scene of Ennis on the "grieving plain," though, would be lovely, I agree, Jeff.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 02:43:34 pm »
 :) when I received my copy of Sense and Sensibility which as you all know was directed by Ang Lee, there were a couple of deleted scenes in the features section - neither of those scenes would have added to the overall goodness of the film and I am so glad that they were deleted from the screen version :D

in my often humble opinion, I think that the scenes from most films that are deleted, weren't worthy of being in a finished film - that said, I am hoping that any deleted scenes from BBM are kept separate for viewing later if one wishes - in other words, the movie is perfect as is, no tampering necessary - sure I want to see them, but in a features section only................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline David

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 09:17:39 pm »
Bumping for the Evening crowd    ;D

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 01:44:58 am »
(The March 04 script I've seen has stuff that could be that scene David posted -- there's more banter about the beans that Ennis brought, including a comment from Jack about being willing to eat them out of Ennis's hand. ;D ;D And while I would love to see that innuendo (heck, I would love to see... no, I won't say it ;D ), and would love to see the line from the deleted hippy scene where Jack says "Ennis is pretty well hung-up," I don't think they would fit smoothly into the theatrical release of the movie.)

Hi Nakymaton,

Is there any chance you could e-mail to me, or point me towards, an electronic copy of the 2004 script?  I only have the Story to Screenplay, and the February 1, 2003 Screenplay (pdf file).  What you have mentioned so far is of  intense interest to me, I wasn't aware of another available screenplay.

thanks in advance if you are able to assist me,

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 02:02:57 am »
Thanks for posting those photos, David.  I cannot for the life of me see the BetterMost cans in the camping pics.  But I can tell what those pics are from - their first meeting shown after the reunion, when Jack is putting corn in the pot as Ennis drives up.  Ennis gets out and says, "Look what I brought."  People have said that what he pulls out and shows Jack    (based on a screenplay, maybe?) is a can of beans.

Offline David

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 07:37:06 am »
Thanks for posting those photos, David.  I cannot for the life of me see the BetterMost cans in the camping pics. 

If you go back to Reply #14 and look at the first picture, you'll see Jack holding a can of beans and Ennis is reaching for a can of beans!   

I think that is Jacks infamous "Blue Parka" that he is looking for in the scene with Lureen.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 08:31:25 am »

If you go back to Reply #14 and look at the first picture, you'll see Jack holding a can of beans and Ennis is reaching for a can of beans!   

I think that is Jacks infamous "Blue Parka" that he is looking for in the scene with Lureen.

I love the way Ennis's hand looks in that picture. Can't you just picture a silver ring on his ring finger? LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 09:00:03 am »
The view of the can that Ennis is reaching for is sort of blocked by what looks like a rock, and you can't see the label on the can that Jack is holding, but the labels are the color of the labels on the Bettermost cans.

Based on what the boys are wearing, I agree with Clarissa that it's the fishing trip where we see Jack putting ears of corn on to boil and telling Ennis he's late as Ennis gets out of his truck.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 09:02:10 am »
Aargggh! Those pictures are torturing me! It shows them happy & smiling & in love...

If there is any kind of god, spiritual being, whatever....the extra footage must be realeased!  I'm surprised it hasn't been leaked somehow, seeing as some of the props have come to light.  I guess the legal action is too threatening.  

Btw, is there anyplace where all the stills/screen caps from the extra footage is grouped together?  Only so I can go torture myself some more.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline David

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 09:10:04 am »
There are a lot of pics on the WWW.IHEARTJAKE.COM  site.    You'll need to register to see them full size.   

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 11:07:55 am »
I can see both sides, depending. Some of the deleted parts I've heard about I think might detract from the movie. The hippie scene, for example, sounds out of place. I would definitely oppose the inclusion of those rumored scenes that would make the ending less ambiguous. And I wouldn't want to mess with the movie's emotional restraint and mystery.

Other additions might be nice. The beans camping scene, for example! I've always thought that one was too abbreviated in the film -- the only way I knew "look what I brought" meant beans was from reading comments on BetterMost; originally I assumed he meant horses.

If Ang re-edited and used every bit of wisdom and discretion and artistic mastery that he used in making the original, stretching the movie as much longer as possible without changing the overall effect in any way, I'd be OK with it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 11:51:31 am »
If Ang re-edited and used every bit of wisdom and discretion and artistic mastery that he used in making the original, stretching the movie as much longer as possible without changing the overall effect in any way, I'd be OK with it.
:laugh: You want it all, don't you? I'm with you on this  ;D

And I agree, that there are some scenes I wouldn't like to have in the movie. For example another flashback while Ennis is in Twists' home. The sequence is just spot-on perfect. And devastating. Any addition could easily ruin it or at least be a distraction.

Gotta go now. Will write more later.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 12:03:29 pm »
I want the movie to stay exactly as it is.

However, I love watching the "not used" scenes on DVDs. I say not used because I imagine that is what they are. Deleted implies they were put in and then cut out, while not used implies that the director had one idea while filming but then while editing, his idea/vision changed. That's fine, it's part of the process.

I read that they spent a week filming the hippie scene and it must exist on film. Even if it is awful, it would still be fun to see it. We could all cringe and say ew, thank God they didn't put that in!!

L

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 12:05:39 pm »
I'm looking forward to the director's commentary.  Is Lee going to say anthing we've missed.   Sometimes voice over commentaries are very informative and sometimes they tell you, "yeah, ppl were reading all this stuff into this scene and it was just a spontenous moment with no intended sybolism." >:(

I was thinking of Jake's other popular movie "DONNIE DARKO." The restored scenes in the movie didn't add to the film.  I think ppl were looking more into the philisophy of what was actually going on in that film and the scenes didn't help answer that questions.

Adding deleted scenes could make the film more tedious, less sparse, but I'd still like to see more of Jack and Ennis bonding, so to speak. 

I wouldn't mind more exploration of Jack and Lureen's relationship.  We never see them in bed together and Jack  rejecting Lureen's advances.  :)  I bet that happened, if not filmed.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 01:42:53 pm »
I'm actually pretty desperate to see all the scenes that were filmed and that aren't in the film - whether it's parts of film scenes that were snipped for time, or scenes that were completely kept out of the film. I've got fingers and toes crossed that a Collector's edition BBM will include such scenes.

But, I do not think I'd like to see them added and inserted in the film itself. I want the scenes to come separately. The film is as near to perfection as it's possible to get it - the deleted scenes might too easily make it less so, since it's hardly possible to imagine it going the other way.

For one thing, several scenes that we know have been filmed would make the film less ambiguous and subtle, should they be reinserted. For instance, the second flashback and Randall getting out of Jack's car with those guys from the trailer watching, would go a long way to removing the doubt concerning Jack's fate.

Other scenes might change the mood of the film. While I'd absolutely love love love to see the scenes with innuendo and banter between Ennis and Jack, including the hippie rescue scene - I suppose that *would* break the slowly but surely mounting mood of gloom and frustrated longing.

Also, some scenes may not work for reasons we don't know till we've actually seen them. Nothing more than a tone of voice or a slightly odd facial expression may mean they don't fit in with the rest of the story and characterization.

Scenes that I'd most dearly like to see? Jack giving Ennis a gun and Ennis refusing it, immediately after the "I brought beans" scene. Since there are pictures available from footage from that scene than isn't in the film - as already included in this thread - I hope the gun-giving was actually filmed too. It was in a late version of the script, at any rate. Jack and Lureen rescuing the Malones after their car broke down, though I don't know if that was filmed - because of a line of dialogue Jack has there. And *any* scene of J&E hugging and being affectionate at the beginning of their final meeting - there are pictures floating around of that too - and I NEED to see that.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:46:57 pm by Mikaela »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 01:47:07 pm »
And *any* scene of J&E hugging and being affectionate at the beginning of their final meeting - there are pictures floating around of that too - and I NEED to see that.

Me too. I bet all those stupid people who objected to the sex/affection in Brokeback would be surprised to know how many of us desperately wish there were much MORE of it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 04:45:44 pm »
Back again.

I'm indecisive if I'd like to have the deleted scenes back into the movie or only as an additional DVD feature. I can see both sides: it may be too much and may undercut the restraint of the movie. But on the other side I would sooooo love to see at least a little more affection between our boys, esp. in the later years. One or two short shots of happiness wouldn't hurt, would they?

And for the extra material, I vote along with David and others: gimmie more, more and more. I'd like to see everything they shooted. And more, like David (was it you, David?) said. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack in the shower, Ennis working at a ranch, and every single of their trips during the 20 years  :)

And a detailed director's commentary would be nice, too. And more actor's commentaries. And anything with Heath' voice. As for me he could read a grocery list, it would still be great. Well, I guess I extravagate from the topic  and better stop now. Bet you get the picture anyway ;D

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 09:16:18 am »

Scenes that I'd most dearly like to see? Jack giving Ennis a gun and Ennis refusing it, immediately after the "I brought beans" scene. Since there are pictures available from footage from that scene than isn't in the film - as already included in this thread - I hope the gun-giving was actually filmed too. It was in a late version of the script, at any rate.

Hi Mikaela:

I did not see any pics of Jack offering a gun to Ennis, and Ennis refusing it.  Where did you see those pics?  And does anyone else have a problem with the iheartjake website in that every time you want to look at a pic you have to click down one page from the main homepage or something?  Is it me, or is that website f'd up?
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline David

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:31 am »
I haven't seen any gun giving still photos either.   Maybe it was just mentioned in the screenplay/script?

The IHeartJake site is kinda weird.   When I click on the gallery icon, it opens another window too.   Then the header is soo huge you have to scroll way down to see the pics.     Plus the some of the pics are huge!   So if I capture any I end up resizing them to something easier to post and as jpg format too.

I hate it when people post those gigantic pics where you have to scroll around to see different parts.  But I understand that not everybody has Adobe Photoshop on their computer.    I prefer Adobe Photoshop 2.0 actually.   I tried the newer versions but they have way more features then I'll ever use.   2.0 is easy enough for me to use!  LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 10:22:36 am »
I haven't seen any gun giving still photos either.   Maybe it was just mentioned in the screenplay/script?

It is in the 2004 screenplay that folks were talking about the other day. It is the fishing trip when Ennis brings the beans. In the movie it is very short but in the screenplay the scene is longer. Jack brings Ennis a gun as a present and Ennis refuses it, pointing out how much it cost and how could he possibly go back to Alma with such an expensive gift? Just reading it made me incredibly sad so I am happy I didn't have to see it on the screen. I would have been a wreck!

L

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 10:53:30 am »
I'd love to see all those, David.  :)

I'd just like to see a couple more scenes of the two of them talking together, either up on Brokeback or in that later camping trip like your first picture.  The chemistry between them is so palpable - even when they're just hanging out, so to speak - (and I still don't begin to get "people" who don't see it/feel it/smell it), that I just want MORE.
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 03:22:50 pm »
Hi Mikaela:

I did not see any pics of Jack offering a gun to Ennis, and Ennis refusing it.  Where did you see those pics?  And does anyone else have a problem with the iheartjake website in that every time you want to look at a pic you have to click down one page from the main homepage or something?  Is it me, or is that website f'd up?

Hi, I haven't seen any pics of this scene either, but in one script version it follows as part of the scene where Ennis brings beans to one of their meetings. The very beginning of that scene is in the film, but there are stills and outtake pictures from it (still with the food and beans - at least one such pic featured here ) that show that more was filmed of the scene than we get in the film. That's why I'm hoping that maybe they filmed the gun giving too.