Author Topic: Morning after  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Morning after
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 05:41:22 pm »
Apparently it is POSSIBLE to watch TS2 and not recognize that it's about more than sex (I've seen that comment on imdb a lot) -- but only if you're stupid.

LOL!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Morinig after
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 06:18:56 pm »

Come on now, that is one minuscule detail.

miniscule or not, I think it's weird, and I don't see how anyone could wear the same boots day in day out, no socks, and not get some kind of fungal infection from all the sweating into leather that hardly never gets to a chance to breathe nor dry out.

It's always been a puzzler to me...
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 07:30:19 pm »
Apparently it is POSSIBLE to watch TS2 and not recognize that it's about more than sex (I've seen that comment on imdb a lot)...

**mind boggles**

They *must* have made up their mind firmly about what they were going to see before they ever saw the scene or the movie.  I mean; -  it's about two gay cowboys having gay sex, isn't it?   ::) ::) ::)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 11:26:05 am »
I think I have a slightly different interpretation of Ennis's thoughts as he looks down on the sleeping Jack every time I see the scene! I love that. One interpretation is no longer than: "huh?

I've also seen someone describe his looking out through the tent flap as "looking to see if the world is still standing, given that everything's been turned upside down". I like that description.

But once Ennis has left the tent, he seems to me to deliberately be concentrating very hard on the immediate tasks at hand; -  horse's gear, checking the gun - so as to *not* have to think on what just happened. It's as if he's decided he needs to be absolutely alone in the solitude of the mountain before he can let himself try to make any sense of the previous night - as if he can't take the chance at letting those thoughts form and develop where someone else might see - even if that someone else is Jack.

I couldn't agree more about the ambiguity of BBM. It's impressive, amazingly consistent and one very important reason why everyone and every event in the film seems so human, so *real*, even after many, many viewings of the film. Real life and real persons always have more than one aspect to them, and more often than not they're very difficult to puzzle out, at least in full.

I am, however, extremely grateful that Ang Lee decided to forego the ambiguity in one respect: Through including the second night scene, he IMO removes any doubt or ambiguity about what has emerged between Ennis and Jack. Reading the short story one might conceivably be in some doubt concerning the depth of their emotions, - till significantly later in the story that is - but I don't think it's possible to watch the SNIT and not recognize that this is *so* much more than two guys seeking sexual gratification. The overwhelming depth of Ennis's emotions, the intensity of both their feelings, leave an impression that reverberates through all the scenes that follow.

Although I have heard the "I'm sorry" ... "It's alright" debate is taboo, I bring that up because I think it fits with Ennis' reaction the morning after. I do think he is processing the event. But I think he feels a lot of guilt, shame and the inability to fully comprehend what has just happened. Finding the dead sheep only plays into his guilt. But, after he has time to think about it, he is drawn back to Jack. You are so correct that the SNIT is more than just sex. It shows the depth of their feelings for each other. From Jack's gentle and reassuring caress and words to Ennis letting go of his fear and allowing himself to be vulnerable. It is certainly one of the most tender scenes in the whole film.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 03:22:17 am »
Oh my God, he wears socks in the movie and not in the book...  :o

Come on now, that is one minuscule detail.

Not to me, it's been filed away in my mental BBM mega-warehouse for months.  Besides, no comprendo "miniscule detail" with regards to this film. :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 03:06:47 pm »
I too must disagree about Ennis's initial reaction, looking at Jack the next morning. "Huh? That's him, and that was me? "..I can't desscribe his expression! But it ain't flattering, that's for sure.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 04:01:11 pm »
I too must disagree about Ennis's initial reaction, looking at Jack the next morning. "Huh? That's him, and that was me? "..I can't desscribe his expression! But it ain't flattering, that's for sure.

I completely agree. Ennis wasn't think about the day at hand. He was looking for a way to escape. Granted, I think as time went on throughout the day, he was processing the event. When he approaches Jack the first time .... "This is a one shot deal we got goin' on here ....", etc. ... he was speaking from his mind. By the time the night rolled around and he is sitting by the fire alone, he is  debating whether or not to go into the tent. He decides to go in. He listens to his heart instead of the inner dialogue from his father. This is one of the few time he allows himself to be completely vulnerable.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 10:21:05 pm »
bumped for our new HBO folk.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 10:41:15 pm »
Wow, thanks for the bump Phillip!  I'd forgotten how great this thread was.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie