Author Topic: Ennis and Jack's reunion after 4 years  (Read 2284 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Ennis and Jack's reunion after 4 years
« on: June 13, 2006, 09:41:45 pm »
I was just watching the movie again. Well, it seemed to me that at their reunion, when Ennis introduces Alma to Jack, and tells her they're going to go to a bar, and may stay all night drinking and talking, Ennis feels bad for having to lie to Alma. I think that in his own way, he loved her. He wasn't in love with her, but he did care about her. After all Alma was the mother of his kids. I don't know, but there's something in Ennis looks when he's putting his hat on to go with Jack, that made me think that deep in his heart he wished he didn't have to lie to Alma.

Poor Ennis. He was a total mess. He was happy and excited to see Jack after four years, and at the same time felt truly bad for hurting Alma. I'm not saying that he suspected Alma knew. I don't think he did, but he does notice that Alma feels bad and left out, I think. At the same time he couldn't help the situation, neither knew how to, although he sure wished he did. So sad  :'(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:18:41 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Ennis and Jack's reunion after 4 years
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:46:59 am »
I agree. I always liked Alma and think she really loved Ennis, in fact much more than Monroe. That she gets so upset with him at Thanksgiiving seems to bare this out. Ennis did love here iin his own way and was devistated at the divorce. If he was able to keep the "slow corrosion" at bay she might have remained married to him.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Catglith

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:15:50 am »
I always thought that Ennis was basically a good man - he was loyal, hard working, respectful and i think he wanted to be honest too so i don't believe he ever intended to decieve or hurt anyone. But his situation, fear and self hatred overpowered his good nature at times making him violent and/or selfish (when he blew up at Alma, when he threatened to kill Jack during the final lake scene, when he cut Cassie of cold after a long relationship). But really, considering the 'issues' he had and the daily anguish he lived with, it's totally understandable.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:33:22 pm »
It was amazing to me Ennis would have the nerve to tell Jack to come to his house. If it were me, If I were Ennis, I would say to him: "meet me at such and such" I think he had not thought it out when he told him to meet him at home, didn't realize what would happen when they came together. Had he known Alma saw them, he would probably put his hat on backward and fled. Insted it got postponed for years.

Ennis did care about Alma, but those feelings could not compete with everything else in the stew of emotion that was his life.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."