Author Topic: What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?  (Read 19328 times)

rtprod

What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:49:32 am »
    I can't pick one, but mine just might be:

Ennis after Lureen hangs up the phone

Ennis looking over at Alma immediately after dispatching the bikers

Jack after Ennis rides away on his horse during the flashback

Ennis' expression when he first pulls the shirts out of the closet

Ennis' reaction after looking out the trailer door after Jr. drives off without her sweater

Ennis' reaction when he looks out the window and sees Jack, just before going down the steps for the reunion

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 12:51:54 am by rtprod »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:51:08 am »
Mine is from the opening scene.
Jack pulls up, kicks his truck. Looks at Ennis. Makes like he's gonna head over to talk. Ennis looks away. Jack goes back to his truck and sticks his pelvis out in a sexy sexy way.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:51:14 am »
When Jack looks out at night and sees Ennis' fire, and when Ennis looks up and sees Jack on the mountain.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 12:53:11 am »
To me, the moment he pushes Jack and kisses him at the four years reunion remains my favorite. I literally forgot to breathe. I've never felt more connected with two characters in a film like I did with them at that mment.
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:57:03 am »
Ennis embracing the shirts
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 12:59:59 am »
I'm very fond of the shot of Jack napping up with the doggie by that twisted tree up on Brokeback.  I like naps.  Speaking of........*thunk*

Or Ennis hauling his drunk ass into the tent, crashing into everything.  Hey, I'm a sucker for slapstick.  Gets me every time.

rtprod

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 01:00:15 am »
Hi Meryl,

Great to see you here.

rt

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 01:11:36 am »
the entire opening scene is brilliant...

mine would have to be the close up of Jack's face right before he goes to lasso ennis.

also, Ennis after Cassie runs out of the coffee shop.

Jake says so much with his face in this movie though, I could pick about a thousand scenes with him
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 01:11:55 am »
Those moments before the second tent scene when Ennis is sitting by the fire obiviously struggling with should I or shouldn't I ...we can see Jack in the tent getting read for bed ...Ennis looks over and then rises and walks towards the tent..we cut to a barechested Jack obivously nervous comtemplaing well he or won't he and then Ennis is there at the tent flap, hat in hand and they lock eyes....priceless.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 01:14:54 am »
oh vic, that reminded me of another wordless moment, in the second tent scene when Jack takes Ennis's hat away from him, ennis looks down at it confused then up at Jack then jack touches Ennis's face... that whole scene is just absolutely beautiful
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 01:15:17 am »
Mine is from the opening scene.
Jack pulls up, kicks his truck. Looks at Ennis. Makes like he's gonna head over to talk. Ennis looks away. Jack goes back to his truck and sticks his pelvis out in a sexy sexy way.

I'm with Sparkle on that. I love that interchange. Just so subtle or not, depending on how you see it. In any case, so much communication without words.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:18:06 am »
Ennis waiting at the window for Jack before the reunion.

Heathen

Offline skinheadskippy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • ...For it is She.
    • Rock Solid
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 01:21:26 am »
I can't remember if this scene had any dialogue (except for the end of the scene when Ennis yelled at another guy and told them to go away), but what stands out the most is when Jack and Ennis part ways for the first time, and Ennis has such a strong, overwhelming reaction in the alley.
You're all genuises, and you're all beautiful. You don't need anyone to tell you who you are - you are what you are. (John Lennon)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 01:23:58 am »
Oh I just remembered THE ULTIMATE best wordless moment...

Ennis undressing while Jack is peeling the potato, you can just feel how badly Jack wants to look and never does... that is some amazing wordless acting!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 03:02:26 am »
Great thread, rt.  All hail the Silence of Ang!

The whole sequence after the first tent scene, starting when Jack says "See you for supper" and ending with the "one shot thing" line.  Brilliant.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 05:05:10 am »
Oh..so many moments.......

one I like ...so sad..was up on the hill after the first night in the tent ...when Ennis comes up and sits by Jack who is streched out on the ground...

and says..." This is a one shot thng we got going on here..."

Jack face next, head down ,eyes sheltered in the shadow of his hat.....almost see the pain ..that ache.....maybe a hope dashed...rejection..??

that silent moment is so special.....

sigh....seems like a while to me before he answers....

"aint nobody business but ours..."

its a beautiful scene ......but there are so many arent there...to be expected when you have two exceptional souls falling in love....

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 05:16:40 am »
Oh, you want to talk about the movie!  Yeah, I can do that.  Right now it's the look on Ennis's face right after saying, "Hell that's the most I've spoken in a year."  Or maybe I'll pick where the horses hooves are sinking into the soft, spongy moss.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 06:03:42 am »
When Lureen clears her throat on the phone and the tears well in her eyes, and when Ennis is telling Jack that August is out and flicks his eyes from under his hat to check on Jack's reaction.

Then there's the diving off the cliff scene....... but that's another story!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 07:01:16 am »
Oh, you want to talk about the movie!  Yeah, I can do that.  Right now it's the look on Ennis's face right after saying, "Hell that's the most I've spoken in a year."  Or maybe I'll pick where the horses hooves are sinking into the soft, spongy moss.

Ain't it funny, Elle, I always notice the hooves thing too.. It always goes through my mind how much I'd like to walk there..

I agree with Victoria's post about the 2nd tent scene..

Ray's post about Anne Hathaway's incredible acting on the phone..

Sparkle's comment about the pelvic thrust.. *mmmm*

And monimm's post about the reunion kiss..  I forget to breathe too..  :o
Chut up!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 01:26:15 pm »
Are you kidding?  The whole movie is a series of favorite wordless moments!

I guess the potato peeling scene, the moment just as Jack is moving his face close to Ennis' to kiss in the 2nd tent scene, Ennis' face at the table in Lightning Flat, the close up of Jack's face before he lassoes Ennis.

Jeez, why weren't these guys given awards for their acting! >:(

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
Ooooh this thread give me chills!!!

All of the above, plus:

1.  When Jack reaches over and touches Ennis' face right after the "Ain't no reins on this one" line.

2.  After Ennis comes down with the shirts, the nod from Jack's mom and the way she pauses with the rolled up shirts in her hand before putting them in the bag.

Crap, now I want to cry.

:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 01:56:01 pm »
Beautiful thread!

I'm agreeing on this one!:

After Ennis comes down with the shirts, the nod from Jack's mom and the way she pauses with the rolled up shirts in her hand before putting them in the bag.

But there are so many!! I like the one where Ennis comes back hurt (after the bear-incident) and Jack taking his scarf(?) off, dipping it in hot water to clean Ennis' wound, Ennis' taking it away from Jack and then Jack's look! So hurt. Hurt that Ennis' won't let him help him, hurt, also because he notices Ennis' reticence of being touched (so gently by a man).

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 04:11:32 pm »

Wonderful thread Rt!

I have to agree with Della that the entire film is full of beautiful wordless moments....so much is conveyed just through their eyes or the smallest of actions...

Here are some:

The 2nd tent scene.

When they are about to leave Brkback, Jack sees Ennis sitting alone on the hill so he goes to lasso Ennis...

The look on Jack's face as they're saying Goodbye afterwards - The look on his face as he is driving away.

When Jack reaches out to stroke Ennis' cheek after 'There ain't no reins on this one.'

The dozy embrace. (I know it's not all wordless but the part that is - it's breathtaking.)

The shirts....
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »
Besides every single thing you guys have said,  when Jack looks at Ennis right after he says ..."that's the most I spoke in a year."
That look gives me tummy flutters...this boy is in love.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 01:32:02 pm »
All the ones you guys said, especially every single second of the tent scene and every single second of the reunion kiss, not counting the Alma parts (I forgot to breathe, too, monimm!), plus:

In the first tent scene, right after they jolt out of bed, when Ennis slowly leans forward, then pushes Jack away, then reaches out and grabs Jack and pulls him closer and strokes his hair ...! Oh, and then when they're holding hands ... I'm forgetting to breathe right now.

When Mrs. Twist puts her hand on Ennis' shoulder, offering the only moment of comfort he will ever get.

When Ennis shoots the elk and Jack pushes him and then Ennis pushes Jack back. Oops, I guess that's not wordless. But what they're communicating is!

When Ennis rubs his blood on his and Jack's shirts. When he collapses in the alley. When he reads Jack's first postcard and his face lights up. When ...

Oh, I could just go on and on.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 01:42:08 pm »
So many! 

But one I love that I don't think has been mentioned - After Ennis asks Alma Jr "This Kurt fella, does he love you?" Then he looks away, out the window, and swallows hard.

One of my (MANY) absolute favorites...
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
Alma's reaction  ??? when she finds our boys  :-*
Ennis's face when he comes out of the tent ans it has snowed, what I like to call the "I have just stepped on a lego brick" face. :o
When Jack is trying so hard not to look at Ennis whilst he is wa(r)shing  :angel:
Lureen's face when it clicks :'(
Ennis laughing at Jack falling over ;D
Jack's face when he runs his tounge along his lip :P
The girls faces when they are asked "you girls need a push or sumpin'?" :-[
"Too early in the summer to be sick o beans"  :)
When Aguirre finds out that the boys have been stemming some roses >:(
Jack's mother when she wants to tell everything to Ennis :-X
Monroe giving Alma the eye ;)
Jack's dad being evil >:D
Cassie when she informed Ennis about her moving on :(
The Chilean sheep herders when they find out they have got their sheep mixed up :-\
Damn it they don't have a chatting one! I could have done Lashawn!

Ok I am going to stop now cause I think that is about all the characters I can match to emoticons! ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:55:57 pm by Becky »
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 02:34:25 pm »
Have a go, it is fun to play with all of the great emoticons and see how they relate to the expressions in BBM! :) ;) ;D >:( :( :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D :angel:
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:39:11 pm »
Mine is in teh opening scene as well, but I think it's slightly different than the one Stacey mentioned (maybe).  It's when Jack leans against the truck with his head down, and then sneaks a peak at Ennis from under his hat.  It makes me smile so much when I see that - it's like he's posing for Ennis. 

Also, Lureen's whimper on the phone - so well done, it makes me cry every time I see it.

And I agree - Ennis' face after he says "Hell that's the most I've spoke in a year". 

There are so many moments where I just get this huge grin on my face and I know I must look ridiculous to fellow (non-obsessed) movie-goers. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 02:41:59 pm »
I agree with all the ones mentioned, and would like to add the close-up of Jack after he gets out of the truck where he looks down and his hat covers most of his face, then looks off to his left (our right).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 03:11:21 pm »
I agree with all the ones mentioned, and would like to add the close-up of Jack after he gets out of the truck where he looks down and his hat covers most of his face, then looks off to his left (our right).

And supresses a smile, like he has checked Ennis out and is thinking, "Yesssss!!!!"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 03:16:09 pm »
I know! I love it!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 04:07:05 pm »
Like you all have said, there are so many!  If I had to pick my 3 favorite ones, they'd be:

- The first moments with Ennis and Jack outside Aguirre's office - the atmosphere around the boys was basically crackling with sexual tension (whether they realised it or not)...Ennis was like eye candy for Jack, teh way he blatantly ogled him was  :o..fabulous!

- The second tent scene - I watch this everynight before I go to sleep..sweet dreams from there on!  ;D

- The look on Ennis' face as he looks at the 2 shirts hanging in his closet.  After 20 years, that is all he could show for their love.. :'(

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 04:10:32 pm »
That second tent scene is a work of art as far as I'm concerned.  I also watch every night before I go to bed.  Then I look at my husband ,  and the bubble bursts...lol.
Seriously,  the way Jack touches him on the arm makes me think he's testing the waters,  and it is soooo sexy... ;D

Marlene Dietrich

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 04:19:22 pm »
Besides the many, many moments mentioned already, there's one wordless scene that just kills me.  At the end of the flashback scene when Jack is sleeping on his feet, Ennis rides off and Jack watches him go.  Cut to Ennis driving away after their confrontation and Jack watches him again, such a different look. 

All the emotions in Jack's face in both those scenes, it just wrenches my guts and heart everytime.  Probably being 39 now has something to do with it, but it's...ugh, I can't even explain it.  But that's the moment for me.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline opinionista

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 06:35:28 pm »
I like Jack's sad face when he sees Ennis on his horse riding away from him after their first night together. I know it's sort of hearbreaking but it looks like Jack is already in love with Ennis. He seem to wish Ennis would stay around for a little while and have a cup of coffee together.

Also, this scene sort of foretells the kind of relationship they had. Ennis always running away everytime Jack came too close, and Jack standing there all heartbroken seeing him go and wishing things were different. I don't know if you noticed but this scene is actually shown twice. The first time they were together, Ennis rides away and Jack stays at the camp feeling miserable. Their last time together (after the confrontation at the likeside), Ennis drives away, and Jack stays behind seeing him go, remembering the dozy embrace and feeling even more miserable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 06:38:47 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 06:55:46 pm »
You know, you guys amaze me.  20 times and countless videos, and I never put that together.  This movie just gets deeper and deeper.

Marlene Dietrich

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:00 pm »
    Ennis' reaction when he looks out the window and sees Jack, just before going down the steps for the reunion

rtprod - That's probably my all-time favourite worldless moment.

I like Jack's sad face when he sees Ennis on his horse riding away from him after their first night together. I know it's sort of hearbreaking but it looks like Jack is already in love with Ennis. He seem to wish Ennis would stay around for a little while and have a cup of coffee together.

Also, this scene sort of foretells the kind of relationship they had. Ennis always running away everytime Jack came too close, and Jack standing there all heartbroken seeing him go and wishing things were different. I don't know if you noticed but this scene is actually shown twice. The first time they were together, Ennis rides away and Jack stays at the camp feeling miserable. Their last time together (after the confrontation at the likeside), Ennis drives away, and Jack stays behind seeing him go, remembering the dozy embrace and feeling even more miserable.

Aww, opinionista, that's so heartbreaking...

Reading all of these has brought tears to my eyes. And I was so proud to have lasted over a week without crying BBM-related.

One of my favourite moments that I don't think has been mentioned, is the look that Ennis gives Jack when they first get to Brokeback Mountain, after Jack says: "I doubt there's a filly that can throw me. Let's get, 'less you wanna stand around and tie knots all day." The look that Ennis gives him there after Jack says that is so darn cute and sweet, almost as if Ennis is thinking: "Hmm, I wonder what this guy's all about anyway."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 08:38:46 pm »
Thanks littleguitar for reminding me about the part in the 2nd tent scene when Ennis is clinging to his hat and Jack takes it and puts it aside and Ennis looks after it like he's panicking/lost, but it's like Jack saying no more hiding behind hats.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2006, 09:12:53 pm »
Yep, it's good to talk Brokeback again.

Not my favorite, but surely one of them: the

ping

of the guitar string synched with a shot of the mountains with the mist rising off, the first morning Jack wakes up with the sheep.   That shot just kills me, it's so beautiful.  As with everything Ang, there are the physical properties (total gorgeousness) and the deeper purpose: they are in a heavenly place.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2006, 09:16:16 pm »
<snip> Ennis always running away everytime Jack came too close, and Jack standing there all heartbroken seeing him go and wishing things were different. <snip>
Isn't that what the movie is all about?  Why people react to it so?  That feeling of wanting to get close to someone who is scared and runs away.  Or maybe you were the one running and now regret it.  I guess I should just say that's what kills me about it, identifying with that piece. 

Oh what am I saying, there's a jillion things I identify with, lol.  But that aspect in particular is, uy, killer.

Juan

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 06:21:14 am »
You know, you guys amaze me.  20 times and countless videos, and I never put that together.  This movie just gets deeper and deeper.

Check out Brandon's video montage for this.  He does an awesome job of showing this.  It's around here somewhere.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 06:23:19 am »
Ennis sitting outside the tent by the fire, before going in.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 09:08:21 am »
Jack looking at Ennis sitting alone on the hill before they come down from the mountain.

Close second:  Jack watching Ennis ride away after the dozy embrace.

Of course there are so many wonderful ones, and I could go on all day - the movie is really about all the unspoken moments, isn't it?  But those are the two (other than the reunion scene - especially Ennis knocking Jack's hat off so he can get his hands on his face and hair - ROWR!) that I anticipate the most and get the most bang for the buck from every time.
No more beans!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 09:11:45 pm »
Oh, sure, I can pick just one....well, no. 
All that you all have described, plus...
From Ennis, who was wordless all too often -
In the motel scene, Ennis has been stroking Jack's forearm while they're talking and smoking, and when Jack says "Brokeback got us good" Ennis reaches his hand over a little further, holds on, and pulls Jack's arm tight around him.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:06:34 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Toast

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2006, 10:02:30 pm »
My absolute favourite moment is Jack, stepping into closeup, looking at Ennis after Jack takes his lassoo.  The look he has on his face is real love and caring from one human being to another.

I also love how Ennis tells Jack that it can't be, but he moves closer to Jack to let him know that he is not rejecting jack, just that it cannot be.  And then Jack touches him on the side of his face.  Perfect.

you are all right about the different scens you picked - this is a "silent" movie more than a sound experience. 

The more I think of the joy of watching Jack be so "carefree" and giving, I think of how good his Mom must have been to him - to let him express himself so well, even if the world did not accept him.  I would love to have a piece of her cherry cake.

Morey
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 10:35:53 am by Toast »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2006, 08:54:14 am »
Images worthy of a great photograh

1)  Jack lying down sideways while Ennis is standing up, right before they say the One shot thing we got going here.

2)  The flashback, before they start talking about sleeping on your feet.   

Both images have been recycled in countless magazines and publications. What do they say, sometimes an image is worth a thousand words....

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2006, 09:51:53 am »
The sound of Ennis spitting into his hand.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2006, 11:59:12 am »

I like that, too. Plus the sound of that first kiss in TS2.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2006, 01:28:45 pm »
I think Jack washing the clothes with just boots on.. that is a powerful scene.. so vulnerable.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2006, 09:35:33 pm »
Another one that's come to be in my top ten on recent viewings is right after Jack says, "I warn ya - I can't cook worth a damn.  Pretty good with a can opener, though."  He smiles to himself there with satisfaction of some sort.  I'm trying to figure out where it comes from - is it Jake coming through, just for a second, who of course can cook worth a damn and then some?  More likely, it's Jack just being satisfied at having said something he thinks of as clever.  On another level, does he maybe realize that a can opener can be seen figuratively as his ability to crack a hard nut like Ennis?

Or is it just a complete accident and I'm reading *way* too much into it?  Anyway, it gives me this warm little feeling of pleasure every time I watch him do it.   8)
No more beans!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2006, 09:45:52 pm »
I think Jack washing the clothes with just boots on.. that is a powerful scene.. so vulnerable.

I agree, I've always loved this but I'm appreciating it more and more with each viewing

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2006, 09:50:43 pm »
Mandy, I miss you :(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2006, 09:58:32 pm »
Awww! Thanks Brandon! I miss you too! 

That was the nicest thing anyone's said to me all week! I've been really busy with school the past couple of weeks so I haven't been around much  :'(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2006, 10:10:07 pm »

You're just poppin in to toss out a little bon mot here n there, ain'tcha?

Another - the sad, heavy horseback ride through the river after Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 10:13:05 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:05 pm »
Hey Barb,
Always liked that moment too, even more so on repeat viewings knowing the not-so-good-with-a-can-opener moment is to come.  I agree with your idea that Jack's happy about saying something clever.
 And he's happy about the fact that Ennis was responding to him, enough to give him a break from the 4 hour commutin and the smellin of cat piss.
No one, except Jack's mom and maybe Ennis' mom (we don't know about her except by inferring that Ennis got his gentleness from her), seems to have ever responded selflessly to our boys until they found each other.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 10:15:05 pm »
The look of agonized starvation beginning to be filled for the first time in years (ever?) on Ennis's face as jack holds him after they lie down in the tent.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2006, 10:17:52 pm »

You're just poppin in to toss out a little bon mot here n there, ain'tcha?

Another - the sad, heavy horseback ride through the river after Thanksgiving.

Hmm... the spit... I love that whole scene.. most of my copies are so dark I can't see what's going on (and I'm hanging out to see the "hand" thing) so I've gotten really good to just deciphering the moans between the boys...  so hot...    :o
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2006, 12:58:55 am »
The look of agonized starvation beginning to be filled for the first time in years (ever?) on Ennis's face as jack holds him after they lie down in the tent.

Yes!!! And I think it's ever. And until then he thought it would be never.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2006, 01:26:30 am »
Hmm... the spit... I love that whole scene.. most of my copies are so dark I can't see what's going on (and I'm hanging out to see the "hand" thing) so I've gotten really good to just deciphering the moans between the boys...  so hot...    :o
When that thread about 'did Jack reach back and take Ennis' hand' came up, I watched the tent scene and turned the brightness waaaaay up on my tv.  Oh man does it look good even brighter!  Wooof.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2006, 03:51:10 pm »
Okay, my favorite wordless moment is when Ennis steps into the tent in TS2 and we cut to an over-the-shoulder shot from Ennis' POV with Jack's face swimming up into close-up, and he's got his bedroom eyes going full force (someone asked me to define "bedroom eyes" the other day and I said "2 words: Jake Gyllenhaal!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2006, 01:47:11 pm »
I'm bumping this so everyone will have something completely different to read. Thanks, Amanda, for the idea!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2006, 03:00:47 pm »
Hi Lee thank!

I love Jack's face (speaking of Jake's acting through subtle/ spot-on facial expressions) during the reunion right after they break their first kiss and Ennis is caressing Jack's ear and jaw line.  The look of stunned emotion - half ecstasy and half wanting to cry - is beyond perfect.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 06:09:47 pm »
Ennis chugging like a freight train next to Alma's sink on Thanksgiving.

Ennis standing back to view the numbers he has just stuck on the mailbox.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2006, 06:45:59 pm »
The look of stunned emotion - half ecstasy and half wanting to cry - is beyond perfect.

YESYESYESYESYES!  (In other words, I couldn't agree more. ).

Everything about the J&E side of the reunion is one momentuous, perfect favourite (nearly) wordless moment with me. If I was to break it down into tiny little pieces, one of those pieces that very rapidy comes to mind is that thunking Nnnggghhh sound that Ennis makes when they first embrace; the sound speaking volumes about the satisfying, solid impact for body, mind and soul as Ennis is able to hold Jack close once more.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2006, 08:09:34 pm »
YESYESYESYESYES!  (In other words, I couldn't agree more. ).

Everything about the J&E side of the reunion is one momentuous, perfect favourite (nearly) wordless moment with me. If I was to break it down into tiny little pieces, one of those pieces that very rapidy comes to mind is that thunking Nnnggghhh sound that Ennis makes when they first embrace; the sound speaking volumes about the satisfying, solid impact for body, mind and soul as Ennis is able to hold Jack close once more.

Mikaela, I love how you worded this.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2006, 06:09:48 pm »
bump
Ich bin ein Brokie...