Author Topic: What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?  (Read 19316 times)

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
Re: What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
Ooooh this thread give me chills!!!

All of the above, plus:

1.  When Jack reaches over and touches Ennis' face right after the "Ain't no reins on this one" line.

2.  After Ennis comes down with the shirts, the nod from Jack's mom and the way she pauses with the rolled up shirts in her hand before putting them in the bag.

Crap, now I want to cry.

:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 01:56:01 pm »
Beautiful thread!

I'm agreeing on this one!:

After Ennis comes down with the shirts, the nod from Jack's mom and the way she pauses with the rolled up shirts in her hand before putting them in the bag.

But there are so many!! I like the one where Ennis comes back hurt (after the bear-incident) and Jack taking his scarf(?) off, dipping it in hot water to clean Ennis' wound, Ennis' taking it away from Jack and then Jack's look! So hurt. Hurt that Ennis' won't let him help him, hurt, also because he notices Ennis' reticence of being touched (so gently by a man).

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 04:11:32 pm »

Wonderful thread Rt!

I have to agree with Della that the entire film is full of beautiful wordless moments....so much is conveyed just through their eyes or the smallest of actions...

Here are some:

The 2nd tent scene.

When they are about to leave Brkback, Jack sees Ennis sitting alone on the hill so he goes to lasso Ennis...

The look on Jack's face as they're saying Goodbye afterwards - The look on his face as he is driving away.

When Jack reaches out to stroke Ennis' cheek after 'There ain't no reins on this one.'

The dozy embrace. (I know it's not all wordless but the part that is - it's breathtaking.)

The shirts....
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »
Besides every single thing you guys have said,  when Jack looks at Ennis right after he says ..."that's the most I spoke in a year."
That look gives me tummy flutters...this boy is in love.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 01:32:02 pm »
All the ones you guys said, especially every single second of the tent scene and every single second of the reunion kiss, not counting the Alma parts (I forgot to breathe, too, monimm!), plus:

In the first tent scene, right after they jolt out of bed, when Ennis slowly leans forward, then pushes Jack away, then reaches out and grabs Jack and pulls him closer and strokes his hair ...! Oh, and then when they're holding hands ... I'm forgetting to breathe right now.

When Mrs. Twist puts her hand on Ennis' shoulder, offering the only moment of comfort he will ever get.

When Ennis shoots the elk and Jack pushes him and then Ennis pushes Jack back. Oops, I guess that's not wordless. But what they're communicating is!

When Ennis rubs his blood on his and Jack's shirts. When he collapses in the alley. When he reads Jack's first postcard and his face lights up. When ...

Oh, I could just go on and on.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 01:42:08 pm »
So many! 

But one I love that I don't think has been mentioned - After Ennis asks Alma Jr "This Kurt fella, does he love you?" Then he looks away, out the window, and swallows hard.

One of my (MANY) absolute favorites...
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
Alma's reaction  ??? when she finds our boys  :-*
Ennis's face when he comes out of the tent ans it has snowed, what I like to call the "I have just stepped on a lego brick" face. :o
When Jack is trying so hard not to look at Ennis whilst he is wa(r)shing  :angel:
Lureen's face when it clicks :'(
Ennis laughing at Jack falling over ;D
Jack's face when he runs his tounge along his lip :P
The girls faces when they are asked "you girls need a push or sumpin'?" :-[
"Too early in the summer to be sick o beans"  :)
When Aguirre finds out that the boys have been stemming some roses >:(
Jack's mother when she wants to tell everything to Ennis :-X
Monroe giving Alma the eye ;)
Jack's dad being evil >:D
Cassie when she informed Ennis about her moving on :(
The Chilean sheep herders when they find out they have got their sheep mixed up :-\
Damn it they don't have a chatting one! I could have done Lashawn!

Ok I am going to stop now cause I think that is about all the characters I can match to emoticons! ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:55:57 pm by Becky »
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 02:34:25 pm »
Have a go, it is fun to play with all of the great emoticons and see how they relate to the expressions in BBM! :) ;) ;D >:( :( :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D :angel:
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:39:11 pm »
Mine is in teh opening scene as well, but I think it's slightly different than the one Stacey mentioned (maybe).  It's when Jack leans against the truck with his head down, and then sneaks a peak at Ennis from under his hat.  It makes me smile so much when I see that - it's like he's posing for Ennis. 

Also, Lureen's whimper on the phone - so well done, it makes me cry every time I see it.

And I agree - Ennis' face after he says "Hell that's the most I've spoke in a year". 

There are so many moments where I just get this huge grin on my face and I know I must look ridiculous to fellow (non-obsessed) movie-goers. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 02:41:59 pm »
I agree with all the ones mentioned, and would like to add the close-up of Jack after he gets out of the truck where he looks down and his hat covers most of his face, then looks off to his left (our right).