Author Topic: What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?  (Read 19196 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What is your absolute favorite, wordless moment in BBM?
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2006, 09:35:33 pm »
Another one that's come to be in my top ten on recent viewings is right after Jack says, "I warn ya - I can't cook worth a damn.  Pretty good with a can opener, though."  He smiles to himself there with satisfaction of some sort.  I'm trying to figure out where it comes from - is it Jake coming through, just for a second, who of course can cook worth a damn and then some?  More likely, it's Jack just being satisfied at having said something he thinks of as clever.  On another level, does he maybe realize that a can opener can be seen figuratively as his ability to crack a hard nut like Ennis?

Or is it just a complete accident and I'm reading *way* too much into it?  Anyway, it gives me this warm little feeling of pleasure every time I watch him do it.   8)
No more beans!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2006, 09:45:52 pm »
I think Jack washing the clothes with just boots on.. that is a powerful scene.. so vulnerable.

I agree, I've always loved this but I'm appreciating it more and more with each viewing
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2006, 09:50:43 pm »
Mandy, I miss you :(

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2006, 09:58:32 pm »
Awww! Thanks Brandon! I miss you too! 

That was the nicest thing anyone's said to me all week! I've been really busy with school the past couple of weeks so I haven't been around much  :'(
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2006, 10:10:07 pm »
The sound of Ennis spitting into his hand.

You're just poppin in to toss out a little bon mot here n there, ain'tcha?

Another - the sad, heavy horseback ride through the river after Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 10:13:05 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:05 pm »
Hey Barb,
Always liked that moment too, even more so on repeat viewings knowing the not-so-good-with-a-can-opener moment is to come.  I agree with your idea that Jack's happy about saying something clever.
 And he's happy about the fact that Ennis was responding to him, enough to give him a break from the 4 hour commutin and the smellin of cat piss.
No one, except Jack's mom and maybe Ennis' mom (we don't know about her except by inferring that Ennis got his gentleness from her), seems to have ever responded selflessly to our boys until they found each other.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 10:15:05 pm »
The look of agonized starvation beginning to be filled for the first time in years (ever?) on Ennis's face as jack holds him after they lie down in the tent.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2006, 10:17:52 pm »
The sound of Ennis spitting into his hand.

You're just poppin in to toss out a little bon mot here n there, ain'tcha?

Another - the sad, heavy horseback ride through the river after Thanksgiving.

Hmm... the spit... I love that whole scene.. most of my copies are so dark I can't see what's going on (and I'm hanging out to see the "hand" thing) so I've gotten really good to just deciphering the moans between the boys...  so hot...    :o
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2006, 12:58:55 am »
The look of agonized starvation beginning to be filled for the first time in years (ever?) on Ennis's face as jack holds him after they lie down in the tent.

Yes!!! And I think it's ever. And until then he thought it would be never.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2006, 01:26:30 am »
Hmm... the spit... I love that whole scene.. most of my copies are so dark I can't see what's going on (and I'm hanging out to see the "hand" thing) so I've gotten really good to just deciphering the moans between the boys...  so hot...    :o
When that thread about 'did Jack reach back and take Ennis' hand' came up, I watched the tent scene and turned the brightness waaaaay up on my tv.  Oh man does it look good even brighter!  Wooof.

What is essential, is invisible to the eye....