Author Topic: Pridefest 2006--NYC (still need a little help--see latest posts)  (Read 12500 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Hello sweet Tremblayans,

I’ve got a favor to ask. As part of my mission to spread the word about Brokeback and simultaneously raise money to help end homophobia and hate crimes, I’m going to try and sell some shirts at the mega huge Manhattan-based Pridefest that happens in 11 days. I’ve been running around town all week getting the required permits and licenses for it, and today is the day I can finally take those things to the festival sponsors and register to rent a booth.

Here’s the catch: I found out that the fee for getting a booth space is pretty hefty--$215 if I can persuade them to treat me like a not-for-profit (which I am, but not officially), and $365 if they decide to treat me like a normal business. I’m quaking in my cowgirl boots at that last figure—that’s more than the total amount I’ve raised so far from my online sales.

So, I am coming to you to ask for your help in sponsoring me to get a booth. If you can send me a small check (or a large one!) to help me offset my costs, you’ll be helping me to clothe new brokies and save the money I have already raised for the Matthew Shepard Foundation. Anything you send will either go towards the booth rental for the event, or will be sent to the Matthew Shepard Foundation if I make a profit at Pridefest. (People tell me I will have no problem selling tons of shirts, but I am a little nervous considering that I am about to charge a lot of money to my credit card to purhchase the shirts themselves.)

If you want to help out, just PM me and I will PM you back with my address. Thank you very very much!

Jenny

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 11:53:29 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Pridefest 2006--Can you help a brokie out?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:38:46 pm »
Jenny, it's a great cause and a great idea--I'll send something for your booth--I'll send you a PM immediately --

John
 :)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:26:03 pm »
From Jenny on the west coast to the Jenny on the east coast,

This is a great cause what you are doing, Jenny.  Thanks for doing this.  I maybe too shy to wear one of those T-shirts as I don't normally wear shirts with any words on it, but I will check it out to see if there is anything that is not so explicit or "nasty" that I may wear :).

I don't think we actually talked over the phone.  The phone was passed to me and as I was about to say hello, someone else asked for it as they wanted to talk to you, so what a bummer.  Anyway, hello!  I will be happy to help out a sister for a good cause, check your PM.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:45:31 pm »
Hey! Thank you to the people who have offered to help out! It all makes more $$ available for the cause.

I have excellent news! I went at lunch to get my actual booth space from the festival sponsors and they let me have the not-for-profit rate!! I had decided before I went that I wouldn't do it unless I could get it for that rate. I got it without having to bat my eyelashes or explain my story either, thank god.

So, even with that big break, any help I can get is still greatly appreciated--even a $5 bill from that coffee can where you're savin for that spread. I will still have to sell a couple dozen shirts just to break even at this point (of course, that just means the price of the booth rental--it doesn't count the several hundred $$ I'm spending to get the shirts in the first place--hopefully they'll go like hot cakes!).

:-* :-* :-*,
Jenny

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 04:21:17 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:51:31 pm »
Jenny, PM me your address and I'll send you a check.  I'm proud of you.  Love, Clarissa

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:01:24 pm »
Tremblayans love John Gallagher!

Nice sig line, Elle!!!

I'm PMing you now. Thanks, sweetie! :) :) :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 04:52:43 pm »
Jenny, a check is in the mail to you.  :-*

Good luck!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 07:49:18 pm »
Jenny,

I can't exactly make it rain money like L.D. Newsome, but I can help.  Check your PM.

It's great that you are so motivated to make this happen!  -- Alec
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:12:19 am »
Jenny-

Send me an address and I'll send you a check. Also, I want to order two hats like Barb's.

Ruby

O0

Heathen

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 03:29:52 am »
Jenny - count me in and PM me an address...I ordered a couple of new shirts from you several days ago so I must have been receiving a subliminal message.  Terrific cause and I'm happy to help.  You go girl!  And take some pics if you can swing it so we can share in the fun!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."