Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107639 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Why are we like this?
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:52:57 pm »
"Why do we care so much?  Who are we?"

Ellemeno asked these questions on another thread, one in which participants have been spending countless hours analyzing impossibly minute, almost invisible, details of the movie. I've long wondered those same things myself. What is it about us that makes us so crazy -- and I do mean crazy, but in a good way -- about Brokeback Mountain?

When I met Front-Ranger recently, we discovered that we both love fish tacos, and wondered, sort of jokingly, if there might be correlation between Brokeback-loving and fish taco-loving. (Results of a poll proved inconclusive, though did produce some good recipes.) Then yesterday I met YaadPyar and we were wondering, in a mystified way, what we all have in common that might explain this passion. I started reeling off what I assumed were obvious basic commonalities: "Well, we're open-minded, we like to analyze things, we like movies -- " and she stopped me to point out she's normally not all that into movies!

So what is it about us? I've seen this question raised before -- have raised it myself, in fact -- but I can't say I've ever been fully satisfied with the answer. We have different ages, genders, religions, sexual orientations, ethnicities, personalities, jobs, backgrounds, cities, hobbies, families, favorite cowboys  ;) ...  We even have different reasons to hang out at BetterMost: some love to dissect the movie, some more interested in building community, and so on. And if we do have a few things in common, those characteristics aren't exclusive to Brokeback-lovers. Lots of people who are open-minded and analytical and like movies preferred Capote!

The one thing we all seem to share (or at least, to have shared at some point) is this huge, unexplainable, consuming passion for one particular movie (and/or short story). But why?!?!??
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 11:00:41 am by EnnisDelMar »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:47:50 pm »
FOr one thing, I have to start out by giving credit to Annie Proulx for developing an eponymous story that applies to everyone no matter what our age, gender, orientation, location, etc. I like to think back to that day in October, 1997, when The New Yorker came  in the mail and think about you, me, Diana Ossana, and Randy Quaid (!) all reading the story at the same time and having the same reaction. If that isn't a universal story, I don't know what is!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:28:07 pm »
FOr one thing, I have to start out by giving credit to Annie Proulx for developing an eponymous story that applies to everyone no matter what our age, gender, orientation, location, etc. I like to think back to that day in October, 1997, when The New Yorker came  in the mail and think about you, me, Diana Ossana, and Randy Quaid (!) all reading the story at the same time and having the same reaction. If that isn't a universal story, I don't know what is!!

I agree totally, F-R, but in practice it's not universal -- lots of people enjoyed the movie or story or both, but weren't overwhelmed with emotions. (To be honest, I was one of those people in regard to the story -- I liked it a lot as literature, but then blithely moved on with my normal life -- until I saw the movie. I know that plenty of others, yourself included, who were originally moved by the story.)

So I guess the question is both, what makes this movie and/or story different from all others, and also, what makes US different from all others who were exposed to them, liked them just fine, but weren't consumed by them?

To put it in personal terms, what is it that is causing me, five months (five months!) after first seeing the movie to still wake up thinking about it every single morning? When I detach myself long enough to consider that, I find it just plain weird. I loved "Memento," for instance, but didn't think about it longer than a few days -- and then only in the most casual, occasional way. I realize Brokeback is a different kind of movie, with more of an emotional impact, but still ... ?!? I don't tend to think in these terms, but it's almost like a mystical thing.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
Shoot.  I wish I knew.  I'm continually being surprised both by people liking it whom I was sure wouldn't and by people not liking it whom I was sure would.

For what it's worth, one who falls in the former camp returned one of my two "lenders" to me yesterday and basically said he really liked it because it "stays with you" like a "great book you finish reading and find the characters live inside your head for a long time afterwards."  He said he prefers books and movies like that to fluffy ones that you walk away from and don't give another thought.

All the other common thread trial balloons I've attempted to fly have so far crashed and burned.  Is this one thing we all have in common?

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:29:27 pm »
All the other common thread trial balloons I've attempted to fly have so far crashed and burned.  Is this one thing we all have in common?

I know, they all have for me, too. I keep trying, though. It MUST be something mystical. Either that, or I'm going to have to join the "Ang Lee inserted subliminal one-frame messages in some copies of the film" camp, and assume that all those people who aren't here just saw different copies.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 04:49:20 pm »
I think it is because Brokeback Mountain is one of those movie that has a mirror effect (I don't know if that's correct). What I mean is that we all find ourselves represented in Ennis or Jack, or both and in their tribulations, fears, doubts, pain, happiness and unhappiness. It doesn't matter if we don't share their sexual orientation. At least in my case, I haven't seen a movie that depicts a love story so close to real life, as this one. Love is not about falling for a perfect person and living happily ever after, as it is shown in many Hollywood movies. Love is imperfect and hard to deal with. It's a struggle, as Jake Gyllenhaal puts it, and that's what Brokeback Mountain is about, among other things of course.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 05:00:22 pm »
That was very astute, opin! I've noticed that I don't necessarily identify with the protagonist in movies or with the person who is most like me, or even with someone who is the same gender as me. With Ennis and Jack, it was very easy to identify with one or both of them and slip into their character. Does anyone wake up after dreaming that they were Ennis or Jack, like I do? Or Alma or Lureen??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:08:28 pm »
Oooh, good question, F-R!  In "real life," I identify with different characters at different times, depending on the situation. But when dreaming, oddly enough, I'm not usually one of the characters -- I dream I'm just watching the characters, as if they were in a movie!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:21:42 pm »
Oooh, good question, F-R!  In "real life," I identify with different characters at different times, depending on the situation. But when dreaming, oddly enough, I'm not usually one of the characters -- I dream I'm just watching the characters, as if they were in a movie!

Same here.  When I used to dream about Ennis and Jack every night, it was as if I were just an extra in the movie watching them.  And we were all always in a bar or roadhouse or at a party at someone's house, for what that's worth.
No more beans!

gattaca

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 05:22:38 pm »
As a gay man (does it matter? I don't know why I felt I needed to say that), this film impacted me more than any other film I have ever watched. I am reeling.

I identify so closely with Ennis I feel like I've met my doppelganger. It reached into my heart and squeezed until it burst. I stuff feelings just like Ennis does. It's like Annie Proulx snuck into my head while I was sleeping and willed Ennis into existence.

There's more - a lot more - but I'm at work, so I'll need to elaborate a little later.