Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107611 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:32:22 pm »

I agree totally, F-R, but in practice it's not universal -- lots of people enjoyed the movie or story or
both, but weren't overwhelmed with emotions. (To be honest, I was one of those people in regard to
the story -- I liked it a lot as literature, but then blithely moved on with my normal life -- until I saw
the movie. I know that plenty of others, yourself included, who were originally moved by the story.)

So I guess the question is both, what makes this movie and/or story different from all others, and
also, what makes US different from all others who were exposed to them, liked them just fine, but
weren't consumed by them?

To put it in personal terms, what is it that is causing me, five months (five months!) after first seeing
the movie to still wake up thinking about it every single morning? When I detach myself long enough
to consider that, I find it just plain weird. I loved "Memento," for instance, but didn't think about it
longer than a few days -- and then only in the most casual, occasional way. I realize Brokeback is a
different kind of movie, with more of an emotional impact, but still ... ?!? I don't tend to think in
these terms, but it's almost like a mystical thing.

I loved "Memento", too. Before BBM. it was my favourite movie. But on a totally different level
and kind. Maybe this is the solution   ?

Seriously now:
The question you (and others) have raised is important to me, too. I have asked it myself many,
many times and still don't know the answer.
And I have discussed it with the only fellow-Brokie I know in person. Only thing that we were able to say about it, is that something like this (or even near like this) has never occurred to us before BBM.  Neither with a book nor a movie. If somebody had told me this three months ago, I would have denied it that something like this is the slightest possibility for me. If other persons told me they had such feelings about a movie/story, I would have said: get a life.

On the risk of sounding pathetic, the only comparison I can make in attempt to descibe the way BBM
has occupied my mind, is: it's like being fallen in love. I remember the feeling when you think of a person literally the whole day. Every waking hour this person is on your mind. Sometimes in the background, like under the surface of your mind. But always present and most of the time pretty much conscious.

But this is a story, not a person. And not even a true story, just fiction.
On the first sight, it has nothing to do with my personal life. I'm born in the late sixties in Europe and grew up and live in totally different circumstances (no cowboys far and wide  ;) ), I'm not gay, I'm happily married, have three wonderful kids and am pretty much happy and satisfied with my life. Though some minor things are bugging me in regard to my job-related future.

After some sleepless hours at night (sleepless hours because of a movie - unthinkable before BBM) I found out that BBM in fact has to do some things with my life in the past. For this it's an universal story, as so often said. Everybody can relate to one or another topic in BBM.

Okay - I have to get it out somehow. I never posted this anywhere, I began sometimes to write it down, but everytime I deleted it, because it's so personal. And I don't know whether I will be deleting it again or posting it this time.
Rather no big deal -but why the hell am I so hesistant of posting it then?

For me personally, it hit me during a waking night hour. After meeting a very special part of my family on a birthday party and reading a certain expression on IMDB later the same evening. That expression as "living in a shell" and it meant Ennis and Jack during the times between their trips.

I grew up in two homes, in two different places, I had two pairs of parents. One were my biological mother and father, the other pair of parents were my aunt and uncle. I called them "mom" and "dad", too.

I felt at home only in one of these places, only with one of my pairs of parents. Unfortunately this was not with my biological parents, but with my parents and sisters who were "officially" my aunt, uncle and cousins. But I had to live with my biological parents for most of the time.

Living in a shell. This is exactly how I felt during my childhood and teenage years. That was not me, that child who lived with my biological parents. It was not my true self. I just survived. I only felt really alive and happy when I was with my other parents and sisters.

And then there was a year during which I was not allowd to go home at all. My biological parents tried to cut off the contact between me and my family completely. For a whole year, I was not allowed to see them, not allowed to go home. Neither of my pairs of parents had a phone, so I could not call. All we could do was to write each other for one year.
This year was hell for me

All these things happened so long ago. More than 20 years ago. And I thought, I had come over it. The story had (and still has) a happy end for me. I grew up, I can call and meet my family whenever I want to.
And I met my husband and have a family of my own today.

Brokeback has stirred all these things up in me again.   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have been sitting in front of my computer for half an hour, considering whether to post this or not.
I'm afraid it has gotten somehow off topic.
It doesn't explain the phenomenon of BBM. And it explains only a part of why BBM is important to me.

I know in which way I can relate to the lives of Ennis and Jack. But I knew all these things about my life before BBM, I never forgot it. It's nothing new or groundbreaking.

I still can not understand why I am so captured by it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 06:38:58 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 06:44:42 pm »
Yes, I agree with U, it's exactly like being in love, that first wonderful rush of infatuation. But this is six months later!! Thank you for sharing your moving story Pent.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 06:58:17 pm »
Shit, that's hard. Seriously, Penth -- I don't mean that in a glib or joking way. It sounds like a really hard experience to go through. Thanks for finding the courage to share it here. And please don't ever worry about going OT on this particular topic -- it's such a difficult question that going OT may be the only way we can hope to get at the answers.

What is so mysterious about this is that all of us have different reasons for being here, all the differences in background and so on that I talked about in the OP. But when we start to describe our reactions we sound eerily alike.

When I read your description of your reaction, for example, I can relate exactly. It is like falling in love. But I would never, ever say that to anyone in the outside world. They would think I was nuts. And I would have to agree. In love with a movie? That just doesn't make any sense. Before January 2006, I wouldn't ever have imagined myself it possible, for me anyway.

Glad to know another Memento-lover! And you're right, it has a different kind of appeal. After I saw it the first time, I did spend a day or two looking it up on the internet, reading reviews and analyses. I read the original short story on which it was based (it was written by the director's brother, published in Esquire, and is very different from the movie). Anyway, the point is, five days later -- let alone five months later! -- I had moved on.

(Though a rental DVD of Memento happens to be sitting atop my TV as we speak! I'm going to watch it again -- my third time -- this weekend.)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 07:10:17 pm »
Why are we like this..?   and six months later still?

For me, this is the acceptance stage of the process.    BBM was a tramatic, painful experience.   Were talking basket case sobbing here.    Once I faced my own skeletons in my closet,  things got worse before they got better.   But along the way I found most of you over at IMDB.   And as the expression goes, there is company in misery.   

In absorbing all things BBM, I have learned to turn my pain into love.  Love for Jack and Ennis.    Maybe thats why I like Leslies "A Love born From Steel".   It is just more of our boys being happy, just the way they were up on BBM.   Just the way we all wish we could be.   :-\

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 08:00:38 pm »
But when we start to describe our reactions we sound eerily alike.
Yes, I've noticed this some times before. When I read other's reactions to it, I often think: that's like me. It is eerie or at least strange.

It is like falling in love. But I would never, ever say that to anyone in the outside world.
Neither would I. Nobody in real life knows how much it has affected me, how obsessed I am. My husband has an idea of it, because he knows how often I've seen it in theatre. But even he does not know the dimesion.

Glad to know another Memento-lover! And you're right, it has a different kind of appeal. After I saw it the first time, I did spend a day or two looking it up on the internet, reading reviews and analyses. I read the original short story on which it was based (it was written by the director's brother, published in Esquire, and is very different from the movie). Anyway, the point is, five days later -- let alone five months later! -- I had moved on.

(Though a rental DVD of Memento happens to be sitting atop my TV as we speak! I'm going to watch it again -- my third time -- this weekend.)

Yes, same with me. Memento was more intellectual challenging. I just did not understand everything at my first viewing and had to look it up online. Then I watched it again with the knowledge I read on the internet and (nearly) everything was clear. Then I was done with it.  I still enjoy watching it from time to time, I still like the movie - but when the movie is over, I don't think about it anymore.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 01:02:47 am »
Hey Katherine et al, well it's been a while but I couldn't resist posting in response to this excellent question, and I think I have a very simple explanation for the Brokeback-effect: the people who are moved by it are ready to heal.  Everyone has emotional baggage, but the worst thing we all do is settle for less than our hearts desire.  Or maybe there is one thing that is worse; we convince ourselves that we are undeserving.  We spend so much time lowering our expectations that we forget that we ever had any.  And in Ennis we see ourselves and the fruit of such an existence.

But as I said, it's not that we have issues to deal with, but that we are ready to deal with them - to be healed.  For me this was about letting go of the shame I had for falling for a straight guy a decade ago, building up a relationship in my head before one actually existed and then being too stubborn to let it go.  This is all just part of growing up to be sure, but so damaging was the fallout of this situation that I refused to let myself feel that sort of love again, and then there was the nice touch of a double helping of denial to make it all seem "ok".

Not being ready to heal is just like leading a thirsty horse to water, if the horse doesn't know that it's thirsty then it might not think to drink.  For viewers of Brokeback Mountain it's the same thing.  Someone may have the worst case of loneliness and regret in the world, but unless they are ready to face this, then all they will see is "just a movie" and nothing more.  For these people, I have nothing but compassion and understanding - I don't think they are "less" because of this, but I do think we are more.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 02:22:38 am »
Hey Chris, it's so great to see you! Our paths haven't crossed much lately, and I've missed you because I've always really liked your way of looking at things. You make a good point. I would bet many people on this site would acknowledge something in their lives -- a change they want to make, an event in the past they haven't fully reconciled, whatever -- that makes them connect with Brokeback.

Thanks for sharing your story of your long-ago ill-fated relationship. That must be hard to go through, with demographically limited choices and social prejudices making it all the worse. We all have unrequited loves, I suppose, but sexual-orientation mismatches must so complicate matters.

For me, it's about uncertainty in my current situation: I recently moved, my kids hate it here, my husband and I aren't getting along, everything's frustrating and chaotic. I don't usually relate to Alma, but sometimes I feel like her: sitting in pajamas drinking cold coffee, kids screaming in the background, husband off to ... well, in my husband's case, work. Other times I can relate to Ennis, feeling like I should make changes but afraid to upset the status quo. And other times Jack, ready for a better life but not finding someone willing to seek it.

On the other hand, I think another part of Brokeback-effect (good term, by the way!) for me is escape -- which I suppose means I'm looking for a way not to acknowledge and fix real life, but to stand it without facing it. Jack's and Ennis' world is heartbreaking, all right, but it's also such a comforting place -- someplace I can feel at home. When I watch the movie, it's almost (I know this sounds silly!) like I'm among friends.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 03:27:30 am »
 :) First of all - Hello!  I'm new to BetterMost.net, and new to Brokeback Mountain as well.  I saw it for the first time two weeks ago.

I haven't been stuck on this movie for 5 months but for these past two weeks it's all I can think about.  My husband thinks I'm slightly crazy although he never says so - he's a good guy.  In fact, I've convinced him that spending our honeymoon up in Calgary, Canmore and Kananaskis, Alberta is a great idea - where I can explore the filming sites.  I'm lucky.

I wish I knew why this movie grabbed a hold of me so much.  It's often the last thing I think about at night and the first thing I think about in the morning.  I don't think of Jack or Ennis as characters but as real people and friends.  The movie seems intensely real to me. 

I find myself insanely jealous of the love and passion between Jack and Ennis and I wish I had even a little bit of that passion for myself.  Don't get me wrong - I love my husband immensely ... but the passion of that reunion kiss is unmatched in my relationship!

Anyways I just wanted to say that I'm part of the club here, can't get Brokeback Mountain outta my mind!!  I'm sure you'll learn more about me as I post more often!

Looking forward to reading more posts!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 06:26:38 am »
I think there's also another quality that is common with Brokies, we all have as a core-value that a love like Jack and Ennis' is more than a real phenomenon, it is something that we have all been open to for as long as we can remember.  That knowledge that there is a person out there that makes your heart sing and completes you in ways that you couldn't even begin to imagine before you've met them.  As tragic the story of Jack and Ennis is, a Brokie see an affirmation of love that has the power to conquer fear, and yet doesn't because of fear.  All of us are text book demonstrations of the expression: when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 06:32:49 am »
Oh, and I nearly forgot to say that you for the lovely compliments, just at the very moment when I needed it.  *MWAH*  My cup of love floweth over! ;D