Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107101 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2007, 05:31:05 am »
True, but I wanna be right in  them or very near.  Even an hour to Julian is too far for me and Big Bear is way too far.   I want mountains in my backyard which is a big reason for going to Canada.

R

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2007, 11:33:12 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I read this too fast, and when I first saw SD I thought you guys were talking about South Dakota!!

South Dakota does kind of have mountains, if you can call the Black Hills mountains. But when you talked about being near the water, I thought, hmmm, that's a part of South Dakota I'm not familiar with!  :laugh:

I get it now.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2007, 12:33:35 pm »
Oh, yeah, sorry... San Diego!     :o :laugh:

Rayn

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2007, 08:43:51 pm »
I loooooooooooove San Diego.  I'd love to live there.  Had one of the best times of my life there.  My husband proposed to me on the beach at Coronado (at the Naval base there).  We had lunch outside at the Coronado Hotel the next day, and dinner in the best seafood restaurant I've ever been to the next night.  Wonderful, wonderful.

So many places I'd love to live in...  Sadly, none of them is Florida (where I actually live).  Another thing that haunts me is cities.  There was that song in the 80s - Glenn Frey's "You Belong to the City."  That pretty much says it all.  I've never felt so completely at home as I've felt walking the streets in cities like Chicago, New York (Manhattan), San Francisco, and London.  The mountains call out to me, and so do waters.  But I feel strangely disconnected around them.  Not so in the city.  Must have been a Londoner in a very lovely past life or something (too bad I don't believe in that, though).
No more beans!

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2007, 11:11:58 am »
Hi guys,

Just randomly browsing around the site like I do when I have a rare moment of indulgence, & I was struck by your words of feeling you were in a shell, because that is my experience too.  I grew a protective shell because of various childhood factors & although I have come out of it partially when something is such a part of you it is difficult to extricate yourself from it.  I identify with Ennis strongly as I feel he has a self-imposed shell & is very internalized. 

I don't think that everyone who gets BBM necessarily has this same experience & it's probably fruitless to ask, but you can't help being curious can you?   :)
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2007, 02:40:23 pm »
Why are we like this? My 2 cents: it is like having a cast on your leg for months and you can't scratch that itch, you may have even put it out of mind just to endure it. But when you are able to reach it, ahhh relief!

Ang Lee said: Its a story that been waiting to be told.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2007, 02:49:34 pm »
It's  strange thing.  A few days ago, I decided to drag the book on tape with me for my commute to work.  I have not had a BBM experience in perhaps six or seven months.  No film, no book, no soundtrack.  I listened very carefully (even though I know the book/CD backward and forward), and, while I was affected in sort of the same way, I found myself more critical of the writing.  I wonder if our collective reactions temporarily dull our sense of craftmanship.  I want to watch the film now to see what reaction I have to that...if it's similar to the reaction I had to the book after all this time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2007, 03:03:08 pm »
Well, if it was the Campbell Scott version, I'm sorry, it just does not do justice to the writing (even if his name is Scott!) If you want to appreciate good writing, you should read it. Either that or listen to the Rodney Giles version, which is read with love!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Scott6373

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2007, 03:06:49 pm »
Well, if it was the Campbell Scott version, I'm sorry, it just does not do justice to the writing (even if his name is Scott!) If you want to appreciate good writing, you should read it. Either that or listen to the Rodney Giles version, which is read with love!!

Oh I have read it many many times.  I can see the words on the page when he is reading it.  I am speaking of incongruities in AP's choices, not Mr. Scott's reading of it.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:25 pm »

What specifics are you talking about Scott?

Beautiful mind