Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107084 times)

Offline Tristann

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2006, 11:57:10 am »
Oi, this movie hit me hard. I'm still reeling. This is a movie that depicted real love like no other. It reminds me of the way I see love on so many levels. Someone once said, "who said that the great love of your life has to last?". How true. Hollywood tends to make us believe in the 'happily forever after', but no one made that rule. The love that Jack and Ennis share is in my mind the "great love" and even though they didn't get to spend their lives together, it doesn't detract from the idea that they were each others "great love". The movie does such a great job of portraying their love (even with all the questions one has) that I sometimes have to remind myself to stop worrying about Ennis and him being alone now. And when you have to remind yourself occasionaly that they were characters 'only' you realise what impact the movie has on your life.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2006, 12:20:30 pm »
Someone once said, "who said that the great love of your life has to last?". How true. Hollywood tends to make us believe in the 'happily forever after', but no one made that rule.

Yes, right on Tristann, love comes in many forms to many couples and while it's different for each, it 's also the same in many ways too.  Anyone who has loved, can understand others who have too.  Anyone who has known love is lucky to have experienced the abiding joy, unforgetable bliss and the sorrow when, like all things in life, it comes to a physical end.  But while it ends, it is not destroyed.  It lives on within us, in memory, in personal history, in stories and poems, in paintings and sculpture, in music and much more, in our cells, in our genes: though all this, we give it to the next generation to continue the great adventure.  Love is a mystery and a great adventure into the heart of humanity where we find both the destructive and creative forces within the Mind and what we do with those forces defines who we are. 

Peace,
Rayn

Offline Tristann

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2006, 02:39:56 pm »

Yes, right on Tristann, love comes in many forms to many couples and while it's different for each, it 's also the same in many ways too.  Anyone who has loved, can understand others who have too.  Anyone who has known love is lucky to have experienced the abiding joy, unforgetable bliss and the sorrow when, like all things in life, it comes to a physical end.  But while it ends, it is not destroyed.  It lives on within us, in memory, in personal history, in stories and poems, in paintings and sculpture, in music and much more, in our cells, in our genes: though all this, we give it to the next generation to continue the great adventure.  Love is a mystery and a great adventure into the heart of humanity where we find both the destructive and creative forces within the Mind and what we do with those forces defines who we are. 

Peace,
Rayn

Wow, Rayn! Really profound words and very well written. I'm thinking of making a couple of backgrounds for users of this forum and perhaps I can use your words on them if you don't mind? Let me know please. Again, thanks for the beautifull reply.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:18 pm »
bump
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2006, 11:24:06 pm »

Neither would I. Nobody in real life knows how much it has affected me, how obsessed I am. My husband has an idea of it, because he knows how often I've seen it in theatre. But even he does not know the dimesion.

Glad this tread exist.

i guess why we are like this for so many different reason, but mostly becasue we can relate ourselve with one or two things in the movie, and added up by how divine the characters are born, and how the  movie present their love stories.

the other movie i watch eagerly more than twice is harry Potter 1 and Titanic.

But with BBM, i stop counting.

Oops Bos coming, gotta go

see you around
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2006, 01:26:59 am »
Quote from: Penthesilea on June 16, 2006, 07:00:38 pm
Nobody in real life knows how much it has affected me, how obsessed I am.

Heya, this is a really interesting thing to note.  I'm the exact same way.  No one in my "real life" has any idea that I'm this obsessed with BBM.  Certainly no one knows that this board exists much less that I'm a moderator here, etc.  A few friends know that I love the movie and some even know how many times I've seen it in the theatre, but they don't really know about the whole world of Brokie-dom.  I find it sort of fun to keep it a little secret.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2006, 05:27:59 pm »
Thanks for bumping this thread, Amanda.  :D  It's interesting to note that I started this thread on June 16 and, more than five months later, I still don't know the answer.

So much has happened in that time! I've spent a cumulative (mumble, mumble) days here, and plenty of additional hours on imdb, discussing every nuance of the movie.  I've "met" (mostly online, but occasionally in person) lots and lots of Brokies -- some whom I have a lot in common with, and some I have very little in common with. I have found people whose paths would never in a million years have crossed mine if we didn't share this one big passion. In RL, I have good friends, compassionate and sensitive people whose opinions I otherwise respect, who don't really seem to "get" the movie and/or like it fine but aren't profoundly moved by it. When I point out why they should love it, they might gamely give it another shot but it still never really grabs them the way it does us.

So finally I've just come to shrug and accept it. I don't know why we're like this. It can't be explained in any rational way. It's almost like we've been mysteriously chosen.  ???

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2006, 05:59:25 pm »
In RL, I have good friends, compassionate and sensitive people whose opinions I otherwise respect, who don't really seem to "get" the movie and/or like it fine but aren't profoundly moved by it. When I point out why they should love it, they might gamely give it another shot but it still never really grabs them the way it does us.

I have good friends like these, too.  And I have to tell you all, ashamed as I am of admitting it (because it points to how arrogant I've become in my beliefs), I think less of them now than I used to.  And I think more of people I didn't used to consider to be good friends because they got it.  A lot more.  I actually judge people based on whether they get this movie or not.  It's no longer enough just to have seen it, though I certainly rate people who at least gave it a shot over those who refuse/aren't interested.  You have to have seen it and been moved by it.  I don't care if you're a bonafide Brokie or not - even just one viewing, as long as it haunts you, is good enough.

Am I a sick puppy, or what?
No more beans!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2006, 08:38:58 pm »
It's no longer enough just to have seen it, though I certainly rate people who at least gave it a shot over those who refuse/aren't interested.  You have to have seen it and been moved by it.  I don't care if you're a bonafide Brokie or not - even just one viewing, as long as it haunts you, is good enough.

Am I a sick puppy, or what?

Well, from another sick puppy, the answer has to be no!

I am somewhat like you, I cannot feel really close to people (even my formerly close friends) if they haven't given it a shot, or if they didn't like the film, or thought it was "ok".

I remember a similar thread on IMDb in the heyday of the BBM boards there, and mormojo (Scott) and I posted things along these lines:
"I am still processing, still trying to understand what I am going through; it feels like a spiritual experience, a spiritual awakening " (and this is from one agnostic bordering on atheism!). I am still not sure why we are like this, but our very souls certainly have been touched in a quasi spiritual way.

Someone earlier in this thread said maybe we were "chosen", in order to meet on these boards. This atheist gone barmy tends to think this theory is perfectly plausible!

All I know is that 10 months later (to the day), I am still utterly in love with the movie, with Jack and Ennis, and wondering whether this feeling will ever change; it might be altered somewhat once I have finally done what Annie said we were supposed to do (finish the story in our own real lives), but I do not think I will ever fall out of love with BBM. I have indeed been "awakened" from a boring slumber mixed with a lack of truthfulness about what I want in life and who I am (Ennis-style), and for that I will always cherish Brokeback Mountain.

God that was pretty intense and serious stuff, (hope it didn't sound too pompous) but it felt good to say it: I LOVE THIS FILM.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:32 pm »
You couldn't sound too pompous (or even pompous at all) if you tried, Isabelle.

I think that when the film art form is at its best is when a film actually changes you.  I can count on one hand the films I've seen in my lifetime that I would say have done that - that have actually changed the way I look at the world and behave in it - and Brokeback Mountain is amongst them.  And of the ones that I would count, Brokeback has changed me the most profoundly in that it is the only one that's helped me truly accept myself just as I am.  I swear I carry myself a little straighter and taller, look people in the eye more directly and deeply, and speak with more conviction and feeling than I ever have, and that it is because of this movie and its impact on me.

To people who say "It's just a movie," I say, "OK. Then 'Romeo & Juliet' is 'just a play' and the Mona Lisa is 'just a painting.'"  If they shrug that off with a "Whatever" or some such thing, I say, "Your loss."  Now, THAT'S pompous.  But I don't care.
No more beans!