Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107829 times)

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2007, 12:29:41 pm »
"Why do we care so much?  Who are we?"

Ellemeno asked these questions on another thread, one in which participants have been spending countless hours analyzing impossibly minute, almost invisible, details of the movie. I've long wondered those same things myself. What is it about us that makes us so crazy -- and I do mean crazy, but in a good way -- about Brokeback Mountain?

When I met Front-Ranger recently, we discovered that we both love fish tacos, and wondered, sort of jokingly, if there might be correlation between Brokeback-loving and fish taco-loving. (Results of a poll proved inconclusive, though did produce some good recipes.) Then yesterday I met YaadPyar and we were wondering, in a mystified way, what we all have in common that might explain this passion. I started reeling off what I assumed were obvious basic commonalities: "Well, we're open-minded, we like to analyze things, we like movies -- " and she stopped me to point out she's normally not all that into movies!

So what is it about us? I've seen this question raised before -- have raised it myself, in fact -- but I can't say I've ever been fully satisfied with the answer. We have different ages, genders, religions, sexual orientations, ethnicities, personalities, jobs, backgrounds, cities, hobbies, families, favorite cowboys  ;) ...  We even have different reasons to hang out at BetterMost: some love to dissect the movie, some more interested in building community, and so on. And if we do have a few things in common, those characteristics aren't exclusive to Brokeback-lovers. Lots of people who are open-minded and analytical and like movies preferred Capote!

The one thing we all seem to share (or at least, to have shared at some point) is this huge, unexplainable, consuming passion for one particular movie (and/or short story). But why?!?!??

O.C.D. maybe?

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2007, 12:40:59 pm »
O.C.D. maybe?

:laugh: Well, if so, it's very situational OCD.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2007, 06:38:28 am »
There's something I'd like to offer here.

I was thinking of movies that I like and why I like them and while I like all kinds, I really go for serious drama.  Brokeback Mt, Capote, Out of Africa, A Thin Red Line, The Messenger Joan of Arc, Gandhi, The Painted Veil, Total Eclipse, Death in Venice....  these are the kinds of serious drama I especially like.  They are spell binding, suspenseful, thrilling great stories, but all have one characteristic.  They are stories about good people who love intensely, accomplish much and lose everything. They are tragedies.

Truman Capote's love of his art and his loving sympathy for the men he was writing In Cold Blood about was clear, and he loses everything.  He can't even continue his writing very well after the heights he reached with In Cold Blood.   Baroness Karin Von Blitzen (sp?) in Out of Africa gets her title, an exotic life in Africa where she meets the great love of her life and loses him to a plane accident, along with her farm just prior. 

In "A Thin Red Line" the two main characters are opposites like Jack and Ennis.  Sean Penn plays the dark realist and Jim Caviezel plays the bright idealist who comes to terms with the evil in humanity by courageously facing it in war and, loses everything in the quest, is killed.  "Where is your bright spark now?" Penn asks over his grave?  All of these movies carry "a bright spark" we love, that is taken from us, extinguished.

No one needs to hear an explanation of how Gandhi, The Messenger, The Painted Veil, Total Eclipse or Death in Venice fit this genre.  In everyone of them the main character(s) accomplishes something great and loses it or is killed.   And watching them, we are thrilled and inspired by what they do and crushed by the outcome of the story.  They are dramatic tragedy at their best.

The big difference between Brokeback Mountain is that Jack and Ennis are common folk, like most people who watch the movie.  The only thing truly great or unusual about them is that they accomplish a 20 plus year love relationship against all odds. It's here we identify with them because they are not saints or holy men or great writers or soldiers, but rather ordinary men presented with an extraordinary situation in life and they take the situation, as best they can, and make something out of it that is intensely beautiful, memorable and deep.

I don't know about others, but that is why I relate to the story.  I see myself in the characters and know how they feel.  Brokeback Mt. is also one of the first films that I feel takes the feelings of men in love and gives us a story so close to reality that we continue to go back for more and more.   I love great drama, good comedy, interesting romance, incredible sci fi... We are all movie fanatics, I think, and being one, then finding a story that has the power of emotions like Brokeback is like a finding a gold mine.  We start digging and keep finding more to treasure and share.   But isn't that what great art of any kind is, a treasure chest of entertainment and shared emotions, something beautiful and rich to return to whenever we want.

And so we are the way we are because great art is the way it is... it will always have power over the hearts and minds of men and women.  That's what it's meant and made to do!

I Salute all Brokies! 
We're like Trekkies, just more down to earth!   ::)

Rayn
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:49:37 am by Rayn »

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2007, 11:01:05 am »
My book Dreamfilm: Brokeback Mountain Explored which explores many of the ways in which the film affects its audience is now available from the publisher at http://www.xlibris.com/Dreamfilm.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2007, 12:24:07 am »
Gee Thanks, merr7242!  Glad you liked my contribution here.

Peace,
R

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2007, 01:40:30 am »
Hey I forgot to mention a movie that fits into the Brokeback Mt. (tragedy) genre too, a fav or mine.  A River Runs Through It!   What a wonderful, sad, true to life tale, a real heartbreaker too.  The story, by Norman Maclean, is excellent too.

Rayn

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2007, 03:37:30 am »
It was directed by Robert Redford, won a couple of Oscars, the cinematography is awesome, the story is very poignant and touching, funny, but also very sad.  I like it because it's about three men, father and two sons, and of mother but the mother plays a lessor role.  There are other women in it too, but it' s very much a story about fishing, fly fishing in Montana.  I used to fish a lot when I was a boy. 

The relationship between the two brothers is, in some ways, similar to Jack and Ennis, strong brother-bond of feelings, but without sexual expression.  They're both very much non gay, non bi sexual men.  Anyway, it's a classic.  Hope you enjoy it.

Rayn

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2007, 05:07:44 pm »
I havent been on Bettermost as regularly as I used to be.....but lately have put in a few contributions.....

Today,I got a personal message from David, saying...."good to see you"....."Ive missed you"...."hope everything is ok with you".......

Getting David's message gave me the same feeling I get, when I see Ennis standing at the top of the stairs saying "Jack, fuckin' Twist".......

Maybe we are like this, because we all have the capacity to feel the same way................
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:22 pm »
Glad to see you back here again, too, Katie.

And Rayn and  Merrily, I own "A River Runs Through It."

"I am haunted by waters."  That line closes it.  And closes my life.  I am absolutely, irrevocably mesmerized by water of all kinds.  Always have been.  I moved to coastal Florida largely because I was entranced by it.  Nothing moves me like light and wind dancing on water.  I could die happy listening to a bubbling brook - I'd settle for a fountain.

Aside from that, I love the drama of The Prodigal Son.  There is the one son who does everything right - everything exactly the way his parents would want it - Ennis.  And then there is the one who just has that Spark of Life that cannot be denied - Jack.

Oh - were we talking about "A River Runs Through It"?  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2007, 12:52:37 am »
Hi Barb, Merrily and welcome back Katie77,

I love water too, which is why I lived so long in S. D. lilke Merrily, but I am really haunted my mountains most. so I will retired in some or near some one day, so they won't haunt me so much!

Rayn