Author Topic: Men jailed for gay barman murder -in England.Read on.....  (Read 2349 times)

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Men jailed for gay barman murder -in England.Read on.....
« on: June 16, 2006, 02:53:09 pm »
Men jailed for gay barman murder 

Two men have been jailed for life at the Old Bailey for the homophobic murder of gay barman Jody Dobrowski.
Unemployed Thomas Pickford, 26, and decorator Scott Walker, 33, admitted the killing at an earlier hearing.

Mr Dobrowski was walking across Clapham Common, south London, when he was beaten to death on 14 October 2005.

Prosecutors said Pickford and Walker had a "pre-meditated plan to attack a gay man". They were told they would serve a minimum of 28 years in prison.

Judge Brian Barker said the pair had only one intention when they went to the common - "homophobic thuggery".

Severely beaten

"It was Jody's tragic misfortune to cross your path. You subjected him to mindless abuse and showed him no mercy.

"In those few seconds you took from him the most precious possessions - his life and future."

Mr Dobrowski, an assistant manager at Bar Risa Jongleurs, in Camden, north London, was on his way home from a friend's house when he was attacked at about midnight.

This is unacceptable. We cannot accept this. No intelligent, healthy or reasonable society could

Jody Dobrowski's family

Killing is 'tip of the iceberg' 

He was found unconscious but died later in hospital from head, neck and facial injuries.

He was beaten so severely his own family did not recognise him and he had to be identified by his fingerprints.

In a statement, his family thanked the police, medical staff, victim support groups, witnesses, the judge and prosecution team and all those who had ensured "justice was served".

"In a free and democratic society, Jody's murder was an outrage," they said.

"Jody was not the first man to be killed, or terrorised, or beaten, or humiliated for being homosexual - or for being perceived to be homosexual.

"Tragically, he will not be the last man to suffer the consequences of homophobia which is endemic in this society.

"This is unacceptable. We cannot accept this. No intelligent, healthy or reasonable society could."

Walker and Pickford showed Jody Dobrowski "no mercy"

Gay human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said gay and lesbian people want to be able to live without the fear of homophobic abuse and attack.

"Sadly that isn't always possible," he told the BBC News website.

Both Walker and Pickford had been involved in an assault on another gay man in the area two weeks earlier, the court heard.

Walker had been out on licence for assaulting and threatening to kill his own mother and had met Pickford at a charity-run hostel for ex-offenders.

Walker's licence had expired the day before the murder, but he was still under licence at the time of the earlier assault.

After sentencing, police released details of the attack. Walker and Pickford crossed Mr Dobrowski's path on their return after a night of drinking.

"Following a brief exchange of words, Pickford threw punches at Mr Dobrowski," read the police statement. "Walker joined in the assault enthusiastically."

'Swollen pulp'

One witness who tried to intervene was warned off and told by one of the pair: "We don't like poofters here and that's why we can kill him if we want".

Officers arriving at the scene described Mr Dobrowski's face as "a bloody swollen pulp".

Mr Dobrowski, who was originally from Stroud in Gloucestershire, was taken to St George's Hospital in Tooting, south London, where tests revealed he had a swollen brain, a broken nose and extensive bruising to his neck and spine as well as to his groin.

He was so badly injured that a pathologist was unable to say how many times he had been hit but identified 33 areas of injury to his head, face, ears and neck.

gattaca

Re: Men jailed for gay barman murder -in England.Read on.....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:58:54 pm »
I read this and I think, sadly, that as a species we reallly haven't evolved very far at all.   :'(

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:17:04 pm »
Something inside me wants to apologize that anyone has to live in fear of this.  But I have it too.  I'm afraid of violence when I go out in certain situations.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:36:44 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »
I'm thankful that justice was served.  But shit.  :'(
No more beans!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:41:05 pm »
Ugrrr…

Just can not stand the intolerance we have in the society.  Made me so sad and angry, the killing and bashing because of people’s sex-orientation or race or others.

Just chat with a friend that I have known for years, only lost contact in the recent few years.  We had a big argument on BBM vs Crash.  It amazes me how she (well she is not the only one) appreciates Crash for addressing racial discrimination, but at the same time applies the same discrimination because BBM is about gay men. Sadly she is homophobic even though she said she respects gay people.  I hope our conversation will help her see how double standard and illogical her argument and fear is.  :(

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:38:58 am »
I notice the article says "homophobia is endemic in this society", talking of England. I know that gay bashing is not a daily occurence thank god, but yes, I have been saying that homophobia still does exist in its different forms in Europe. It makes me extremely sad.

If I have sounded negative before when I was saying that no, Europe is not so homophile, I am sorry: I didn't want to sound negative; I just wanted to point out that homophobia is not dead here, and that we shouldn't go to sleep on that issue here.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"