Author Topic: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out  (Read 17856 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 02:30:41 am »
Well, now I'm curious, David. How many times have you watched it? For me, it's "only" 14 -- about five times as often as I've ever watched any other movie, but in this crowd, it's practically newbie.

Oh wow! How many stars in the sky? ;)

I don't know for sure. I saw it 7 times at the theatre, and when I first bought the DVD I was watching it at least once a day for  a few weeks. Now I probably watch it 3 or 4 times a week. So, how long has the DVD been released (I bought it the very first day it went on sale). I'm not really great at math..... just a guess..... maybe 50? Is that bad? Am I obsessed? :)

Sorry, but I really don't know for sure. I lost count somewhere over the weeks and months! :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 10:28:54 am »
Am I obsessed? :)

Yes -- but in a good way! The same way we all are! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 07:43:22 pm »
Yes -- but in a good way! The same way we all are! :D

Thanks for reminding me it is a good obsession. :D

When I first bought the DVD, I watched it every night when I got home from work, and sometimes two or even three times a day on the weekends.

I am not  quite that obsessed with it anymore, but still obsessed none the less. ;)

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 10:42:34 pm »
Sorry David, didn't quite get around to the Wife-free version last night  :-\.

LOST was very  :o making and I think it ruined me for anything sensible!  Planning to try again tonight tho  ;).

incidentally, 50 viewings is impressive  :P

W

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 01:29:54 am »
Sorry David, didn't quite get around to the Wife-free version last night  :-\.

LOST was very  :o making and I think it ruined me for anything sensible!  Planning to try again tonight tho  ;).

incidentally, 50 viewings is impressive  :P

W

Oh well. Shucks! Well, if you do attempt it again tonight, be sure to let us know how it went!

And here I was all set to find out how it went for you. Well, as my dear mom use to say "all good things to those who wait". :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 03:28:46 am »
Somebody should time the various ways to watch:

Entire movie  :) :) :) : 134 minutes
No wives :P version: XX minutes
Only the good parts  :) version: XX minutes
Only the REALLY good parts  :D version: XX minutes
Only the REALLY REALLY good parts  :-*  version: X minutes ...  (note single digit :-\)
Totally happy  :D version (cut at "sending up a prayer of thanks): XX minutes
Only Ennis and Jack together  :-* :D :-* :D :-* version: XX minutes
Only sad parts version  :'( : XXX minutes (note triple digits, though it might seem like  :'( :'( :'( :'( quadruple digits!)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 08:55:45 pm »
Suddenly I began thinking about "Brokeback Mountain". And you know what? I "watched" Brokeback Mountain from beginning to end in my mind. (It is too  late now, but tomorrow I am going to go check and see if I missed anything). I actually saw the whole movie in my mind! I watched it. All of it, I think.

When I first saw the title of this message I thought .... hmmm ... what do you think I can do when the lights go out? (Let me give you a clue ... my boyfriend is in SC, I am in IN ... by myself. I won't explain any further).

Anyway .... yes, I can see the whole film in my mind. I am as obsessed as you ... I have lost count of the times I have watched this and it never gets old. I wish I could slow down, but I just can't give up my "fix" .... my "drug of choice". It doesn't hurt that these two guys are incredibly sexy!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2006, 12:28:42 am »
Wow David, you're good!  I never thought about replaying the entire movie in my head, even at the midnight hour!  I'll have to try it.  I think I can do it, too! 

I usually just let the visions unfold as they will, and I never quite know which scene will play out and when.  I can't help it, but the send night in the tent usually takes hold every night and if it does not keep me awake, will comfort me enough to allow me to sleep.  That image of Jack cuddling Ennis, kissing his hair and...oh well, you know... it is so sweet, so sexy, so right!  Watching Brokeback from beginning to end in my mind?  I can't think of anything more pleasant to fill the ocassional empty hours!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 12:36:57 am »
Wow David, you're good!  I never thought about replaying the entire movie in my head, even at the midnight hour!  I'll have to try it.  I think I can do it, too! 

I usually just let the visions unfold as they will, and I never quite know which scene will play out and when.  I can't help it, but the send night in the tent usually takes hold every night and if it does not keep me awake, will comfort me enough to allow me to sleep.  That image of Jack cuddling Ennis, kissing his hair and...oh well, you know... it is so sweet, so sexy, so right!  Watching Brokeback from beginning to end in my mind?  I can't think of anything more pleasant to fill the ocassional empty hours!

Littlewing - Yes, give it a try sometime! You will probably surprise yourself. It's really cool! :D

I love that second tent scene too. My favorite scene in the movie (and you probably already know because I have said it so many times on IMDb) is when Jack and Ennis are riding side by side on their horses and Ennis looks over to Jack and flashes that beautiful smile. I don't think Jack saw this because he continued to look forward the whole time. But I like to think he caught this smile out of the corner of his eye. I don't know why I love this scene so much. But I do! :)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2006, 12:54:32 am »

My favorite scene in the movie (and you probably already know because I have said it so many times on IMDb) is when Jack and Ennis are riding side by side on their horses and Ennis looks over to Jack and flashes that beautiful smile. I don't think Jack saw this because he continued to look forward the whole time. But I like to think he caught this smile out of the corner of his eye. I don't know why I love this scene so much. But I do! :)

Hi David925:

I think you have mentioned that scene twice now, in the past couple of days, and I'm still not sure which one you mean...  Not the one about playing the harmonica and scarin' off the sheep, no?

Are you speaking of a much later camping trip, when they are riding together and their horses are ever so close, almost touching?  Is that the scene?

'Cause in that scene, I love how the horses are justsoclose together, makes me think that they just want to get as close as they can to each other, (Ennis and Jack, not LSP and Cigar Butt  ;D)  even while out riding.  I sure wish Ang Lee hadn't scrimped so much on the tender moments of the later years.  That's why I find fanfic such a comfort these days, especially since I am suffering through a viewing embargo of the DVD and of Youtube.

Please let me know will ya, 'cause I don't specifically remember Ennis smiling, and that's just not right.

Jane
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."