Author Topic: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out  (Read 17852 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 01:16:04 am »
Hi David925:

I think you have mentioned that scene twice now, in the past couple of days, and I'm still not sure which one you mean...  Not the one about playing the harmonica and scarin' off the sheep, no?

Are you speaking of a much later camping trip, when they are riding together and their horses are ever so close, almost touching?  Is that the scene?

'Cause in that scene, I love how the horses are justsoclose together, makes me think that they just want to get as close as they can to each other, (Ennis and Jack, not LSP and Cigar Butt  ;D)  even while out riding.  I sure wish Ang Lee hadn't scrimped so much on the tender moments of the later years.  That's why I find fanfic such a comfort these days, especially since I am suffering through a viewing embargo of the DVD and of Youtube.

Please let me know will ya, 'cause I don't specifically remember Ennis smiling, and that's just not right.

Jane

Hi Jane! Actually I love both those scenes. My favorite one though is when Ennis tells Jack he is going to scare the sheep away (Jack is playing the harmonica in that scene). If you look real close, just after Ennis finishes talking, he looks back over to Jack and gives him a beautiful smile. It is a cute, sexy, beautiful, sincere smile. I can watch that scene over and over again. I don't know why I love it so much. But I do! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 01:28:39 am »
My favorite one though is when Ennis tells Jack he is going to scare the sheep away (Jack is playing the harmonica in that scene). If you look real close, just after Ennis finishes talking, he looks back over to Jack and gives him a beautiful smile. It is a cute, sexy, beautiful, sincere smile. I can watch that scene over and over again. I don't know why I love it so much. But I do! :)

yeah, ok, now I know the one.... ;D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 01:30:20 am »

Please let me know will ya, 'cause I don't specifically remember Ennis smiling, and that's just not right.

Jane

Jane... if you have the DVD, you can see the "Ennis  smile" if you jump to  the time 37:00:00 on your DVD player. You have to look closely, and to get a better look at the smile, pause it and  then zoom in on Ennis. (I do it all the time!). If you do, you will se what I am talking about. I would love to find a screen cap of Ennis in that scene. I'm still scouring the internet for one, and I haven't foundit yet! I'm going to keep looking though! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2006, 01:33:47 am »
Jane... When I posted that last message, I received a warning alerting me that both you and I posted a message at the same time!

But, I'm going to go ahead and leave the message there just in case someone else might want to take a closer look at the Ennis Smile.

I strongly encourage everyone to do so! It'll make your day. I guarantee it! :D

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2006, 01:49:17 am »

Jane... if you have the DVD, you can see the "Ennis  smile" if you jump to  the time 37:00:00 on your DVD player.

Hi David925:

Thanks for pointing out where to catch it on the DVD, unfortunately I have instituted an indefinite embargo on watching BBM.  So I won't be able to go look for it...  but... I know the smile you are speaking of!!  The one when Jack is playing the harmonica. I thought that there was a second scene of Ennis smiling at Jack that I could not remember, but I guess not.

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2006, 01:50:01 am »
David, I love how you know the exact time that moment occurs on your DVD player. And I agree, that is a very cute scene.

I can't think of anything more pleasant to fill the ocassional empty hours!

So true, littlewing! You know, it used to always annoy me if I got stuck waiting somewhere -- bank line, doctor's office, whatever -- and I didn't have a book or magazine to read. I hate just sitting there, waiting, bored. Now I never mind at all; there's always something I can be thinking about that's more enjoyable than anything I could be reading. In fact, even if I DO have a book or magazine, I'm likely not concentrating very well on it, anyway.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2006, 03:23:52 am »
When I first saw the title of this message I thought .... hmmm ... what do you think I can do when the lights go out? (Let me give you a clue ... my boyfriend is in SC, I am in IN ... by myself. I won't explain any further).

Anyway .... yes, I can see the whole film in my mind. I am as obsessed as you ... I have lost count of the times I have watched this and it never gets old. I wish I could slow down, but I just can't give up my "fix" .... my "drug of choice". It doesn't hurt that these two guys are incredibly sexy!

Diane - That is funny because just after I created this thread I began wondering what people would think when they read the  subject line. It does sound a little tricky doesn't it? ;)

I sure am glad to hear you can see the whole movie in your mind. And you live in Indiana too! Two Hoosiers who can watch Brokeback Mountain in their minds! Not too bad for a pair of Midwesterners!  :)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2006, 07:43:26 pm »
Jane... if you have the DVD, you can see the "Ennis  smile" if you jump to  the time 37:00:00 on your DVD player. You have to look closely, and to get a better look at the smile, pause it and  then zoom in on Ennis. (I do it all the time!). If you do, you will se what I am talking about. I would love to find a screen cap of Ennis in that scene. I'm still scouring the internet for one, and I haven't foundit yet! I'm going to keep looking though! :D

I love that scene (as I love so many). Ennis definitely smiles. I think it shows his unadulterated love for Jack. He is more open to his feelings because he is in the freedom of BBM. It is always in the mountains where Ennis can show his unfettered passion (for Jack). The tragedy is that he cannot allow himself to transfer that love, that passion off of the mountain. With Jack, Ennis can be his authentic self. Jack is the only one who truly knows and understands Ennis. Ohhhhhh!! This just makes me so sad! :(
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2006, 12:08:16 am »
I love that scene (as I love so many). Ennis definitely smiles. I think it shows his unadulterated love for Jack. He is more open to his feelings because he is in the freedom of BBM. It is always in the mountains where Ennis can show his unfettered passion (for Jack). The tragedy is that he cannot allow himself to transfer that love, that passion off of the mountain. With Jack, Ennis can be his authentic self. Jack is the only one who truly knows and understands Ennis. Ohhhhhh!! This just makes me so sad! :(

Diane - I think you hit the nail on the head. That smile does show Ennis' unadulterated love for Jack. I always thought it was so sexy and sweet looking, but I always knew there was something more to it  than simply being a "cute smile".

I can really see Ennis' love for Jack in that smile. I sure wish I could find a screen shot (cap) of that scene somewhere on the Internet. I would turn it into wallpaper for my computer. :D

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2006, 09:31:18 am »
Diane - I think you hit the nail on the head. That smile does show Ennis' unadulterated love for Jack. I always thought it was so sexy and sweet looking, but I always knew there was something more to it  than simply being a "cute smile".

I can really see Ennis' love for Jack in that smile. I sure wish I could find a screen shot (cap) of that scene somewhere on the Internet. I would turn it into wallpaper for my computer. :D

I think I've seen it. Let me do some investigation and I will attach if I find anything.

You know what really annoys me? All of the pictures with Heath and Michelle since they are a couple in real  life. Drives me nuts! This story is about Ennis and Jack. Get the women out of it! (am I not terrible!?  ::))
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."