Author Topic: For Those Of You Who Like Ghosts.....  (Read 11749 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
For Those Of You Who Like Ghosts.....
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:54:28 am »
Most Haunted Live (a British team of ghost hunters that investigate haunted buildings in Great Britain) will be airing a live 7 hour show from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania today, Friday October 10th beginning at 8:00 pm ET on the Travel Channel. The show will be broadcast live, along with live webcam feeds to the Travel Channel website.

So, if you like ghosts and ghost hunting, be sure to tune in to the Travel Channel this evening to see what they find in Gettysburg! :D

Find out more about tonight's show here http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Most_Haunted_Live

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: For Those Of You Who Like Ghosts.....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:45:44 am »

Sounds like a fun show!  :o

Enjoy!   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:08 pm »
Thanks Kerry!

For those of us in the eastern half of the country, the show is starting NOW!!!

If you live in the western half of the US, please consult your television schedule. I'm not sure if the show is live or delayed in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:44:47 am »
Oh, I've always wanted to go into a haunted house.....I mean a real place suspected of being haunted.

I'd probably end up running from the place, crying!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:35:45 pm »
Oh, I've always wanted to go into a haunted house.....I mean a real place suspected of being haunted.

I'd probably end up running from the place, crying! 
 :laugh:

That's exactly what did happen to me, Chuck. I grew-up in a beachside suburb of Sydney. Most of the homes were modest bungalows. On a hill nearby, however, stood a large, imposing, two-storey Italianate house, similar to those in Pollyanna and The Addams Family. The house was surrounded by a brambly, overgrown rose garden. A reclusive old lady lived there alone. Because she was so reclusive and was hardly ever seen, the neighbourhood children fantasized about her being a witch or, even worse, that she'd died in the house and somehow turned into a ghost.  One day, one of my playmates dared us to investigate the possibility of there really being a ghost in the house. We crept into the garden and, I'm ashamed to admit, found an open downstairs window, and slid inside. We weren't naughty children - just curious. Certainly, we weren't there to rob or vandalise. And I don't think the thought that we may have distressed the old lady even entered our tiny heads (there were 3 of us, all under 10yo). We were intent on finding ghosts!  I still remember what happened to this very day. I can still see the darkened, heavily draped interior, even though it was a bright, sunny day outside (I remember that too, because I recall the scent of the roses in the sun - something exotic and different for me, because we didn't have roses in our garden). But I digress. We didn't get but two paces inside, when there came a noise from upstairs of someone moving about. Well, you've never seen 3 kids move so fast in your life. We all tried to get out that window at the same time and hit the ground running. I'd never run that fast in my life. And that old cliche about being pursued by the boogie man while running in slow motion seemed to be exactly what happened to me that day. I couldn't run fast enough. Though I wasn't crying, my heart was beating like a steam train.

I walked through my old childhood neighbourhood just last weekend. The grand old house is now gone, replaced by a stylish apartment block with ocean views.

Funny how some things remain indelibly etched on one's conscience.   

No more haunted houses for me!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »
We had a haunted house in my neighborhood too Kerry! It was the old Skiles Test estate, nicknamed the House of Blue Lights. They tore it down in the mid 1970's but it stood abandoned for a number of years and we used to sneak in there all the time. There were many rumors and legends surrounding that creepy old mansion! :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:19:11 am »

Ooooooh, it even looks spooky!  :o

What's the drill there, David? Why was it thought to be haunted? Did something happen in the house?  ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:34:48 am »
That picture was taken back in the 1950s I think, when people were still living there. It was MUCH spookier after it was abandoned. We snuck in there all the time! I've always loved things like that, even as a kid.

Anyway, you asked about the house. It was built by Skiles Test a big real estate tycoon here in Indianapolis back in the early 1900s. He owned much of the land that now makes up northeast Indianapolis, including the neighborhood I grew up in. In addition to being extremely wealthy, he was also a bit eccentric. And it was because so many people viewed him as a crazy old man that so many rumors were sparked. He did do some rather odd things though. One year back in the late 1940s he hung blue Christmas lights along the all the eaves of his house. He liked them so much he ended up leaving them up and turned them on every night for decades. It was the blue Christmas lights that gave the house its nickname. He also had a three story guest cottage with a diving board attached to the third level of the building. The diving board hung over an olympic size solar heated swimming pool. He was a huge animal lover and owned dozens of cats. I remember seeing the cat cemetery out in his back yard. There was also a series of tunnels running from the house to various locations on the property. Two I can think of is the tunnel entrance just off Sycamore Hill (the road that leads up to my childhood home) which was built into a hill side. This tunnel led to the cellar of the mansion. Another tunnel connected the mansion's cellar to the detatched garage and care taker's house about 200 yards away.

The legends of the house included his wife being buried in a glass coffin and buried under the swimming pool. The legend goes that when his wife died, he placed her in a glass coffin and kept her in his living room with blue lights surrounding it. Then after a period of time, he buried her in the back yard and installed the pool over her grave. This of course is false. I believe both Mr. and Mrs. Test are buried at Crown Hill Cemetery.

Also supposedly a curse was attached to the property. If you trespassed, Mr. Test's spirit would haunt you until the day you died. I have never seen his ghost though and I went up there plenty of times! At least I don't THINK I've seen him. Sometimes when I'm at Dad's house I can hear strange noises coming from the location where the mansion once stood, but I think those noises are probably coyotes and other animals. It does sound very creepy though.

Another legend was the appearance of blue lights in the windows of the mansion even after it was abandoned. Now I do remember seeing those blue lights. Or at least I THOUGHT I'd seen the blue lights several times. It looked very odd, almost like a blue candle flame glimmering in some of the windows. But it could have been my imagination.

Anyhow it was a very interesting place and I was sorry to see it torn down.  :'(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:42:27 am »

Also supposedly a curse was attached to the property. If you trespassed, Mr. Test's spirit would haunt you until the day you died. I have never seen his ghost though and I went up there plenty of times! At least I don't THINK I've seen him. Sometimes when I'm at Dad's house I can hear strange noises coming from the location where the mansion once stood, but I think those noises are probably coyotes and other animals. It does sound very creepy though.

Don't you have a ghost in your basement, David? It's probably Mr Test!!!  :o    ;)    :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:59 am »
Don't you have a ghost in your basement, David? It's probably Mr Test!!!  :o    ;)    :laugh:

I think that ghost in my basement is a woman ghost. She's the ghost of a crazy woman. That's a long story too, but my neighbors knew the people who lived there before I moved in and they had activity down there too. They also knew the original owners of the house. And they told me someone did die in the house years ago. Apparently the wife used to stand down in the basement and bang on the pipes for her husband to come down and carrry up the laundry. Sometimes I can hear the banging late at night, and it's not my imagination because most of my friends have heard it too. It's really spooky sounding when it happens. I don't like it. :P

injest

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:51:53 am »
I am not reading this thread. Just to let ya'll know! I think it is just an attractive nuisance!! I know I will wind up reading it and then my husband will have to stay up all night!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 12:55:40 am »
Hey Jess!

BOO!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 01:34:56 am »
We also have the Hannah House here in town. It's still standing. The home was built by an abolitionist family back in the 1840s I think. Anyway the house used to be a stop on the Underground Railroad. Legend says that one night while a large number of slaves were hiding down in a remote part of the basement, a lantern tipped over and the slaves burned to death. And now from time to time you can smell the scent of burning flesh and the sounds of screams coming from the basement. Also doors are known to slam on their own, furniture moves of its own accord and shadow people are seen moving throughout the house.

They sometimes hold "murder mystery" dinners at Hannah House which are reported to be great fun. Also each Halloween a large haunted house is created (yes! a Halloween haunted house in a REAL haunted house) which takes you through several rooms of the house and also the basement. I've been there during Halloween and I remember feeling "presences" there on a few occasions! :o

injest

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:35:21 am »
Hey Jess!

BOO!!

AYYYAAEEEE

Stop that!!!

>:( >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 01:41:34 am »
AYYYAAEEEE

Stop that!!!

NO! >:(

I won't stop it!!! I will never stop it! >:(

It's too much fun! :laugh:

;) ;)

:-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 01:46:24 am »
And then there's the old Willard Library in Evansville which is supposedly haunted by "The Gray Lady". Willard Library was the closest library to my house in Evansville and I went in there all the time. It's a beautiful building and I must admit a bit creepy but I never saw anything unusual.

Many others HAVE though. So many people in fact that the Sci-Fi channel's Ghost Hunters made a special trip to Evansville to investigate the ghostly activity. They really didn't find much though. :-\

The Discovery Channel was also there, but I can't remember what they said they found, if anything. Web cams have been installed at the library and people all across the world watch them to see if they can spot the Gray Lady. Several convincing image captures have been posted on the library's website, so who knows really? ;)

http://www.willardghost.com/?content=ghostcams

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »
interesting stories guys!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 07:32:57 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

injest

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 08:57:43 pm »

injest

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
I am NOT reading this...but you people might like it!

http://www.solomontimes.com/news.aspx?nwID=2813

it is about ghosts!!

:o :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 12:15:10 am »
You can go ahead and read it Jess. It's not that scary. It won't keep you up all night with a fast ticker.

injest

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 12:20:24 am »
You can go ahead and read it Jess. It's not that scary. It won't keep you up all night with a fast ticker.

oh sure...like I would believe that story!

you just want me to read it so I will be up all night talking to you so the ghosts won't get me.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 12:32:06 am »
oh sure...like I would believe that story!

you just want me to read it so I will be up all night talking to you so the ghosts won't get me.

No! I wasn't planning to do no such a thing!

Where do you get those crazy ideas at Jess?

Those taxi drivers pick up ghosts at night! One taxi cab driver even said a ghost disappeared in his car! The man was in there on minute and gone the next! At first I was thinking it was probably someone trying to ditch their fare, but the cab driver said he later found out the man DIED a year earlier! And on top of that, they've been receiving phone calls from each other - and none of them are making the calls!  :o

So now nobody wants to work late at night in fear they might pick up a ghost passenger!

Okay. Now you don't have to read it Jess.

I'm a good friend, arent' I? ;)

injest

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:16 am »
AAAAYYYEEEIIEIIIAAAAIIIAYYYYAAAAA!!

you stop that!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 06:58:12 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 06:58:56 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 06:59:52 am »

injest

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 08:26:42 am »

AAAYAYYIUIYEEEEEIIIIIIIII!!

dang it...why do I come IN here!!??

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 08:30:24 am »
Masochistic tendencies?

No, wait....that's why we got to the Election forum.   :laugh:

injest

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 08:57:29 am »
Masochistic tendencies?

No, wait....that's why we got to the Election forum.   :laugh:

:P

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 11:45:03 pm »
Speaking of ghosts, what is the deal with Ghost Whisperer? I do not like this deal with them killing off her husband. It was bad enough when her best friend died and now this.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »
Here is something that I thought you would like David. It is about a man who goes and buys some old 45 records and they end up being his dead mother's.

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2071033.html

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:21 pm »
Eww that's kind of creepy, isn't it? It appears she wants those records to stay in the family. So she manipulated things from beyong the grave! :o

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 04:04:33 am »
booo that link doesnt work anymore - what was the story roughly?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/