Author Topic: Ashamed of being straight?  (Read 10394 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ashamed of being straight?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 06:26:47 pm »
Oh, and I always wanted to be Batman.

I always wanted to be Spiderman.

(Batman is the badass, though.   ;D)
No more beans!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 01:00:05 am »
As a child I liked Batman, now as an *adult* I prefer Spiderman. Weird.  :D

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 10:47:46 am »
I'm not sure I got my point across.  It's not really what I like or don't like - maybe the examples were misleading.  This was truly my point:

I think it's simply my mind is more hardwired masculine.

I virtually never feel I am 'on the same page' w/ women.  Someone somewhere on a thread asked, "What do women think?" - that could've been me.  It's a matter of who I relate to.

And I'd rather be Lara Croft!
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 11:19:29 am »
I'm not sure I got my point across.  It's not really what I like or don't like - maybe the examples were misleading.  This was truly my point:

I virtually never feel I am 'on the same page' w/ women.  Someone somewhere on a thread asked, "What do women think?" - that could've been me.  It's a matter of who I relate to.

And I'd rather be Lara Croft!

I'm with you 100% on this one.  I don't "get" other women.  I think I'd have a very difficult time writing a female character, but I have no trouble writing male ones (all in my head, mind you - I haven't dove into the fanfic pool just yet).  I imagine I'd be very much like Diana Ossana in that way - I'd want to write all the male characters' dialogue.  I think I just understand the rhythm of men - how they think, how they put into words what they think.  It's easy, really - there's nothing false about any of it.  In the rare case when a man is false, it bothers me much more than when a woman is I think because I don't expect it - it seems foreign.  Ed and I laugh all the time about the basic male thought pattern as being "Sex, sex, food, sex, sleep, sex, work out, sex, sex, work, sex, sex, sex, sex ..."  Whereas a woman's is - hell, I don't know what a woman's is because I think like a man.  I remember when Ed and I watched "As Good As It Gets" and the woman asked the Jack Nicholson character how he writes women so well, and he says, "I think of a man.  Then I take away reason and accountability."  We both laughed *way* too hard at that one.  It's not that I'm misogynistic - I love my woman friends.  Fiercely, in fact.  But I honestly wouldn't know what to do with a little girl had I had one instead of a little boy.  Unless she was boyish like I was.  But if she was a girly-girl who wanted to have her hair pulled back in all kinds of intricate ways and to wear frilly dresses and have a doll collection, I'd be at a total loss.
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 01:50:03 pm »
I'm with you 100% on this one.  I don't "get" other women.  I think I'd have a very difficult time writing a female character, but I have no trouble writing male ones (all in my head, mind you - I haven't dove into the fanfic pool just yet).  I imagine I'd be very much like Diana Ossana in that way - I'd want to write all the male characters' dialogue.  I think I just understand the rhythm of men - how they think, how they put into words what they think.  It's easy, really - there's nothing false about any of it.  In the rare case when a man is false, it bothers me much more than when a woman is I think because I don't expect it - it seems foreign.  Ed and I laugh all the time about the basic male thought pattern as being "Sex, sex, food, sex, sleep, sex, work out, sex, sex, work, sex, sex, sex, sex ..."  Whereas a woman's is - hell, I don't know what a woman's is because I think like a man.  I remember when Ed and I watched "As Good As It Gets" and the woman asked the Jack Nicholson character how he writes women so well, and he says, "I think of a man.  Then I take away reason and accountability."  We both laughed *way* too hard at that one.  It's not that I'm misogynistic - I love my woman friends.  Fiercely, in fact.  But I honestly wouldn't know what to do with a little girl had I had one instead of a little boy.  Unless she was boyish like I was.  But if she was a girly-girl who wanted to have her hair pulled back in all kinds of intricate ways and to wear frilly dresses and have a doll collection, I'd be at a total loss.

Maybe you could try focusing on yourself as a woman, and create a character from your own experience and perceptions. Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird is boyish girl, and I bet so was Harper Lee. She probably created her from her own experiences.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:16:44 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 02:37:14 pm »
Maybe you could try focusing on yourself as a woman, and create a character from your own experience and perceptions. Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird is boyish girl, and I bet so was Harper Lee. She probably created her from her own experiences.

Yep.  That's totally what I'd have to do.  When I think of all the female characters I've admired over the years, they've always been the more masculine ones, or ones possessing more traditionally masculine qualities than feminine ones.  Scout is certainly one of them.  And Jane Eyre.  And Ellen Foster (the young girl in the book of the same name).  And Offred in The Handmaid's Tale.  And pretty much every character Hilary Swank ever played.
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 11:26:14 am »
Guess I'm still straight...but straight WHAT?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters