Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1025089 times)

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1140 on: February 07, 2015, 08:21:45 pm »
Hey everybody! I really like reading this forum, 'cuz sometimes I find answers to my questions about BB. And also all these interpretations of the scenes and phrases the watchers share down here! This all is very interesting.

I work in the School of English language, I'm a call-center operator. I call the people on their mobile phones and invite 'em to visit our school here in Moscow. But often happens people don't want to speak with me (because it's advertising), and sometimes they ask: "Why on Earth do I need to know English language?!" This is my favourite question, but no matter, what I answer. The bottom line is what I want to answer. And I want to say them: You need to learn English to be able to read such forums like BetterMost.
But you know... this would be second thing I'd say. The first would certainly be: You need English to be able to understand, what is really the Brokeback Mountain movie is about ! ... smth like that ...
I already have said what's wrong with russian dubbing of BB (see my topic "request for help from Russia"), so I won't write everything down again. (P.S. Wrong is EVERYTHING, to be short)
I have no English-speaking friends here unfortunately, so there's no one who could hear my Brokieisms. And even russian official translation doesn't help, 'cause it's not what does original mean. But from now I will certainly say "What an unsatisfactory situation" instead of "Oh shit". Indeed, I can translate these two words (unsatisfactory situation) into Russian by my own and use it. But Jack said it in English, not in Russian. This never will be what he said. I need to go to Mexico to an English-speaking country so I could enjoy using Brokieisms, even if my conversationist won't figure out where this phrase came from.

P.S. I really love the topic's name! So-called "real life"? Ha-ha, that's true. The real life is certainly so-called! There's no other way to express my feelings about BM: after watching I come back to so-called real life.
An unsatisfactory situation with translation into Russian.

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
« Reply #1141 on: February 07, 2015, 10:05:15 pm »
No, it's a password. Or rather, a set of passwords. Including "shit, that's hard" and "fast or slow, I like the direction you're going," or ""this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" and so on. If you say those things and someone gives you a knowing look, they're a Brokie.

This has never actually happened to me, but it sure would be fun if if did!  :D
I long for the day when I use a Brokieism and someone gives me the look that says they're picking up what I'm putting down. It would be a truly fabulous day.
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1142 on: February 07, 2015, 11:44:18 pm »
No, it's a password. Or rather, a set of passwords. Including "shit, that's hard" and "fast or slow, I like the direction you're going," or ""this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" and so on. If you say those things and someone gives you a knowing look, they're a Brokie.

This has never actually happened to me, but it sure would be fun if if did!  :D

Oh, what a relief! I know the passwords. I was afraid there was a secret handshake, and even after all these years, nobody told me!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1143 on: February 09, 2015, 09:34:49 am »
And if they react in any noticeable way it's like a secret Brokie handshake!

LOL  :laugh:

I don't think I've ever seen someone react to a line from the movie except a known Brokie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1144 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:02 am »
I've always waited for the day when I meet someone in real life and one thing leads to another and we find out that we're both not just Brokies but BetterMostians!

Between Brokie gatherings and photos and the gradual accumulation of information, that seems less and less likely. I know what most of you look like, where you live, etc. If I'm in your city, I'm more likely to be seeking you out deliberately than running into you serendipitously.

But there are still a few I can think of who I could potentially meet and might not know right off the bat. That would be fun!

The closest I've come is when I was out with my brother and niece and niece's mom, and at one point niece's mom said she just LOVED "Brokeback Mountain," that it was maybe her favorite movie ever.

This was in Denver, years ago. It would have been funny if I'd said, "Front-Ranger ...? Is that you?!!" But by then I'd already met Front-Ranger in person (she was, in fact, my first in-person Brokie!). So no dice. Besides, any Brokie who lives in Denver I would have expected to see at the 2007 BBQ.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1145 on: February 09, 2015, 01:29:55 pm »
I've always waited for the day when I meet someone in real life and one thing leads to another and we find out that we're both not just Brokies but BetterMostians!

In a similar way I've always waited for the day when someone in RL draws the connection between the two little cowboy hat pendants I wear and BBM (and of course reveals themselves as a Brokie ;D). I've gotten lots and lots of looks at my necklace over the years. But never once did someone make the connection, or just asked me about them.
A few comments like 'they're cute' or 'nice hats', but that was it. And as the years go by and the movie is not in the general memory anymore, the chances tend toward zero.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1146 on: February 09, 2015, 11:07:16 pm »
In a similar way I've always waited for the day when someone in RL draws the connection between the two little cowboy hat pendants I wear and BBM (and of course reveals themselves as a Brokie ;D). I've gotten lots and lots of looks at my necklace over the years. But never once did someone make the connection, or just asked me about them.
A few comments like 'they're cute' or 'nice hats', but that was it. And as the years go by and the movie is not in the general memory anymore, the chances tend toward zero.

They probably just think, oh, she's been to the U.S. a few times, and most people over there wear cowboy hats, right? So that's her souvenir.  :laugh:

It would be like someone from here going to Germany and bringing back lederhosen. Or at least a little lederhosen necklace.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1147 on: February 10, 2015, 01:31:04 pm »
They probably just think, oh, she's been to the U.S. a few times, and most people over there wear cowboy hats, right? So that's her souvenir.  :laugh:

It would be like someone from here going to Germany and bringing back lederhosen. Or at least a little lederhosen necklace.  :laugh:

Now that would be something to see!   LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1148 on: February 10, 2015, 05:04:43 pm »
Now that would be something to see!   LOL

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1149 on: February 10, 2015, 08:19:31 pm »
Awww, but shouldn't it be two lederhosen, one inside the other, like two skins?  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"