Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1017246 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1280 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:55 pm »
 :laugh:

I think I've heard that quote is apocryphal, but if she did say it, I think she said "eat" (or, more likely, "mange") -- and look what happened to her!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1281 on: July 26, 2017, 06:21:45 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1282 on: July 26, 2017, 08:10:02 pm »

Well, there you go! She can't even exactly quote her own quote.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1283 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:27 pm »

I think I've heard that quote is apocryphal, but if she did say it, I think she said "eat" (or, more likely, "mange") -- and look what happened to her!

Even if it is apocryphal, the full line is, "If they have no bread, let them eat cake."

Again, even if apocryphal, the context had something to do with bread and/or food riots in Paris. Cake was so much more expensive than bread, that the quotation was supposed to show how disconnected the queen was from the people, also possibly how ignorant she was of the lives of ordinary people.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1284 on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
I just love the part where she says everyone got "pissy".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1285 on: August 01, 2017, 10:52:26 am »
Again, even if apocryphal, the context had something to do with bread and/or food riots in Paris. Cake was so much more expensive than bread, that the quotation was supposed to show how disconnected the queen was from the people, also possibly how ignorant she was of the lives of ordinary people.

Right. And she probably was. She lived completely apart from them, and there wasn't much if anything in the way of media to inform her.

On the other hand, I defended George H.W. Bush when everyone jumped on him for not knowing the price of a gallon of milk. Heck, I didn't even know it, and I bought it every week! I just knew I had to buy it for my kids, figured it was always somewhere around the same price, and was affordable enough one way or the other. George, who may never have gone shopping before in his life, had no reason to know it offhand.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1286 on: August 01, 2017, 11:40:04 am »
On the other hand, I defended George H.W. Bush when everyone jumped on him for not knowing the price of a gallon of milk. Heck, I didn't even know it, and I bought it every week! I just knew I had to buy it for my kids, figured it was always somewhere around the same price, and was affordable enough one way or the other. George, who may never have gone shopping before in his life, had no reason to know it offhand.

I wouldn't know it either, or, for that matter, the price of most things I buy at a supermarket. As a one-person household, I don't find it really an issue.

On the other hand, I'm not eating much locally grown sweet corn this summer, because the Amish farmer at our Reading Terminal Farmers' Market, where I buy my produce this time of year, is charging 75 cents a piece for one ear of corn. The price is lower if you buy a dozen ears, but I have no use for a dozen, again because I'm a one-person household. Sweet corn is best when it's freshly picked. Two ears are enough for me for one meal. If I bought a dozen, by the time I used them all, the last ears would be as icky as the frozen ears of corn you buy in a supermarket.

And then again on the other hand, I buy tomatoes from this same farmer and don't even look at the price because I know I can afford it. I'm just being obstinate about the sweet corn.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1287 on: August 01, 2017, 11:57:20 am »
A gallon of milk costs an average of $1.83 in my town, while a quart of milk costs $2.86! Discrimination against one-person households! Discrimination against cows and against mothers who hate to pour milk down the drain!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1288 on: August 01, 2017, 02:31:08 pm »
The price is always-or at least often--lower when you buy in bulk, or larger quantities, like my experience with the sweet corn.

I don't use much milk myself. I rarely eat any kind of cereal for breakfast, and I never drink the stuff--tastes nauseatingly awful to me unless it has chocolate in it. So pretty much I just use enough per day to whiten one cup of coffee at breakfast on weekdays, more on weekends. Occasionally I will use it in cooking (homemade mashed potatoes), but that's rare.

I don't understand how the price discriminates against cows.  A cow will give however much she's going to give, regardless of whether the dairy bottles it by the gallon or by the quart.

Of course I've never been a parent, but I would have thought a mother, or any parent, with more than one child would run out of a gallon of milk before any of it would spoil, but perhaps that varies from family to family.

I'd rather pay more for a quart and use it up before it spoils than pay less for a gallon and throw half of it away.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1289 on: August 01, 2017, 08:20:01 pm »
I'm just being obstinate about the sweet corn.

No, not you, Jeff!  :laugh:

*runs*