Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1017147 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #980 on: September 01, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »
I think it still echoes in all of our brains.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #981 on: September 15, 2013, 11:54:07 am »
Addendum to my earlier post: The other day, for some reason I can't remember, I was wondering what religion an acquaintance had grown up in, whether she was Catholic or what. But the way I phrased it in my mind was, "Was her folks Catholic?" I realized that I now always think about that situation using that sentence structure and grammar. My own folks was agnostic.

I'll probably say it that way out loud to someone at some point, and they'll probably wonder why I've slipped into folksy nongrammatical dialect, but it's such a short sentence they'll probably just let it pass.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #982 on: September 15, 2013, 11:46:50 pm »
The disagreement of verbs with their nouns in Brokeback Mountain is significant and telling. Plural with singular, singular with plural.

On a more general note, I can never get used to the European plural usage of the corporation. "BHP were" as opposed to "BHP was".
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #983 on: September 16, 2013, 01:24:20 am »
Not quite a Brokieism, but telling nevertheless:

A couple of weeks ago, I sorted through some old papers and receipts and found a receipt from my bank about exchanging Euros into US dollars. Only that the receipt was from 2004. Before Brokeback, I had never been to the US and didn't have any ties over the big pond.
Helen (my middle child) commented: "Why did you exchange dollars in 2004? That was before BBM!"

Even my kids divide the world into before and after BBM! :laugh:
At least sometimes.

After a while it dawned on me: that was the time before we Germans could buy English books from Amazon, and before paypal. So I used to buy books from Ebay US (and Ebay UK) and send cash in an envelope. The times, they are a-changin'...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #984 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:27 pm »
One of my co-workers brought home made apple pie for us today.
When another coworker saw the pie on the table in the kitchen, she said jokingly: "Oh good, then I don't have to bring out the cake I brought today!"

To which I replied: "Never enough cake!"

Only after I said it did I realise what I had actually just said.  ;D

I guess there's no going back. Brokeback is so deeply engraved in our souls and brains that we're not even aware of it anymore!    8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #985 on: September 21, 2013, 07:10:10 pm »
One Brokieism has come to mean a lot to me, and I find myself saying it again and again.  It speaks to a dark part of my soul:  "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it."
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #986 on: September 22, 2013, 10:40:58 am »
That's a good one, x-man. Only I hope you don't use it the way Ennis did, which was self-delusional. He could have fixed it, or at least tried, and wouldn't necessarily have had to stand it.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #987 on: September 22, 2013, 03:13:11 pm »
That's a good one, x-man. Only I hope you don't use it the way Ennis did, which was self-delusional. He could have fixed it, or at least tried, and wouldn't necessarily have had to stand it.

Thank you for the insight and candour of your reply--you obviously got my message.  But I fear there comes a time in life when trying to "fix it" reveals itself as the self-delusion, or perhaps more accurately as self-deception, and "standing it" is the only realistic course to follow.  You can't know how much I wish I were wrong.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #988 on: September 22, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »
I totally agree, x-man. In the words of the Serenity Prayer: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Poor Ennis didn't have the courage or the wisdom he needed.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #989 on: September 23, 2013, 09:45:52 am »
In what I wrote originally about this, (posting 985 above) I had in mind the ultimate conclusions drawn from surveying ones life, rather than those situations we face in the midst of life that can still be "fixed," gone on from, triumphed over.  Proceeding from the Serenity Prayer, perhaps the wisdom involved is knowing when to say "enough is enough."  I'm not talking about suicide, just the recognition that it is time to "stand it."  But let's take it back to BBM, and compare Ennis to George, the professor, in Single Man (postings 190--195 at that site).

Ennis and Jack were 19 when they began, 39 when Jack died.  Except for the first summer and their deepening love for each other, they had to "make it on a couple of high-altitude fucks once or twice a year."  When Jack died they were only 39, but Ennis faced a meaningless future, his life was going nowhere, and with all his hangups his prospects of finding a new Jack were remote indeed.  Ennis did not lack "wisdom" to "stand it:"  Given his whole being, he could do no other, except perhaps to sink into absolute despair.  He really was doing the best he could.  (And I will not comment on another man's courage.)

The situation in Single Man is similar in many ways, but different in crucial ones.  George and Jim were together, really together, for 16 years.  When Jim died, George had been grieving for a year before the events of the last day shown in the film.  I was irritated that after a year of grief George was not moving on.  I was taken to task by Southendmd, milomorris, and Jeff Wrangler for this shortsighted view, and I backtracked.  I agree that in putting away the gun George was showing that he was ready to "change it," to move on.  I still can't forgive him for turning away from those 3 gorgeous men, but he did show signs that, had he lived, there would be more gorgeous men in his future.  George was basically unlike Ennis and he was willing to go on.  (That he was not able to because of the heart attack is a subject for another time.)

So Ennis was doomed to "stand it," while George was still in a position to "fix it."  Add more years to their ages and chances of "fixing it" grow increasingly dim.  At the risk of sounding simplistic, I think the message here is: if you can, get it while you can, before it is too late.  "Never enough time, never enough time."