Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016924 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2007, 10:22:41 am »
"Du bist ein vierglich denker, hier?"

Sorry, my German is very rusty.  :)

Hey, that's quite close, Jeff! Very good  :) - and not rusty at all.

vierglich = wirklich

She said: "Ja, ja. Du bist ein echter Denker hier."

In German, the two words wirklich and echt both mean real.

Thanks, Little Darlin'!  :D

I'd still call it rusty, though. I should have remembered how to spell wirklich, and to capitalize all nouns (Denker). My pronunciation used to be pretty good, though.

I had one year of Deutsch in high school (after five years of French  :P  ;D ), and one year in college to fulfill the language requirement for graduation. The college professor was a native speaker, and she asked me if we spoke the language at home!  :o

Maybe you can take the family out of Rheinpfalz, but you can't take Rheinpfalz out of the family (we've been in Pennsylvania since 1748.  :P )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2007, 11:00:35 am »
Thanks, Little Darlin'!  :D

I'd still call it rusty, though. I should have remembered how to spell wirklich, and to capitalize all nouns (Denker). My pronunciation used to be pretty good, though.

I had one year of Deutsch in high school (after five years of French  :P  ;D ), and one year in college to fulfill the language requirement for graduation. The college professor was a native speaker, and she asked me if we spoke the language at home!  :o

Maybe you can take the family out of Rheinpfalz, but you can't take Rheinpfalz out of the family (we've been in Pennsylvania since 1748.  :P )

I'm looking forward to speak a few words German with you at the BBQ  :). I can even demonstrate the local dialect to you, as it is spoken hier in the Pfalz.

Do you know from which area your family comes?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2007, 12:04:25 pm »
I'm looking forward to speak a few words German with you at the BBQ  :). I can even demonstrate the local dialect to you, as it is spoken hier in the Pfalz.

Then you'll have to speak r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y and distinctly!  ;D

Do you know from which area your family comes?

My great uncle, now deceased, was an amateur genealogist. It's been a long time since I last looked at his work. Some of it wasn't that good, as it lacked real documentation, but if I remember correctly, the immigrant ancestor came from Zweibruecken (sorry, I don't know how to do umlauts here). Possibly the family roots go even farther back to Thuringia, to a Reformed Pfarrer who came from Thuringia to the Pfalz in the mid-seventeeth century.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2007, 02:38:48 pm »
es ist immer etwas neues!  ;)

another BBMism...I find myself saying "no whaay" in the manner Ennis did their first evening at camp along the river in response to Jack's "..it could be like this always".

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2007, 05:22:33 pm »
..., but if I remember correctly, the immigrant ancestor came from Zweibruecken

Zweibrücken is not far from me. About an hour by car.
Die Welt ist ein Dorf. (It's a small world)

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2007, 11:45:31 pm »
I was talking to my cousin about religion. I was not sure about what she believed in, and when I asked her she said that she was Penecostal. That was my opening to ask her- "What exactly is the Pentecost?" As I said that, I was laughing to myself because I was thinking about the way that Ennis asked that same question to Jack.

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #406 on: June 08, 2007, 12:29:55 am »
Delmardeb, that's not a Brokieism you get to hear every day!!  :laugh:

So what exactly IS the Pentacost?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #407 on: June 08, 2007, 08:35:43 am »
Delmardeb, that's not a Brokieism you get to hear every day!!  :laugh:

So what exactly IS the Pentacost?

You can read about the Pentacost in Acts.
The Pentacost is when the Holy Spirit descended on the  Believers. They spoke in tounges and preformed Miracles. Up until that time the Holy Spirit had been in Heaven with the Father and the Son. After Christ Ascended into Heaven the Holy Spirit Descended to be with us on Earth.
The Pentacost was the day that happened.
Now, Some people believe that after the Day of Pentacost people no longer speak in tounges or heal or do any of the things that were don on the day of Pentacost. Some do believe that those things are still to be done and are gifts of the spirit. Those who believe that are called Pentacostals.
Thats my understanding, you results may differ.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2007, 05:33:46 pm »
Any time the opportunity presents itself, which is pretty often.......I say, "me neither"  like Jack said it, and I always think of Jack when I say it, a pleasant thing in itself.  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2007, 05:46:12 pm »

I find most Brokies never lose the opportunity to use the lingo from the film and book as often as
it presents itself.. I find myself using" sure enough "a lot.. and" very good."..They are easy to use in everyday language.

Beautiful mind