Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1017404 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #440 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:14 am »
I keep seeing a FOR SALE sign, nailed to a fence on a property, along the road i travel into town......

As I pass, I only get to read the first few words of the sign, and they are .......COW AND CALF.......

And everytime I see it, I hear Jack talking to Ennis about "maybe havin a cow and calf operation goin"
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #441 on: June 20, 2007, 09:41:17 am »
I keep seeing a FOR SALE sign, nailed to a fence on a property, along the road i travel into town......

As I pass, I only get to read the first few words of the sign, and they are .......COW AND CALF.......

And everytime I see it, I hear Jack talking to Ennis about "maybe havin a cow and calf operation goin"

I just *love* this thread  :D.  It's so amazing that this long after the movie we these allusions crop up in our day-to-day lives regularly.

Katie - yours reminds me of a realty sign I see on my commute, which I believe I've reported before - It's for 'Farm and Home Realty' but my brain always translates it to 'Farm and Ranch'.

And I have a new one!  Today, I noticed that one of the 'founding' families in Winchester, TN - the Henley's (they own sawmills, lumberyards, etc...) - have opened a new business.  Below the words 'Henley's Self-Storage' were "Trailers for Sale or Rent".  Because the line was in quotes, I have to believe they are familiar with the song (or their sign-maker was!).  ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #442 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:13 am »
and today I was dealing with a client who was delaing with a police detective called Mr Brockie. I kept not seeing the C!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #443 on: June 20, 2007, 07:25:31 pm »
Kelda- that's a good one. ;D

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #444 on: June 21, 2007, 04:12:40 am »
I just *love* this thread  :D.  It's so amazing that this long after the movie we these allusions crop up in our day-to-day lives regularly.

My feelings too, Lynne........and also the fact that we can write it down and send it in here, and know that everyone understands...............

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #445 on: June 21, 2007, 11:59:51 am »
Not especially unique compared to most of the other things in this thread, - but "Sure enough" (in English) has become quite the standard expression of mine. I note that I'm using it to confirm things, agree with someone or say yes. When I'm talking to people in my own language, mind you.  :) English expressions are not uncommonly used now and then in spoken language here, I should probably add, so I don't think anyone's been reacting to it or thinking it out of the ordinary.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #446 on: June 21, 2007, 12:08:24 pm »
It's so amazing that this long after the movie we these allusions crop up in our day-to-day lives regularly.
LOL, It hasn't been that long for me. I'm only two months in.
Some of these expressions I have used anyway. I guess the rural south and the rural west have some similarities.
I used the ole "chewing gum and balin wire" a lot this past weekend at my Dads farm. Every piece of equipment he has is held together that way. I was woking on the Bobcat and he has an old Mercedees diesel powering it. The switch to turn it on fell off in my hand! LOL I had to re-secure it with electrical tape.  I told my Step Mom that" it sure would be nice if everything around here wasn't held together with chewing gum and balin wire."
I thought she would bust a gut laughing! SHe's never seen the movie either.

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #447 on: June 22, 2007, 03:27:30 pm »

Lynne: here's one especially for you:
My daughter has a t-shirt with the writing LynnLake on it  :D. Of course it reminds me of you.

And a few days ago, we had a lively conversation during family dinner when said daughter asked me: "Who is the meanest person in the world you ever knew?"

John Twist was the first who automatically popped into my mind (note: we spoke of mean persons, not of murderous bastards).

Talk about being obsessed... ::)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #448 on: June 22, 2007, 04:59:46 pm »
I was visiting my elderly relatives today for dinner, and one of them had a little catnap in the sofa after dinner, while sitting up. I asked if he'd not rather lie down for a spell, and he joked that he was napping the way horses do. So of course I just *had* to say it:" You're sleeping on your feet like a horse".   And he agreed to that, smiling.  :) (Though I know he didn't get the reference because he hasn't seen the film.)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #449 on: June 23, 2007, 04:49:05 pm »
I was visiting my elderly relatives today for dinner, and one of them had a little catnap in the sofa after dinner, while sitting up. I asked if he'd not rather lie down for a spell, and he joked that he was napping the way horses do. So of course I just *had* to say it:" You're sleeping on your feet like a horse".   And he agreed to that, smiling.  :) (Though I know he didn't get the reference because he hasn't seen the film.)

Reading this, was thinking of the two different visions of this going thru ur minds......

Relative......Horse standing, head down, eyes closed

Yours........Ennis standing behind Jack in a beautiful embrace