Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016687 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:36:06 am »
I'd like to hear about someone using:

"rodeoin' ain't what it was in my daddy's day"

convincingly in conversation with an unBroken.  anyone up for it?

LOL. Good challenge, Wolf! Extra credit if, in response, the other person just shakes their head "no" and takes a drag off their cigarette.

And David, I used to say "Excuse me?" or "Pardon me?" when I didn't catch what somebody said. Now I just say, "Hunh?" It may not sound as polite, but I enjoy it much more!

gattaca

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 08:40:22 am »
I'll start. My husband and I have different inner thermostats, so we're always fighting over the temperature in our house. Yesterday evening, when he cranked the AC just about high enough to frost the windows, I fled to the 87-degree comfort of the back porch. He came outside briefly and admitted that it was, in fact, pretty nice out. So I said:

Oh! We'd make great roommates! I keep the a/c in the house at about 84 during the day (it's 107-110 in Tucson in June/July) but I can't handle the indoor temps being that chilly either. It's not healthy.
But at night, the air outside here in Tucson is just glorious!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 09:10:53 am »
This isn't very interesting... but "tell you what..." is now a regular part of my speech pattern.
 :-\

Mine, too, and that's about it. But I never used that phrase BBBM (before Brokeback Mountain).

Hmmm. Now, there's a thought: A new way to reckon time: BBBM (as above) and ABBM (after. ...).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 09:30:16 am »
Another thing I say all the time is "No instruction manual needed." If I ever run into someone else who's read the story, I will know it right away when I say that!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 09:37:33 am »
If I ever run into someone else who's read the story, I will know it right away when I say that!!

I always fantasize that I'll use one of those distinctive phrases while, I don't know, standing in a supermarket line or sumpn -- when I'm in town, and then when I go out on the pavement -- and some stranger's ears will perk up and our eyes will lock and we'll know. And maybe it will turn out to be someone from here!

You "tell you what" folks may have to step it up a notch if you want to have this kind of experience. Now if you'd start sprinkling "dumbass mules" throughout your conversation ...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 10:42:32 am »
You "tell you what" folks may have to step it up a notch if you want to have this kind of experience. Now if you'd start sprinkling "dumbass mules" throughout your conversation ...

I do, actually.  And no bites yet.  ;)

I also find myself saying "Shiii-it" like the drunken Ennis and "Hell, ..." like Ennis before the infamous "that's the most I've spoke in a year" quite regularly.  Yes, I swear like a sailor - always have.  I try to keep it down to a dull roar in department meetings and what-not, but with friends, I let it all hang out.  It's also quite easy to work in "Truth is..." and so I do often.  I even got a "before I knock his ignorant ass into next week" in recently.

Sigh.  Still finding that some things I do just for me.  And no one ever asks about the cowboy hat charms I always wear (thank you, Jenny!  :)).  I notice people looking at them from time to time, but then they just give me a quizical (sp?) look not unlike the way Ennis looks at Jack riding away after he says, "Best git unless you wanna sit around tyin' knots all day."  But maybe someday...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:44:45 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 07:27:23 pm »
I always fantasize that I'll use one of those distinctive phrases while, I don't know, standing in a supermarket line or sumpn -- when I'm in town, and then when I go out on the pavement -- and some stranger's ears will perk up and our eyes will lock and we'll know. And maybe it will turn out to be someone from here!

LOL!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, this isn't a Brokie-ism, but it is a BetterMost-ism.  I found myself saying "Well this is off-topic,...." to my boss today.  It actually sounded fine in the context of the conversation, but swear to god, I never figured I'd find message-board lingo slip into my everyday speech.  By the way, I find that I do say "swear to god" (a la Jack in the motel) a lot these days.  I think it's hard to think of examples of Brokie-isms in my everyday life because they just seem normal now.
 ::)

Lee, I like your suggestion for secret test phrases for guaging a passerby's level of BBM proficiency.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 09:04:10 pm »
"Swear to god," "Tell you what" and "Hunh" are good phrases that don't make you feel too, you know, out there. Also, I've proudly reclaimed my use of "sumpn." I used to say that all the time, then I tried to smarten up and improve my pronunciation. No longer! Being a Brokie means never having to feel bad about bad grammar!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:40:04 pm by latjoreme »

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 09:35:22 pm »
I've been finding it to be greatly amusing to insert the f*ing adjective in between people's first and last names. It always gets a double reaction because for one, no one I know has seen the movie. And two, I hardly ever curse at all.

Also been saying, "You bet." and "What're ya wating for cowboy, a matin' call?"
Calling people "Friend" a la Jack
And singing Water Walking Jesus at the top of my lungs  ;)
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 09:46:59 pm »
Welcome, Oldesoul. Yes, I've been calling people "friend" too more often, but it often doesn't seem to get thru, even with my Brokie compatriots. I'll keep saying Friend tho like Jack did and hope that eventually I will prevail.
"chewing gum and duct tape"