Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016835 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:31 pm »
I find Alma Jr.'s less-than-enthusiastic "good enough" works well for me.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 10:46:13 pm »
"What're ya wating for cowboy, a matin' call?"

Good one, OldeSoul! I'd like to hear more about how you slip this into ordinary conversation. I think you should get some bonus points for that. [First name] f'in [last name] is great, too. I haven't been able to bring myself to use that one yet, but the great thing about it is you can use it in any mood: joyful welcoming, frustration, or seething anger.

Welcome to BetterMost and the Open Forum, Olde-F'in-Soul! (That was the first kind.)

I've been calling people "friend" too more often, but it often doesn't seem to get thru, even with my Brokie compatriots.

Tell you what, Friend, it sure gets through with me!

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 11:19:57 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost and the Open Forum, Olde-F'in-Soul! (That was the first kind.)
haha!  :laugh: Well, thank-ya much, lat F'in joreme!

I'd like to hear more about how you slip this into ordinary conversation
I was actually waiting for a friend of mine to get in the car, and I was just planning on saying, "What are you waiting for?" But of course the last part naturally followed (much to his confused amusement)

Oh, and I find calling people simply "Friend" very endearing, if they understand the original context or not.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 11:32:53 pm »
Yeehaw!!!!

This is my 500th post!  Note that this is not off topic because I used one of my favorite Brokie-isms.  Now I only need to post 500 more times to make it into the fancy 1000+ club.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 11:34:59 pm »
Friend, if they measured in words rather than individual posts, you'd be there already.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:17 pm »
Friend, if they measured in words rather than individual posts, you'd be there already.  :)

LOL!   :laugh:

Well, Friend, thanks for taking note of all the words I've spoke in the past 3 months.  Are you trying to tell me that I talk a blue streak?
 ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 11:55:35 pm »
 :laugh:  You're a lively little gal!  ;)

Actually, you have contributed many observant, insightful, witty and lengthy posts. You make the world a better and safer place for all of us long-posters (and appreciative readers!).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 02:07:21 am »
Yeehaw!!!!

This is my 500th post!  Note that this is not off topic because I used one of my favorite Brokie-isms.  Now I only need to post 500 more times to make it into the fancy 1000+ club.

That certainly IS worth a good YEEHAW!! If I ever get there, I'll figure out a way to put it in neon lights!!

Congratulations!!! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 04:38:10 am »
Let's see if I can get some extra points here  :).

Sometimes I use "You bet", which is not very exciting, but I use it in English when talking to other Germans (puzzled looks guaranteed).

I love, love, love to use "Tent don't look right", no matter what kind of thing doesn't look right (but only to my husband who knows).

I attend an English conversation circle, meeting other people who can speak English to get more practise. And there I sometimes use Brokie-isms. For example I called one of my daughters a "lively little gal" (what she is indeed) and once used the "dumbass mules".

I use "Tell you what", translated to German, more often than I did to before BBM.

But I can't count the times adequate Brokie-isms pops up my mind during everyday conversations and I don't say them.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 08:32:33 am »
You do get extra points, Penth! Here they are:

:) :D :D :) :D :D :)

Brokie-isms pop into my mind throughout the day, too, without me saying them. I have little shadow conversations going on in my head whenever somebody says anything familiar -- even routine phrases like "Me neither" or "Son of a bitch" or "How do you figure that?"