Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016709 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2006, 12:52:44 am »
I finally have one I haven't seen yet...I use most of the common ones that have been mentioned, like 'Friend' and 'Tell you what' and 'The truth is...' and 'Not often' and 'Me neither' and 'You bet'.

But at lunch Friday, my boss and a co-worker got on the subject of their teenage daughters and how kids don't tell parents everything...I got to pipe in with 'All them things you don't know...'  I stopped there, of course, and just kinda shook my head and grinned.

;)

Another thing is that I was once given grief about how I drop the 'g' from words endin' in '-ing', which I always attributed to the southern accent.  I'm not lettin' that one bother me anymore.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2006, 02:14:49 am »
Another thing is that I was once given grief about how I drop the 'g' from words endin' in '-ing', which I always attributed to the southern accent.  I'm not lettin' that one bother me anymore.

Good one, Lynne. One thing I love about Brokeback is that it gives us permission to fire our inner English teacher. Did your lunch companions think it weird when you said "them things"?

I always want to say "in them days," and I have sneaked it in a few times, but it's hard for me to be subtle about that sort of thing because it's pretty out of character.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 03:08:50 am »
Tell you what, I'm pretty much droppin' endin's all the time when I write these days.  For a while I did it a la Annie Proulx, sans apostrophe, but got corrected too often, so I've been puttin' apostrophes in.

I wrote on another thread the other day about how in ten minutes time, 4 differnt signs I passed reminded me of BBM or one of you all.  So the last couple of days, when drivin', I've been challengin' myself with any sign I look at to find a connection.  And it's usually not hard a do.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2006, 03:55:58 am »
Tell you what, I'm pretty much droppin' endin's all the time when I write these days.  For a while I did it a la Annie Proulx, sans apostrophe, but got corrected too often, so I've been puttin' apostrophes in.

I've been writin sans apostrophe, myself. The one Annie-esque thing I can't bring myself to do is write "a" for "have" or "of." As in, "I shouldn't a let you out a my sights."

I wrote on another thread the other day about how in ten minutes time, 4 differnt signs I passed reminded me of BBM or one of you all.  So the last couple of days, when drivin', I've been challengin' myself with any sign I look at to find a connection.  And it's usually not hard a do.

Good idea! I live near a Monroe Street, so that's a start. But I'll keep goin.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2006, 12:38:53 pm »
Good one, Lynne. One thing I love about Brokeback is that it gives us permission to fire our inner English teacher. Did your lunch companions think it weird when you said "them things"?

As a rule, they would have thought it weird because it would be outta character for me, but I think they attributed it to local color/emphasis.  It's Alabama, after all.

Just as a test, it did pain me to type 'outta,' so I guess inner English teacher is not totally standing aside. :)

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2006, 01:56:41 pm »
Another one: I love using spellings that have evolved on this board that differ from how I would spell the words otherwise.

For example, in every other context I would spell it, "Huh?" but here I like throwing in that N! (Which actually seems like a more accurate spelling of the way Ennis pronounces it.)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2006, 02:29:56 pm »
Not sure if writing is real life or not--but it isn't fanfiction. I stole "let be," "Sure enough" and "I did my best by" (slight cfhnage of person and number).  I find myself saying "for what it's worth" all the time.

I try to avoid Brokieisms in my tiours, because I lose my train of thought when I do.

I spent 5-6 hiours with another brokie last night, and even though we spent at least 3 hours compring DVDs, we used surprisingly few brokieisms with eachother.  We tended to talk ABOUT the movie and the shiort stiory in very precise English...y'know, scholarly shit.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2006, 04:50:40 pm »

I have a very strong northern Indiana accent. Over the years I have diligently worked on speaking properly. Now, all of a sudden, I am hearing myself with a slight twang. I am saying stuff like "friggin'" and "nothin'". I also have to really watch that I don't swear at work because I work for a Christian organization. Let's just say I can't yell to someone,"Hey! Jane f--kin' Doe". I think they would trip over their jaws from falling on the floor. And for a person who generally hates to swear, I have gotten really loose with my tongue! I need to "tape my mouth shut"! :-X
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2006, 12:02:00 am »
Just got back from my first night in a tent since BBM came out. *Coulda had the entire conversation in BBM-speak:

"Beans is 'bout all we got left."
"No more beans."
"You got whiskey or sumthin?"
"Freeze your ass off when the fire dies down. Better off sleepin in the tent."
"You're commutin four hours a day? Sheeeeit. That's hard."

And in response to the thousand-dollar water filter that wouldn't pump any water:

"This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation."

But I am shy, so "no more beans" was as close as I got. Woulda been fun to riff a bit, though.

* I still use the improper spellings that I've always used. It's interesting, because now that I've read the way Annie writes out the accent, I've realized that, yes, people in the mountain west really do separate the "a" (for "to") from the preceding word. So I used to say "gonna," and that's still what I write, but I find that I'm lengthening the sounds to something like "goin a" when I speak. Still looks weird to write it, though, so I don't.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2006, 03:32:35 am »
So I used to say "gonna," and that's still what I write, but I find that I'm lengthening the sounds to something like "goin a" when I speak. Still looks weird to write it, though, so I don't.

Interesting! I'd always thought Annie's spelling looks/sounds a bit odd, but maybe because I'm not used to that particular accent. Makes sense.