Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016928 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2006, 10:36:47 pm »
I was trail-running on Friday, and got out of the way of a small herd of mountain bikers. We exchanged a few pleasantries, and then I said, "nice morning for a ride."

The rider replied: "You bet."

I tried to think of the appropriate response, but the only one that came to mind was to slam her against the wall and kiss her until she saw stars. But 1) there weren't any walls around, 2) I wasn't actually looking for someone to slam against the wall (I'm happily monogamous, after all), and 3) I don't generally kiss complete strangers. So I let the moment pass.

("Son-of-a-bitch" didn't seem like quite the appropriate response, either.)

I was even too tired to red-line it all the way back to a computer to post about it.

Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2006, 10:39:53 pm »
It was nice to think of it tho! Think back to that time when You bet meant nothing special. Isn't it great to be here now!!?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2006, 10:43:42 pm »
I've started wondering if "you bet" is a regionalism that I had never noticed -- I normally say "Yup" (or "ayup") instead. I hear "you bet" all the time now, though.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2006, 10:57:33 pm »
I've started wondering if "you bet" is a regionalism that I had never noticed -- I normally say "Yup" (or "ayup") instead. I hear "you bet" all the time now, though.

Is it regional or is it just more obvious since we've noticed it in BBM? I am guessing it is the latter. I've said "you bet" for years as well as "ya betcha" and "sure" et.al.

Just a thought!  ;)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

mvansand76

« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2006, 07:10:40 am »
Hi all, I really try to use Brokeisms in my language, which is def. harder because I live in Holland. But... I am a translator for a market research agency and if I get the chance to use a Brokeism, then I will!

So if my company does market research for a bean company, I will definitely slip in a few of the jokes from BBM. Hasn't happened yet, though, unfortunately!  >:(

I use Brokeisms when I visit my sister who lives in England. But you know what the funny thing is, I often use them without even TRYING. I have watched the movie so many times that the dialogue is almost in my blood!

But what about Jack and Ennis' GESTURES and FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Do any of you catch yourself making the same facial expressions or gestures that Jack and Ennis make?

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2006, 12:31:14 am »
But what about Jack and Ennis' GESTURES and FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Do any of you catch yourself making the same facial expressions or gestures that Jack and Ennis make?

Constantly! Now that's something that no one would ever notice me doing, even if they'd seen the movie 100 times, because I'm sure I look nothing like them from the outside when I do it. But I feel like them from the inside. Here are some of my expressions:

-- The one Jack makes when he says "Course, he hates my guts." (I also say "course" rather than "of course" more often these days.)

-- The one Ennis makes after Jack says "Now let's git, unless you want to sit around tying knots all day." (I try to do the slightly crossed eyes.)

-- The one Ennis makes when he's packing up the horse after TS1 (not the baleful one he gives to Jack about supper, just the stoic one right before that).

-- The one Ennis makes after telling the story of Earl and Rich. Or maybe I don't actually do that one, but I think about it a lot.

-- When I'm lying in bed and want to turn and look out the window behind me, I flip my neck back in that graceful way Ennis does when he's lying in the tent carving the horse (I probably don't look quite as graceful, though).

I'll try to think of some others. Tell you what, mvansand76, I am constantly aware of this expression thing! Good topic.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2006, 02:24:09 am »

ah yes, we had a small thread back at imdb about this. My Jack face is the one he makes as he says "I might be back." My Ennis face is that look of apprehension and nervousness he has at the very beginning as he waits outside Aguirre's trailer.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2006, 05:45:31 am »
I have noticed that I am saying "the truth is" a lot anymore.  I picked it up from Jack Twist telling that to Ennis in the lake scene when he tells Ennis "truth is I miss you so much that i can't hardly stand it."  Another thing that I have noticed that I am saying without thinking is "about (whatever) I mean."  I took that from Lureen telling Ennis to see Jack's parents about his wishes being carried out "about the ashes I mean."  I know at check out lines in the supermarkets and Wal Mart that they think I am adding a lot of unnecessary information but since watching Brokeback Mountain that is becoming a habit with me.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2006, 09:52:22 am »
Okay guys ... I have a new one. I never thought I'd use it, but I did.

I was trying to get a friend to go on break with me. He was too busy and said he couldn't go. And, yes I said it ...

"You used to come away easy, now it's like seein' the pope."

At least this friend has seen BBM, so he knew I wasn't completely off of my rocker.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2006, 05:10:42 pm »
You get a group of people, brokies, together like I experenced recently and you'll find any and every question can be answered by a brokieism. "it could be like that always" if we put some effort into it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."