Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 46753 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »
David, your photos of Indiana remind me of a song we were taught at school:

"Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam
And the deer
And the antelop play.
Where never is heard
A disparaging word
And the sky is all cloudless
All day.
Home, home on the range, etc."

:D  Am I close? It's been a long time since I sang it!  ;)  :D

Your photos remind me of the scenery that I've seen in so many Western movies, such as "Dances with Wolves"   (not the pic of the highway though!)  ;) :D

I think you live in a very beautiful part of America, David.  :D

<David happily wihistles "Home on the Range">

I guess it really is true then, isn't it Kerry? Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Because I think it looks awful!   :laugh:  :laugh:

But I must admit, I posted the most terrible pictures of Indiana I could find. Most of it isn't THAT bad. It's still pretty bad though, any way you slice or dice it.
  :P

Some people like the flatness here. We do have some wonderful underground caverns and caves around here. And just a few miles south of me it begins to get hilly and little towns are built in between all the hills (what Hoosiers call "Hollers".)

I don't know Kerry. I'm ready to get out of Indiana. I'll trade with ya!  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2007, 11:12:13 pm »
I don't know Kerry. I'm ready to get out of Indiana. I'll trade with ya!   ;)

:laugh: You make me laugh, David. The only travellin' I've ever done is around a coffee cup, looking for the handle (or something like that).  ::)

I'd have to get over my morbid fear of flying, before considering a move to Indiana!   ;)  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2007, 11:19:09 pm »
:laugh: You make me laugh, David. The only travellin' I've ever done is around a coffee cup, looking for the handle (or something like that).  ::)

I'd have to get over my morbid fear of flying, before considering a move to Indiana!   ;)  :)

Umm. Yeah. It'd help. ;)

Because it sure would take a long time to swim here!  :laugh:

My Mom and Dad took a cruise back from New Zealand (They flew there first <wink to Kerry>) and it took them THREE MONTHS to get back to the US. Now, they DID stop at some islands along the way, but still, that is an AWFULLY long time to be on a boat! You better think about flying Kerry! You're a looooooooooooooong way from Indiana, buddy!  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52:14 pm »
You better think about flying Kerry! You're a looooooooooooooong way from Indiana, buddy!  :D

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to stay in touch with all my overseas chums via BetterMost. There ain't no way you'll ever get me inside one of those long, metal flying thingies in the sky! Noooooo waaaaaaay!   :o    :P    :(    ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2007, 12:11:29 am »
Hmm, I guess I'll just have to stay in touch with all my overseas chums via BetterMost. There ain't no way you'll ever get me inside one of those long, metal flying thingies in the sky! Noooooo waaaaaaay!   :o    :P    :(    ;)

I just thought about that trip I told you about. I think they were only on the boat for two months. The entire trip was three months. They spent one month in New Zealand.

But still, TWO months on a boat is a long time. They did stop off at a lot of islands,  so without all those stops it would have been less than two months. I remember they were VERY glad to get off the boat once they reached LA.  :laugh:

Dad said he was the most scared at night on the boat. He would look out at the dark ocean, and they would be the only ones out there. He said it was very spooky. They were on a large ship, but the ocean was a whole lot bigger!

I'd rather fly than take a boat. But I've heard the flights from here to Australia are very long; something like 20 hours. Some ungodly amount of time. How will we ever meet each other, Kerry? You live too far away!  >:(

:D  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2007, 12:52:06 am »
I'd rather fly than take a boat. But I've heard the flights from here to Australia are very long; something like 20 hours. Some ungodly amount of time. How will we ever meet each other, Kerry? You live too far away!  >:(
 :D  :D

In many ways, David, I feel like I've already met you. Certainly, I count you among my friends. I have "met" so many lovely people here at BetterMost and we share the most wonderful thing in common - our love of Jack & Ennis.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:13 am »
In many ways, David, I feel like I've already met you. Certainly, I count you among my friends. I have "met" so many lovely people here at BetterMost and we share the most wonderful thing in common - our love of Jack & Ennis.   :D

You're right Kerry! In many ways we have already met!!

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2007, 06:30:31 am »
In many ways, David, I feel like I've already met you. Certainly, I count you among my friends. I have "met" so many lovely people here at BetterMost and we share the most wonderful thing in common - our love of Jack & Ennis.   :D

You're right Kerry! In many ways we have already met!!

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*

You GUYS! You are making me cry at work!!!!   :'(  .....  :)

So have you never been outside of Australia, Kerry? Have you ever thought of doing one of those afraid of flying courses?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2007, 10:44:15 am »
So have you never been outside of Australia, Kerry? Have you ever thought of doing one of those afraid of flying courses?

I'm too afraid to do an afraid of flying course, Melissa!   ::)   ;)   :)

Seriously, I did some flying as a child and when I was younger. I find that the older I get, however, the worse this silly flying phobia becomes. Fortunately, I'm a real home-body, who loves being at home, and is not fond of travel. So it's not as though I feel I'm missing out on anything. I never did have the travel bug!  8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

moremojo

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2007, 03:33:02 pm »
Seriously, I did some flying as a child and when I was younger. I find that the older I get, however, the worse this silly flying phobia becomes. Fortunately, I'm a real home-body, who loves being at home, and is not fond of travel. So it's not as though I feel I'm missing out on anything. I never did have the travel bug!  8)
I can relate to so much of what you're describing, Kerry. I too have noticed that my phobias become more pronounced with age--for example, despite my fears, I made the drive to San Francisco from my home in 1990, yet felt so overwhelmed just last month with the prospect of forging ahead to Colorado that I felt the need to turn back.

I too don't feel a great impulse to travel. Paradoxically, I'm very interested in geography, history, and other cultures, but usually feel I get most of what I need to know in these areas from reading. I guess you could call me an armchair traveller.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:04:10 pm by moremojo »