Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 46132 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 10:46:45 pm »
'Cowpuncher' is a variant of 'cowboy', but is somewhat more rarely invoked when describing those men. I was surprised to see my ancestor described as such when I saw, for the first time in my life, a portrait of him at the San Antonio home of a great-uncle of mine, who I, my dad, and my sister visited this past June 8th. My great-uncle showed us a curious, faded photograph of our ancestor, shown astride a horse next to the grave of a friend of his. A caption at the bottom of the image read: "J.W. Gardner, cowpuncher".

Scott M.

Thanks for the info Scott. There is such a thing as "cow tipping" out here in Indiana. I have never seen anyone actually do it, but I always  heard of people going cow tipping on the weekends. Somebody once told me that nobody really cow tips; it is just a joke. Growing up in the city, I never knew anyone who did it. But it certainly isn't a very nice thing to do. :(

Anyhow, when you said a cowpuncher, I sort of pictured some one punching a cow and then tipping it! I knew this couldn't be correct though.  Isn't strange how the mind works? So now I know. It is a cowboy! Ennis and Jack were cowpunchers! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

gattaca

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 10:49:04 pm »
I found this on Wikipedia - it's hysterical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

Evidence against cow tipping

The concept of cow-tipping requires that the cow be unaware and asleep: not looking at you. Cows have good hearing and are easily awakened. The cow may not think a person is going to tip them over, but may still avoid a stranger nonetheless.
There is no evidence, aside from mostly unreliable eyewitness reports, that any cows have ever been tipped in the purported manner. In addition, there are a number of problems with typical accounts of cow tipping. Unlike horses, cows do not 'lock their legs' when they sleep. Cows lie down while sleeping [1] and most of their sleep is very light and easily disturbed — typical of herd prey animals; they take only short naps at regular intervals throughout a 24 hour period, which means that at any given time, some members of the herd are aware and alert. The vision field of a cow is larger than that of a human, and they have acute senses of hearing and smell. Thus, cows are not easy to sneak up on. If startled, they quickly communicate to the rest of the herd that something is amiss.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »
Gregg... Yes, that is pretty much what somebody told me. As a kid in Indiana, I always heard about it, but never actually saw it. It is a joke I guess. Or one of those urban legends.  I wonder why people always use to say they went cow tipping over the weekend? It makes me wonder what they were REALLY doing?! ;)

Thanks for sharing this with me/us!  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 03:51:21 pm »
Hi Barb! I love South Florida. I lived there for a couple of years. Have you ever heard of Plantation? It is on the west side of Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure you have heard of it. I still miss it sometimes. I may move back someday!

As a matter of fact, I know Plantation very well.  A great aunt and uncle lived there, and I was baptised in their (Plantation United Methodist) church there when I was 14, in 1979.  Spent two months in Miramar (Hollywood) with my grandparents over that summer, and did it towards the end of that stay.  I prefer Broward County to Palm Beach, where I live - much more soul in the former.  Everything here is a little too pretty and overly ornate - I keep expecting it to all fall over like a set backdrop.

Well, if you ever move back, look me up!  I'm sure I'll be here for a long, looooooong time.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 05:41:58 pm »
Hey David !,
                 Great poll , thanx for pm , as you know i am a Brummie Gal ! , translated , i`m from Birmingham , England , the second city , it`s a multi -cultural city that embraces everyone , not as fast moving as London , but due to great development , it finally has it`s place on the map. As you know i don`t mind that Jake fella ,i watched E-online the other day and he was voted 8th in the Sexist movie star poll {i`m afraid he did beat Heath ]. best of all Johnny Depp got no2 and Angelina Jolie bagged no 1 , which i can see she is a complete sex siren.
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 05:49:29 pm »
As a matter of fact, I know Plantation very well.  A great aunt and uncle lived there, and I was baptised in their (Plantation United Methodist) church there when I was 14, in 1979.  Spent two months in Miramar (Hollywood) with my grandparents over that summer, and did it towards the end of that stay.  I prefer Broward County to Palm Beach, where I live - much more soul in the former.  Everything here is a little too pretty and overly ornate - I keep expecting it to all fall over like a set backdrop.

Well, if you ever move back, look me up!  I'm sure I'll be here for a long, looooooong time.  :)

Yes, Plantation is a great town... at least it use to be! I do hope to move back someday. I love South Florida, but I particularly love Fort Myers, in Southwest Florida. So who knows? Either place would be perfectly fine with me. I have some good friends in both cities. Thanks for responding!! :)

Hey David !,
                 Great poll , thanx for pm , as you know i am a Brummie Gal ! , translated , i`m from Birmingham , England , the second city , it`s a multi -cultural city that embraces everyone , not as fast moving as London , but due to great development , it finally has it`s place on the map. As you know i don`t mind that Jake fella ,i watched E-online the other day and he was voted 8th in the Sexist movie star poll {i`m afraid he did beat Heath ]. best of all Johnny Depp got no2 and Angelina Jolie bagged no 1 , which i can see she is a complete sex siren.

Hiya Karan! I am so glad to see you are back with us again. I missed you ALOT on IMDb, but I have found things are calmer over here. The people are much nicer and there are no trolls! At least I haven't seen any yet! Thanks for responding Karan, and I really do look forward to reading all you have to say. You have always been so insightful. :)

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 08:30:18 pm »
Hi Alec! Yes, Washington D.C. is in the  South. Maryland and Virginia are southern states. Washington D.C. gets hot in the summer too! Just like Indiana does... a steambath. You sound happy to be going back to Buffalo, so I am certainly happy for you. Be sure to come back and post here after you get moved... okay? :D

At the rate I am going, I will be posting instead of packing.  Let's see, which is more interesting, wrestling dusty possessions into boxes and cursing under my breath, or being enlightened by basking in the glow of BetterMost and BBM?  Not a close call!   :)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 08:43:37 pm »
At the rate I am going, I will be posting instead of packing.  Let's see, which is more interesting, wrestling dusty possessions into boxes and cursing under my breath, or being enlightened by basking in the glow of BetterMost and BBM?  Not a close call!   :)

Alec, I know what you mean. I hate packing and moving. But it sure is nice to get to the new place and enjoy it after all the hard work is done.

I wish you luck! :)

vkm91941

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 11:29:50 pm »
As most folks around here know I live in Southern California, San Diego to be exact since 1969.  Prior to that, as a Navy Brat I lived all over..born in Virginia, lived in Maryland, Tenessee, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii.  ALso lived briefly in Germany, Spain, Hong Kong, Tokoyo and Okinawa.  Guess you could say I use to get around.  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 02:20:51 am »
As most folks around here know I live in Southern California, San Diego to be exact since 1969.  Prior to that, as a Navy Brat I lived all over..born in Virginia, lived in Maryland, Tenessee, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii.  ALso lived briefly in Germany, Spain, Hong Kong, Tokoyo and Okinawa.  Guess you could say I use to get around.  ;)

Hi Vicky! Yes, I remember a long time ago you told me you lived in San Diego. But I had NO idea you lived in all those other places. That must have been great! Especially Germany and Spain! You sure did get around! I have travelled a lot, but the only places I have lived is in Indiana (Indianapolis, Evansville, Noblesville and Vincennes) and in Plantation Florida for a couple years.

Thanks for posting this Vicky! :)