Author Topic: Would Brokeback Mountain movie been better or worst with no females, no wives ??  (Read 7197 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
               Would Brokeback Mountain movie been better or worst with no females, no wives ??                                   

I voted obviously yes ! ?

May I dare pose this question?

No to what?

There was a no, which someone removed! Wow! Why?

I thought that this subject would please many... Bettermost members!

Right?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:14:23 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

Yes, the movie would have been better without females in it!

What do you think?

Offline Artiste

With no females, Ennis would not have married his wife (Alma) !

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I voted no but I am having a hard time answering this question. It's as if you were asking, "Would life be better if there were no night or no day?" What you are asking is not a yes or no question. In addition, the terms "better" or "worse" are relative and will vary from respondent to respondent. Aside from that, I think the movie and story are better with females in them, because they are more real. Nobody has a life without females. I can guarantee you that everybody alive has had some kind of female involved with their life because that is the only way that people can come to life through being borne by a female.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Merci Front-Ranger !

I can accept your post, readily, as you say that everyone had a mother ! It also made me smile, pardon me for that... and since I guess I did because it made you think and be creative !!

However, didn't Annie's story accentuate the love between two males, and would that have not been better for the core of the movie: no (female) wives ? ? So, you puzzle me saying that females made the film better; how may I ask?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Katie77

The object of the story is to make it as close to reality as possible..........

And there are women in the real world, they are everywhere, or havent you noticed.......

Offline Artiste

Merci Katie,

and did you note that men are everywhere too ?

Would it not be different if that movie was showing only men?

Au revoir,
hugs!   I have met two persons who love to go to islamic countries, as they say it's because of men! But that is a different story!

Offline Katie77

Of course there are men........

And if there were only men in BBM....it would not be the story or the movie that we all love so much.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
You are right, friend Sue. ANd right as well to mention the story, because even though the women have less prominence in the story than in the movie, their short appearances are very powerful.

Offline Artiste

So women are needed you say Katie and Front-Ranger for Annie's story and the Brokeback Mountain movie ? !! OK!!

But consider if otherwise, please.

Remember movies with no women?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Katie77

Cant say I remember any movies without both female and male characters. (Not unless it was X rated)

And we are not talking about any other movie, we are talking about Brokeback Mountain, where both men and women played an integal part of the story line.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
There have been some I think...I recall the movie Three Kings about the Gulf War...I don't think there were any women in that one. In the movie Apocalypse Now there were only one or two scenes with women. There was probably a Western or two that had no women. And there have been many many movies where women were rather inconsequential to the story. Such as Butch and Sundance, where Katherine Ross served very little purpose.

Also there was a movie called If set in a boy's school in Britain and there may have been a female teacher or two but I don't recall any. The Dead Poet's Society...I don't remember any women in that one. October Sky, History Boys, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Maurice...gee there are more than I thought at first (yes, there's a female teacher in October Sky, but she is a minor player).

One thing that bothers me is when the only female in the story is the villain. And have you noticed how often it is a mother? That burns me up! In Shelter, there is an uncaring unnurturing mother or sister who leaves all the nurturing role to the lead character.

Offline Artiste

Merci Front-Ranger !

I can see your point when you say:
              One thing that bothers me is when the only female in the story is the villain. And have you noticed how often it is a mother? That burns me up! In Shelter, there is an uncaring unnurturing mother or sister who leaves all the nurturing role to the lead character.

Front-Ranger, and I accept that female not be such vilains!

Can you also think that movie with only males, such Brokeback Mountain, could maybe help to combat anti-gay ideas ?

Au revoir,
hugs! I do ask that question to you and to others, since I know that women like being together, and men like being together !! (At least, at times! And I am not talking about islamic or other males ONLY all the time times!!)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I do ask that question to you and to others, since I know that women like being together, and men like being together !! (At least, at times! And I am not talking about islamic or other males ONLY all the time times!!)

I don't think that's true friend Artiste. There are many who like a mixed company.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

Without the women, the story would not have shown the true nature of the hiding that gay men had to go to in order to have a safe life.  What
you are proposing with only men, is just a story about two guys who have a lot of sex and time together.  That is not what the story is about.
It would be a totally different story, about a totally different time, and era.  It was meant to show the pain they were forced into.  The pain it
caused to the wives and children and other members of their family.  It was affecting everyone they came into contact with.  The parents and all.

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

Merci ifyoucantfixit !

Your post says many things. I was firstly pleased as well as perplexed by your first sentence, then shocked by its second, and as I saw your detals in the rest, I must say: but it's that a female(s)/woman/women point of view ?

Ever thought of putting yourself in a males/men point of view ?  I do confirm that you tried in a way by stating that Ennis and Jack did hide via female/wives they had, but of course was that not only in the movie?

Didn't Annie show two men and that was not just sex, right ?

May I ask ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

The thing I was saying is that the story is about how society and the prejudices it produces, cause
pain to not only the gay men, but everyone they come into contact with.  That is what the story
tells.

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

Merci ifyoucantfixit !

You tell more and well, by your post !

But it is still a woman's point of view, and can you think how a gay man would feel and/or see it?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time

But it is still a woman's point of view, and can you think how a gay man would feel and/or see it?

Artiste, Here in my humble opnion, of a gay male, Brokeback is what it is and I don't question the
female parts or if it would be better without women. As the women here on Bettermost have stated,
it normal to have women around. Women, straight and lesbian, I have even seen in male gay bars.
Life is as it flows its natural courses.

Enjoy! Live to the fullest.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

Merci encore tampatalon !

Well said as in your post !

That being said, there remains the fact that many gay men are refusing to see the Brokeback Mountain movie, either a second time or the first time ! Why ??

To me, if the movie had no females, then maybe if would be acceptable to gays ?

Au revoir, hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Merci encore tampatalon !

Well said as in your post !

That being said, there remains the fact that many gay men are refusing to see the Brokeback Mountain movie, either a second time or the first time ! Why ??

To me, if the movie had no females, then maybe if would be acceptable to gays ?
Au revoir, hugs!

Artiste, As far as not seeing the movie a second time I can only speak for myself. I have
3 copies and only have picked through individual scenes when I feel like watching. Why, you
may ask? Brokeback opens the scars of my past and the pain in the heart overtakes me.
I like many, have lived and still live my very own private Brokeback; however, I cannot shake my private demons.

TampaTalon^">

"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

Merci tampatalon !

Thanks for your post. And like you say, we live our own Brokeback !

You have more copies of the Brokeback Mountain movie than I do !

Congratulations!

I have two. And long to see it again, as soon as I have time.

I noted often that gay men that I have seen this year and in the past years refuse to see this movie again, as they have a sour taste about it; that is my word not theirs. And those that I try to get them interested in it, are refusing too ! I still wonder why?

And maybe iif no women was in that movie, maybe more gays would watch it ?

What do you think ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Would Brokeback Mountain movie been better or worst with no females, no wives ??

It would not be Brokeback Mountain.  It would be another movie entirely.

If the Sound of Music didn't have children would it be better or worse?  I think it would be another film altogether.  :)

Offline Artiste

Merci Lucise !

That is one way to see it: two Brokeback Mountain movies needed; one beng for gay males !

Why would a non-female film one be different ? Didn't Annie's story, wasn't that different from the movie ?

Au revoir,
hugs!