Author Topic: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?  (Read 41100 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Sure enough, if you don't get stomped winnin' it," he looks at Jack closely for several moments, both concerned and amused, a quick smile and another peircing look, then turns to watch Jack put his boot next to the flame of the fire. 

Whenever I watch that scene, I can't get over Jack's boot so close to the fire, I get freaked it'd catch fire or something! ;)  Only after a few viewings could I really start focussing on J & E in that scene, not the dang boot!

Back to the OP, I think by the 'Water walking Jesus' scene, they were already walking down the path to LOVE!  I think Jack was in love by then, Ennis knew that there was something different and special about this new buddy of his...I think he must've entertained some 'sexy thoughts' of Jack as well because he gave in to him in the tent on that cold night.  He was freaked out, yes, but he knew he wanted it..and he went for it!

I was definitely certain they were in love when they were told to 'bring 'em down'.  It was as plain as the nose on Aguirre's face that they were in love  ;D ...so heart-breaking!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:57:04 pm by lucise »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Just to elaborate on my earlier post, I think Ennis was blown away by Jack from the very 1st moment he laid eyes on him. The clue is that when Jack started to walk towards him, he lowered his head and hid his eyes under his hat. Ennis was rather shy, very lonely, and full of fears and neuroses so it is hard to read him, but I think he was amazed by this self-assured, friendly young man who not only possessed a lighter but also a truck and a silver rodeo belt buckle. He was so flummoxed he had to be reminded to give his last name when they introduced each other.

Then, when Jack suggested they go to a bar, Ennis didn't even walk beside Jack, he walked behind. He was further impressed by Jack's rodeo experience and knowledge of the job from having worked on the mtn the previous summer. Jack got him to open up about himself which few people had done before and when he told Jack a few details, Jack was empathetic, which also opened Ennis' eyes. Another thing that the film doesn't show but you have to imagine is the electricity between them. This is conveyed not only by what they did--sneaking looks at each other, making a big show of tying knots and mastering horses--but also what they didn't do--hiding behind their hat brims, carefully not looking at or touching each other.

It never ceases to amaze me how just when I think I understand all there is to understand about this movie, someone in this group comes up with an insight like this.  WOW.  OF COURSE!  That's exactly how I am (and was moreso when I was young) with men I'm attracted to.  Even now, if I find a man particularly beautiful, I find it difficult to look him in the eyes for very long when I talk to him - like the pull I'm feeling will somehow be betrayed to him and I'll look like a fool.

And the big show of tying knots and mastering horses!  Right on again!  I never thought of it that way in all my viewings, but of course they're preening for each other, aren't they.  I can't wait to watch it again, now, with this new-found perspective.

And I'll say it yet again:  Ang Lee is a f***ing genius.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
We know from the story that the electricity existed between Jack and Ennis--it says so several times, particularly in the reunion scene. I think the reason for the intense looks from Ennis is to show that he is a good listener. Even though he is not saying anything, he is taking it all to heart. And Jack notices this and appreciates it. It reminds him of his mother's attention, as contrasted to his father, who demeaned all he said as "ideas that never came to pass."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
Front-Ranger -

I agree not only about the listening but about the asking. 

Jack showed Ennis he actually cared about him - how his life had been, how he felt about it.   Examples: "Your folks run you off?"; "Shit, that's hard" regarding the death of Ennis' parents; "Your brother & sister do right by you?" 

And when Ennis really opens up & Jack says "That's more words than you spoke in the last two weeks." & Ennis says, "That's more than I've spoke in a year." we see that his relationship with Jack, even at that point, is more emotionally intimate than it is to Alma, his fiance.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

TJ

I think that Ennis fell in "like" with Jack the first evening after he had switched places and he had spent the night and the next day up with the sheep.

That evening Jack became Ennis's first best friend. The job change and the fact that Ennis had killed a coyote with balls the size of apples at first light that morning made Ennis feel like he had done something important.

That helped his self-esteem and the fact that they respected each other's opinions helped, too.

And it was several weeks after that in the book when they had their first night in the tent. And since there had been deepened intimacy after Ennis got inside of Jack's bedroll before the sex acutally took place, I just think that was a real "in love" scene which consummated their relationship.

OT here -- well, sorta, a bear in the book did appear until 1983 and Jack was there, too.

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
I felt it was that scene where Ennis is talking away and Jack give him that little smile and says that's the most I heard you talk all month, and Ennis offers that's the most I've talked all year and he give Jack that shy little smile.  It opens his face like a flower opening to the sun.  I think that's the moment when they first fall in love.

I'd agree with that as well. Ennis was admitting to Jack how rare it was for him to open up to anyone, and he's giving Jack the privilege few, if any, ever got. It's a great moment.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline serious crayons

The first time I saw the movie, I realized it when Ennis asked for soup. By now, there's no sudden realization point for me. One reason is I already know it too well. The other is because I think it happens slowly and gradually from the time they are standing outside Aguirre's trailer.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 05:42:48 pm »
Six months later, and I still say it was love at first sight!! Now that's a hopeless romantic for U!!

Two to go...  ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2006, 06:20:28 pm »
In my opinion,  Jack first shows his feelings towards Ennis when he is bitching about how they both should be down in the camp at night together.

As for Ennis, that is harder to say.   Yes, he opens up to Jack by becoming talkative.  He also shows kindness by switching shifts with him, plus ordering the soup for Jack.   But I don't think he "shows" his feelings for Jack until tent scene number TWO.   

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 12:58:53 am »
What a beautiful thread...I have not seen this one before, but it is so nice to be reading and remembering those beautiful scenes as our two boys fell in love.

I believe that the first tent scene, was the moment that these two guys, realized that they just didnt like each other as "buddies", they realized then, that it was something more, and also something they wanted to continue with.

Well maybe not, doing the act in the first tent scene, but the following morning, I think they probably did a lot of soul searching, and by the time they got back together that night, they could admit their feelings to one another.

What a wonderful, but also confusing, love they created....a lot of dudes in those times might have shrugged it off as a drunken "one off", but thank god, these two were honest enough to sit down and talk about it, and take it to other places.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection