Author Topic: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?  (Read 40989 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2006, 04:06:08 pm »
Sue, what makes you feel that Ennis is not gay? If he's attracted to a man, and enjoys sex with a man, and is in love with a man, doesn't that make him gay (or at least bi) pretty much by definition?

I think of Ennis as gay, and not even very bi, because he doesn't seem particularly attracted to Alma or Cassie. I do think it's possible he wasn't attracted to other men besides Jack. (Though I suspect he has been in the past.)

The subject of whether we think Ennis was gay, has been discussed on another thread in great length......so I dont want to change the course of this thread by too much discussion on this subject here.....

Got to thinking about Ennis and the love he felt for Jack....I have always been of the opinion, that Ennis was not gay, and the more I thought of it today, just confirmed it even more....He fell in love with Jack, regardless, and in spite of the fact that he was of the same sex.....he was the one and only true love that Ennis could fit in his heart, as he found out thru his life.  Maybe it was because, Jack was the only one ever in his life to return the same kind of love, that Ennis craved for.......

What I meant by those thoughts were, that he fell in love with Jack, regardless of the fact that he was of the same sex, not because he was attracted to someone of the same sex.

Is there a degree of gayness?......Jack was obviously more gay than Ennis was, as we see when he goes to Mexico, to get a man.....Ennis found "something" with Cassie, even though it didnt last...and he must have had "something" with Alma before he met Jack, to consider marrying her....

I do not think Ennis was gay.....he just fell in love with Jack..............
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2006, 06:50:24 pm »
I agree with you, Scott -- I think he's an extremely repressed gay man. It's possible he is attracted to other men from time to time but has taught himself to hide it very carefully, even from himself -- the way he hides his feelings about Jack, at first.

I think the power of the Earl incident on shaping Ennis' outlook and character depends partly on Ennis understanding that he and Earl had something in common, and that he'd better be careful never to reveal that something or risk the same fate.

As for Alma and Cassie, I think Ennis married Alma because he knew it was expected of him. The concept of not marrying a woman because he's attracted to men instead wouldn't have crossed his mind. As for Cassie, she pursued him pretty aggressively, and provided a convenient way to keep the "people on the pavement" from being suspicious. It seems from the way he describes her to Jack that he doesn't find her all that exciting.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2007, 11:36:09 pm »
I'm posting just because I want to look at this lovely thread again.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 11:44:35 pm »

Geez!  I can't believe I never posted in this old thread before!  Thanks for bumping it Sister-Mod. :)

Well, I think there are lots of moments early in the film where it seems pretty clear that one of cowboys was attracted to the other (Ennis attracted to Jack and Jack attracted to Ennis).  But, this may seem to easy... the scene where it's entirely clear that it's probably *really* love and *really* mutual is TS2.

I think a strong argument can be made for the earlier scene where Jack makes Ennis laugh and smile for the first time (the "most I've spoke in a year" scene).  They eye contact there and the quiet moments of connection that seem to happen strongly suggest that they may have mutually fallen in love.

But, the clearest moment to me still is TS2.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2007, 12:45:16 am »
I think that they realized it might be more than a "one-shot thing" when they started bonding so closely after the big hail storm. My favorite scene when they were together on the mountain was the picture of them riding off together at  sunset with the reconstituted herd while Jack is playing the harmonica, Ennis then kids him about how sorry his music sounds! yep when you can kid each other, its a bonding. 

Offline Nikita111

• Sr. Ranch Hand

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2007, 11:02:04 am »
If we talk about the movie, it depends also as in the book, what do you consider as love??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007, 01:17:35 pm »
good point Artiste, you tell us what you mean and we'll hash it out.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2007, 01:42:32 pm »
Wow, Nikita, that's a fabulous picture of young Heath in your sig.  How about getting thee over to the "Heath Heath Heath" thread and sharing it?  Here's the link:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1179.0.html .

By the way, welcome to BetterMost!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2007, 06:12:14 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, and  thanks all !!

Brokeplex, you make my day since you made me laugh somehow with your question, even if I am exhausted! Thank goodness, you did that! You say about my question concerning love about how it can be considered:good point Artiste, you tell us what you mean and we'll hash it out.

May I in return pose you that question of yours, yes to you, and to all here?? !!

P.S., To me, in the movie, both Jack and Ennis feel for each other right away when they both arrive at the trailer for their job that Aquirre will give then. But is it both, one or the two? Is is love or infatuation? Or curiosity? Or what?

Hugs! Hugs!