Author Topic: Acting and incest  (Read 14163 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Acting and incest
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 11:35:33 pm »
Can't agree.  The fact that four-five-six year olds have no problems whatsoever playing house/doctor with their siblings lead me to believe that left up to nature, and not society, the same prejudices that children learn (homophobia/racial/and taboos including incest) would fall by the wayside. (snip) Wonder why?  Maybe because they got punished when they were found/caught doing it and told it was wrong over and over?

Looks like we will never agree on this one, Del. I think many kids don't play doctor with their siblings at all, and those who do stop by the time they get to kindergarten. Is that because all of their parents gave them "no more incest" lectures? Then how come so many MORE kids disregard their parents' "no more [insert any number of other behaviors] lectures? Sure, many children grow up to be racists and homophobes, but many children don't , even if their parents were. Far more than grow up to be incestuous. I have already mentioned my extreme lack of interest, to say the least, in having sex with my brother. Yet I don't remember my parents ever specifically telling me not to.

But I can already hear the counterarguments you might make -- all kids get the lecture but don't remember it, or they pick up nonverbal clues, or whatever. So it just comes down to this: the idea that aversion to incest is something that's environmental rather than inherent just doesn't ring true to me. Apparently it does to you. So there we are.

But back to the hypothetical movie. What are we even talking about here? A movie that's controversial and interesting of the subject matter, or a movie that's controversial and interesting because of stunt casting? To me, there are all kinds of good reasons to film controversial subject matter: gay romance, pregnant nuns, male rape victims, any number of documentaries. For that matter, I can easily, easily imagine a fascinating movie -- fictional or documentary -- about incestuous siblings!

But it sounds like you're talking about a movie that's extraordinary mainly because a brother and sister, who as far as we know are NOT incestuous, are cast as lovers. In other words, a publicity stunt. That's what would put pull people into the theater -- not the content of the movie per se.

Or is it? Meanwhile, you're also talking about a movie that's SOOOO GOOD that, out of all the projects they could possibly be working on, Jake and Maggie choose to be in it, and the filmmakers would cast them, out of all the actors that could potentially fill the roles and  despite the possibility of turning off audiences because ... why? If the movie's that good, why does it need stunt casting to get publicity?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 11:59:53 pm »
Looks like we will never agree on this one, Del.

But I can already hear the counterarguments you might make -- all kids get the lecture but don't remember it, or they pick up nonverbal clues, or whatever. So it just comes down to this: the idea that aversion to incest is something that's environmental rather than inherent just doesn't ring true to me. Apparently it does to you. So there we are.

Life is indeed very complicated.

But back to the hypothetical movie. What are we even talking about here? A movie that's controversial and interesting of the subject matter, or a movie that's controversial and interesting because of stunt casting? To me, there are all kinds of good reasons to film controversial subject matter: gay romance, pregnant nuns, male rape victims, any number of documentaries. For that matter, I can easily, easily imagine a fascinating movie -- fictional or documentary -- about incestuous siblings!

But it sounds like you're talking about a movie that's extraordinary mainly because a brother and sister, who as far as we know are NOT incestuous, are cast as lovers. In other words, a publicity stunt. That's what would put pull people into the theater -- not the content of the movie per se.

Well, I didn't say what kind of movie it'd be.  I imagine it would be a project that would interest Maggie and Jake enough to take the roles.

'Stunt casting' can be applied to many things.  BBM for example.  Two straight just-out-of-the-teenybopper movie age heartthrob actors to play gay cowboys?  There weren't any gay unknown actors?  My particular, a beautiful model/actress Charlize Theron to play a homely lesbian serial killer?  There weren't enough homely actresses to play the role?  Was Kathy Bates busy?  Hero/good guy Tom Cruise to play a hit man?  A black actor to play half-brother to a white actor in a Shakespeare movie?  Stunt casting or color-blind casting?  You can go on and on with what people would consider 'stunt casting'.

It can be considered 'stunt' casting, or it can be considered daring casting, challenging, something to break the mold of the mundane and run of the mill.  Most actors welcome a chance to stretch their acting talents. 

I think we can all agree that BBM is a beautiful work of art, yet, as you so rightly pointed out, it STILL took 8 years to get made.  Casting was problematic, some however were interested.  Sometimes the role/story IS incredible enough that actors will work hard for it.  And perhaps Jake and Maggie would be looking fo something challenging, something off the wall, something unexpected where they could work together.  And sometimes the actors don't care - they want to work with a director so bad, they don't care what the project is, if offered a role, they'd take it.

It's possible.  [shrug]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:06:29 am by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 12:07:00 am »
It's possible.  [shrug]

I guess anything is ...

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 03:53:49 am »

I don't know....   for some reason this picture reminded me of THIS discussion.   ;D    ??

My $.02 on the subject---  there IS a certain amount of 'squick' factor in this hypothetical casting...  but you can bet I would be there to see the movie.  Open-minded, I am.   ;)
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 05:18:37 pm »
My opinion:

If a person were making a movie about an incentuous relationshp between a brother and sister, it would be entirely inappropriate to cast a real brother and sister in the roles.

If a person were making a movie about lovers (as Del posits) I still think it would be inappropriate to cast a real brother and sister.

No matter how much a movie sucks you in, at the end of the day, I would still see a brother and sister up on the screen and find the whole scenario very discomfiting.

I also think that it would be inappropriate to ask any actor/actress to do this. Yes, they are pros and become absorbed in their roles, but they are also real people with real lives who have grown up together. Asking them to play lovers just goes beyond the bounds of what people should be asked to do as part of their work. After all, that's what this is: acting is a job.

There are plenty of talented people out there. I don't think we need to resort having siblings play lovers.

L
                                  this whole line of thought just gives me the creeps,,,disgusting and gross,,i really think they are better people than to allow thenselves and the audience to be compromised like that..                                                                                                       janice

Beautiful mind