Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41338 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:53:48 pm »
Ok I merged all my threads asking about movies into one....so I'm just gonna change the subject everytime I have a question and bump it to the top...
Any good?   Been a few years...and all I seem to remember is a particular Halle Berry and well....you know... :)

Any comments would be appreciated...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:50:57 am by The CHRIS »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OT: Monster's Ball?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:00:53 pm »
Any good?   Been a few years...and all I seem to remember is a particular Halle Berry and well....you know... :)

Any comments would be appreciated...

I rented it a month or two ago. I had never seen it before but wanted to because this is the movie that caught McMurtry's eye for Heath to play Ennis.

Heath is only in it for about 20 minutes and his 20 minutes are very good although his exit is abrupt and shocking (I don't want to give anything away here for people who might not have seen it). I wasn't prepared for this and it was upsetting. The rest of the movie I didn't care for, myself, but there are plenty of critics who don't agree with me.

At the same time I rented this, I rented Monster (big surprise, they were right next to each other on the shelf). Another disturbing movie but I thought it was excellent. If someone handed me both DVDs and said pick one or the other, I'd choose Monster, but neither of them are walks in the garden...if ya know what I mean.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »
Heath is only in it for about 20 minutes and his 20 minutes are very good although his exit is abrupt and shocking (I don't want to give anything away here for people who might not have seen it). I wasn't prepared for this and it was upsetting. The rest of the movie I didn't care for, myself, but there are plenty of critics who don't agree with me.

I hadn't been expecting it either; it was very shocking and I burst into tears.  Honestly.  A very heartbreaking moment...   :'(
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:12:25 pm »
Ok, now you guys are making me want to watch this movie again! Because I remember what happens, but I don't remember being all that moved by it... though I do remember being surprised by how good Heath was.  I had been a fan of his for a while, but it was always in that guilty oh man I like the guy from 10 Things I Hate About You kind of way.  I definitely see why they saw Ennis in this performance.  Maybe I'll have to rent it again...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 09:37:08 pm »
Cool!  Thanks everyone!!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 10:23:35 pm »
Ok, I just rented it... oh the power of suggestion... I also now really want a hot dog because I just watched a special on Oscar Mayer on the food network... see, this is what I do when I'm no longer in school  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 12:17:17 pm »
I was curious also, and rented Monster's Ball just to see Heath.

What's astonishing is the similarity to Ennis:  the accent is very similar, there is a parallel "vomiting" scene, and the father/son tension. There's even a line that's the same in BBM.

I would recommend watching the first part to see Heath's performance; I can understand why a director would peg him as a serious actor. It's a moving performance.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 01:41:22 pm »
 :) for the record, this was my first glimpse of Heath (never saw the Patriot, Lords of Dogtown, etc.) and I was very impressed.  Unfortunately the movie itself is so intense and grim that I have a really hard time watching it again.  But that said, Hallie definitely earned her Oscar and Heath was great in such a short role..................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:48:40 am »
I suppose I'll watch it someday then...thanks all!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:01:46 am »
I suppose I'll watch it someday then...thanks all!

Given what's going on in your life, Chris, I am not sure I'd recommend this at this time. Go find something light, like "A Knight's Tale."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:47:48 am »
Or Lords of Dogtown!

slayers_creek_oth

Chris' Movie Questions: The Color Purple
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 01:12:50 am »
Ok I merged all my threads asking about movies into one....so I'm just gonna change the subject everytime I have a question and bump it to the top...

I would post this on the Movie Recommendation thread but I don't know when it would be answered and its kinda urgent...

The movie Out of Africa....Meryl Streep.....Best Picture 1985....any good?

Thanks in advance..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 01:02:08 am by cHrIs_sLaYeRs »

vkm91941

Re: OT: Out of Africa!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 02:34:33 am »
I would post this on the Movie Recommendation thread but I don't know when it would be answered and its kinda urgent...

The movie Out of Africa....Meryl Streep.....Best Picture 1985....any good?

Thanks in advance..

OK no one's responded so I will...

Out Of Africa 1985

Meryl Streep, Robert Redford
Directed by Sidney Pollock

Excellent MOVIE..basically...Supposed true story Follows the life of Karen Blixen, (pen name'Isak' Dinesen)from 1913 to 1931  who establishes a coffee plantation in Africa. Her life is complicated by a husband of convenience (Bror Blixen), a true love (Denys Finch Hatten), troubles on the plantation, schooling of the natives, WW1, and catching VD from her husband.

Grand sweeping storyline, unforgettable characters, pitch perfect acting, wonderful cinematography and incredible score.  First 3 hour film I saw that I did not notice the passage of time.  It sucks you into the life of this amazing woman whose life is played out against such a larger than life background.  Redford is the perfect romantic hero as the Great White Hunter of a bygone era and Streep is mesmerizing as always.

My favorite line; delivered midway through the film after the Blixens have been seperated for several years, Karen has recovered from Sphyllis and returned to Africa after being sent home to Denmark 18 months before to recover and has begun her love affair with Denys...

Baron Bror Blixen: (Klaus Maria Brandauer) You could have asked, Denys.
Denys: (Robert Redford) I did. She said yes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:03:40 am by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:47:48 am »
Thanks Vic..

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 10:17:21 am »
LOL what are you doing watching Out of Africa Chris? Not that it isn't a good movie, because it is, just not the movie I expected you to ask us about  ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 10:34:40 am »
LOL what are you doing watching Out of Africa Chris? Not that it isn't a good movie, because it is, just not the movie I expected you to ask us about  ;D

It was to settle another bet at work....LOL

I guess someday we should actually work at work instead of making bets...LOL

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 10:47:34 am »
Klaus Maria Brandauer stole it, in my opinion.  Whenever he was on the screen, I was riveted.  I wish he'd played Denys instead of Robert Redford, who just left me cold - I thought he had ZERO chemistry with Meryl Streep.

So now that you have really low expectations on that count, enjoy! ;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:07:59 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 02:37:26 pm »
1.  Klaus Maria.... maybe it's the germanophile in me but man oh man, I already know he's sexy.

2.  I read Out of Africa but never saw it; I thought the book kinda boring, and that's from someone who does not need explosions to stay interested.  However, now that Barb says there's a show-stealing Klaus Maria in it, I'm putting in my netflix queue right away.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 02:37:57 pm »
P.S. I thought this thread was going to be about Brangelina.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 02:41:45 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 02:42:43 pm »
1.  Klaus Maria.... maybe it's the germanophile in me but man oh man, I already know he's sexy.

2.  I read Out of Africa but never saw it; I thought the book kinda boring, and that's from someone who does not need explosions to stay interested.  However, now that Barb says there's a show-stealing Klaus Maria in it, I'm putting in my netflix queue right away.

I don't know what it is about Klaus Maria, but man oh man, does he ever do it for me in this one.  Maybe it's just that his chemistry/electricity/physics/biology... with Meryl Streep was infinitely better than Robert Redford's was.  She's such a good actor that I could suspend disbelief and enjoy how into Denys her character was, but there never seemed to be any bidirectional electricity going on between them, you know?  He'd look at her, and it'd just be like "Eh."  But she and Klaus would look at each other and KA-BOOM.

Hell, it's making me want to watch it again and just fast-forward through all the scenes he's not in...
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 08:09:02 pm »
Hey! I just posted this!

Klaus Maria is a drag in this movie, and the whole movie, with the exception oif Streep, is fairly draggy, and not worth one of her best shiort stories, like The Ring, The Cardinal's Third Tale, or even Sorrow Acre.

Winter's Talers and Last Tales (not her last, by the way) are her best books of short stories..

So did someone get upset by my saying she died painfullty of syphilis of the spine--or what? There's one scene, toward the end of the movie, where Streep looks EXACTLY like a photo of her, she's in black, and somehow manages to look sharp-boned and skinny as a rail.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 11:16:30 pm »
Ok so now I was interested...so Shea and I watched it tonight....

Ummm....not my cup of tea as Mandster said...although Streeps performance was incredible...the way she mastered that accent...wow!  But other then that I didn't care for it much...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 11:20:54 pm »
LOL I thought that would happen! It wasn't really my cup of tea either, though I can appreciate why it's a good movie... I love Meryl Streep, she was the only reason I really enjoyed the movie.  Who else is excited about The Devil Wears Prada??? Ok, wrong thread...  ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 11:23:11 pm »
LOL I thought that would happen! It wasn't really my cup of tea either, though I can appreciate why it's a good movie... I love Meryl Streep, she was the only reason I really enjoyed the movie.  Who else is excited about The Devil Wears Prada??? Ok, wrong thread...  ;D

Its supposed to be really good Mandy...really good!  And Meryl Streeps performance is said to be Oscar worthy...as usual really..

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 01:45:05 am »
Its supposed to be really good Mandy...really good!  And Meryl Streeps performance is said to be Oscar worthy...as usual really..

I bet, it looks so good! I'm going to see it tomorrow, I shouldn't, i have to work and I'll be cutting it really close, but I can't wait! If I don't go see it tomorrow it'll be a good month before I get the chance to go to the movies again  :-\

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 09:19:51 pm »

LMAO!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too, that's why I paused to read it.  Heh.

Love 'Out of Africa'.  I have the movie, the book, Karen Blixen and Denys Finch Hatten's biographies and the soundtrack.

I'm a sucker for turn of the century colonial Africa and I really like the feminist take of Streep's portrayal of Blixen.  Klaus Maria Brandauer leaves Redford in the dust as far as charisma is concerned.  HE's the stud of this movie.

Favorite lines from the movie:

SPOILERS!!!!   SPOILERS!!!!  SPOILERS!!!!  SPOILERS!!!!  SPOILERS!!!
Karen, suggesting her friend Bror marry her so they both can benefit.
Bror:  No, I have to marry a virgin.  I can't stand criticism.

Karen, upon hearing her husband wants a divorce:  How do you manage it?  To keep us friends?
Bror, her husband:  We started that way.

HIGHLY recommend.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:22:51 pm by delalluvia »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2006, 07:43:51 am »
Klaus Maria Brandauer leaves Redford in the dust as far as charisma is concerned.  HE's the stud of this movie.

THANK you.  Exactly how I feel.  I recommend it too, for the music and cinematography and everyone in it except Robert Redford.  If you want to be swept up into an epic love story, that'll still happen - but it's between Karen Blixen and Africa, not between her and Denys.

Strangely enough, my favorite lines have to do with Denys:

Denys:  You've ruined it for me.
Karen:  What?
Denys:  Being alone.

Karen at Denys' grave site:  So now, take back Denys Finch Hatten.  He was not ours.  He was not mine.

No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2006, 12:04:05 pm »
If you want to be swept up into an epic love story, that'll still happen - but it's between Karen Blixen and Africa, not between her and Denys.

Exactly.  The movie is brilliant in this aspect.  Both the audience and Karen the character - and if you read her biography, the real Karen - think that it's a love story between her and Denys, when in fact, if you pull back and see the bigger picture and as the real Karen later realizes in hindsight, the love story was about her and Africa.

Love love love this movie.

Favorite romantic part:  Hair washing scene.  Not because of that intimacy, but because Denys is reciting to her the 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' during it.  And SHE knows it well enough herself to know when he's skipping verses!!!!  ZOW!!!

Other favorite line:

Farah, Karen's Somalia manservant:  God is happy, sabou.  He plays with us.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 02:11:35 pm by delalluvia »

slayers_creek_oth

Chris' Movie Questions: The Color Purple
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 06:15:20 pm »

Here I am wanting more information on another film....and the worst part about it is I think I've asked about this one before...

Gandhi....1982....Best Picture...is it any good? 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 01:00:14 am by cHrIs_sLaYeRs »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OT: Gandhi (film)
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 07:11:14 pm »
I don't think I have seen this since 1982 but my recollection is yes, good.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 09:24:05 pm »
I like the movie and have recommended the movie as mandatory viewing.  It's a decent movie about Gandhi's life, and a very inspiring story.  I am no expert on the movie’s artistic achievement, but that is one movie that I won’t mind to see it again (I think I have seen it 2 or 3 times). 

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 11:47:53 pm »
 :) Chris - this is a very good movie - much background on Ghandi and insight into the politics prior to India's independence - Ben Kingsley deserved his Oscar that year for the portrayal - he went above and beyond for the performance of his career, I think - well worth renting or buying - music is good also................
Judy

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 12:28:11 am »
Gandhi--excellent, informastive and sympathetic. Kingsly does a fine job.\

Gandhi talked of freedom one night
I said "Man, we gotta fight"
He said "Yes, but love's the weapon we must use.
For with killing no one wins
It's with love that peace begins,
It takes courage when you're only passing therough.

Passsing through, passing through,
sometimes happy, sometimes blue
glad that I ran into you
we're all brothers and we're only passing through.

Leonard Cohen song, verse inserted by Quakers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:29:47 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

vkm91941

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 01:28:30 am »
Excellent movie, I remember it as being the first time I really noticed Ben Kingsley and he was brillant. :D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 02:03:59 am »
Excellent movie, I remember it as being the first time I really noticed Ben Kingsley and he was brillant. :D

I love Ben Kingsley....he stole Schindler...

I do believe that Gandhi was his first big role as a lead actor...and hell he got an Oscar for it...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 02:11:35 am »
Alright...well I'm gonna watch it sometime in the next month....

Thanks everyone...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 01:42:06 am »
Ok so I just watched E.T. and I know there was a few upset people when the Academy gave Gandhi the Oscar over E.T.....so which one was more deserving?

vkm91941

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2006, 01:47:20 am »
Ok so I just watched E.T. and I know there was a few upset people when the Academy gave Gandhi the Oscar over E.T.....so which one was more deserving?

Love ET but Ghandi was the winner hands down

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:27 am »
Love ET but Ghandi was the winner hands down

Boy it must be really good then....thanks everyone!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 01:54:12 pm »
 :) Chris - that is such a difficult choice to make - both are excellent, absolutely wonderful movies and everything and everybody
 connected with them is so deserving of awards - if I was an Academy member, I would have been so torn on which was the better -
but that said, I am leaning towards Ghandi only because it was about a real person who really made a difference, not only in his own country but in the rest of the world as well.......... ;)
Judy

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2006, 05:13:23 pm »
:) Chris - that is such a difficult choice to make - both are excellent, absolutely wonderful movies and everything and everybody
 connected with them is so deserving of awards - if I was an Academy member, I would have been so torn on which was the better -
but that said, I am leaning towards Ghandi only because it was about a real person who really made a difference, not only in his own country but in the rest of the world as well.......... ;)

Ditto, Judy.  Tough choice indeed.  As much as I love ET, I will go with Ghandi as well.  He demonstrated how one person’s perseverance can change the history.  I don’t have a lot of respect for political figures, but Ghandi is on top of the short list of politicians (if we can even call him a politician) that I respects immensely.  I know I am biased here.  :)

slayers_creek_oth

OT: Ghost (film)
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2006, 10:07:07 pm »
This is one that I never saw....good?

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT: Ghost (film)
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 10:14:02 pm »
Yes, very romantic.  Demi Moore was at her prime time during that time.  You didn't see it?  You must be a child at that time. :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 10:18:08 pm »
Yes, very romantic.  Demi Moore was at her prime time during that time.  You didn't see it?  You must be a child at that time. :)

Yep I was like 8 or 9 when it came out...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2006, 10:43:11 pm »
I love that movie. You never saw "Ghost" Chris?

You better have your kleenex ready though. It is a real tear jerker.
 :'(

I thought so anyway. It's a beautiful movie.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:23 pm »
I LOVE Ghost! It was a favorite of mine in middle school... I was also young when it came out.  Also, great use of the song Unchained Melodies!  ;D

vkm91941

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2006, 12:49:07 am »
Very good, Patric Swazye was still good looking and Whoopie is a gas  :laugh:

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2006, 01:46:51 am »
I love that movie. You never saw "Ghost" Chris?

You better have your kleenex ready though. It is a real tear jerker.
 :'(

I thought so anyway. It's a beautiful movie.

That's what my brother said...but I can never trust him...he cried during Jerry MaGuire...LOL

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2006, 01:47:03 am »
Thanks everyone...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2006, 04:56:09 am »
Thanks everyone...

This one was like Titanic in that it was in the theater for months and months and everyone was surprised at just what a hit it became. Everyone is great. Whoopi Goldberg is hysterical, Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze look terrific, and the bad guy makes you want to hiss and boo. The guy who plays the ghost in the subway died not that long ago.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2006, 05:28:33 pm »
This one was like Titanic in that it was in the theater for months and months and everyone was surprised at just what a hit it became. Everyone is great. Whoopi Goldberg is hysterical, Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze look terrific, and the bad guy makes you want to hiss and boo. The guy who plays the ghost in the subway died not that long ago.

I thought the bad guy was VERY cute. Really, REALLY cute.

Can't remember his name though. ???

He sure was hot though.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2006, 05:47:19 pm »
FYI,

The hot bad guy was Tony Goldwyn: very hot and very evil!

Great movie, really holds up over time.  Whoopi provides wonderful comic relief.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: The Color Purple
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2006, 01:03:27 am »

Ok so my next movie is The Color Purple....Steven Spielberg....1985....one of the few that goes in with a leading number of Oscar noms and leaves with zip....good?

vkm91941

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2006, 01:20:33 am »
Yes, excellent film, outstanding cast, good well told story.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2006, 03:57:00 am »

Ok so my next movie is The Color Purple....Steven Spielberg....1985....one of the few that goes in with a leading number of Oscar noms and leaves with zip....good?

Oh. The Color Purple. Another tear jerker. Oprah Winfrey, Danny Glover, Adolph Caesar, Margaret Avery, Rae Dawn Chong and Whoopi Goldberg were ALL wonderful in it!

But, seriously this time Chris, have your tissues ready.... for real! :'(

It is an absolutely beautiful movie... inspiring, sad, tragic, and full of love and hope. It is  a movie that encompasses all the human emotions and it is all neatly packaged into a beautiful, heart crushing 2 1/2 hour movie.

Just prepare to cry a lot!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2006, 10:31:45 am »
Excellent movie, I re-watched it not that long ago. I suggest you read the book, too. The book is all letters. It is interesting to see how they adapted it to film.

Leslie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2006, 02:52:08 pm »
Thanks everyone...

You're welcome Chris.

By the way,  if you want to see "Ghost", they are showing it today (Saturday July 8th) on CMT at 5 pm Eastern/4 pm Central. :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2006, 05:10:07 pm »
Cool thanks everyone....

Next:  The English Patient....is it as boring as people say it is...

Offline littleguitar

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: The English Patient
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2006, 05:44:44 pm »
I've never seen it Chris, but every time I think of renting it, I think of a particular Seinfeld episode then put it right back on the shelf...  ;)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2006, 06:48:58 pm »
I've never seen it Chris, but every time I think of renting it, I think of a particular Seinfeld episode then put it right back on the shelf...  ;)

LOL....I get ya!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2006, 06:51:46 pm »
I think it's great Chris. It's got all that restaint with passion bubbling underneath the surface thing going on - very English. Great performances from Juliette Binoche & Ralph Fiennes. VERY moving at the end. Oh, and the cinematography & music are fabulous too!
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2006, 07:16:20 pm »
My favorite part of the book was the necrophilia scene -- well, it takes place off-stage, but it's alluded to, and it's presented as romantic and kind of sexy, which to me was a very novel idea, to say the least. Unfortunately, the filmmakers chickened out and left it out of the movie.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2006, 07:23:44 pm »
I love "The English Patient."  But then, I love Ralph Fiennes.  Actually, this was the movie of his that sent me over the edge where that's concerned.  Well, this and "Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights'" (with him as Heathcliff and Juliette Binoche as Cathy).  The characters he plays in both movies are not likable.  Not at all.  And yet you feel for them because he gives them a vulnerability someone else wouldn't have been able to carry off.

Even better than the movie "The English Patient" is Ralph Fiennes' reading of the book.  Actually a condensed form of the book that was recorded a year or two after he made the movie.  What he does with the characters' dialog is amazing.  He doesn't make his voice go up an octave when he reads the females' words - but he changes something so subtle in cadence and intonation that he makes the distinction between the male and females, when talking with each other, easy.  And he has the most remarkable voice.  I could listen to him read a dictionary and swoon.

I thought the movie was really beautiful - especially Juliette Binoche's role in it.  She is truly the star and the moral compass or conscience of the piece.  She's the glue, as they say, that holds it all together.  I would watch it for her alone, and when I do rewatch it, it's mostly for her (and the cheap thrills every now and again at Ralph's physical loveliness and raw intensity, of course).
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2006, 09:54:29 pm »
I agree with Barb, mostly, Ralph Fiennes is excellent as this throughly unlikable character.  Juliet Binoche is wonderful and the part of the story which centers around her character is very good.  I thought it an overly long, visually stunning, but unsympathetic film.  In other words not my favorite Picasso.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2006, 10:11:11 pm »
I agree with Barb, mostly, Ralph Fiennes is excellent as this throughly unlikable character.  Juliet Binoche is wonderful and the part of the story which centers around her character is very good.  I thought it an overly long, visually stunning, but unsympathetic film.  In other words not my favorite Picasso.

"unsympathetic"... interesting Vicky.  I actually felt the opposite.  The movie really haunted me for a while because of my sympathy for the love and lost of the characters.  But a good friend of me sort of felt the same way - unsympathetic.  To her, it was the infidelity that she can not sympathize.

Anyway you have all mentioned Ralph Fienness and Juliet Binoche's performance.  I just want to add that I think Kristin Scott Thomas also gave a terrific performance.  I am not sure if I have seen her movie before The English Patient, but both my husband and I started to follow her other movies because of her performance in this movie.  I think my husband had a thing for her. ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2006, 10:54:04 pm »
I can understand that, Jenny.  She's so beautiful in a kind of exotic way.  She's like a female matinee idol in it.

No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My GHOST Review
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2006, 09:54:39 pm »
Ok so I watched Ghost...pretty good!  Kinda bummed that I missed it all these years...

Wasn't real impressed with Patrick Swayze but I never have been...and although Demi had quite a bit of screen time she didn't have a whole lot of dialogue...she did pretty good with the material given...

Now Whoopi however warrants her own paragraph...she made the whole show IMO.  She's a crack up!  Wouldn't have been the same without her.  When she tells Sam that she'll tell Molly about the danger in her own way...the 'Molly...you're in a whole lotta danger girl' line....still got me rolling.  Definitely deserved that Oscar...

The story was pretty good...and soft in some parts.  The last line when Sam tells Molly thta he loves her and she says 'ditto'....timeless! 

All in all I give it a 7...

Thanks everyone....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2006, 10:36:11 pm »
Ok so I watched Ghost...pretty good!  Kinda bummed that I missed it all these years...

Wasn't real impressed with Patrick Swayze but I never have been...and although Demi had quite a bit of screen time she didn't have a whole lot of dialogue...she did pretty good with the material given...

Now Whoopi however warrants her own paragraph...she made the whole show IMO.  She's a crack up!  Wouldn't have been the same without her.  When she tells Sam that she'll tell Molly about the danger in her own way...the 'Molly...you're in a whole lotta danger girl' line....still got me rolling.  Definitely deserved that Oscar...

The story was pretty good...and soft in some parts.  The last line when Sam tells Molly thta he loves her and she says 'ditto'....timeless! 

All in all I give it a 7...

Thanks everyone....

I'm glad you enjoyed "Ghost" Chris.

I missed your question about "Out of Africa" though.

I loved that movie. Although I am a HUGE Meryl Streep fan.... and I love anything she is in.  :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2006, 01:54:17 am »
I missed your question about "Out of Africa" though.

I loved that movie. Although I am a HUGE Meryl Streep fan.... and I love anything she is in.  :)

I couldn't sit through it...not my kinda movie I guess. 

But I also love Meryl Streep...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 02:12:19 am »
What's the next movie you would like to ask us about?  ;)

We're here and waiting for ya Chris!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2006, 02:14:59 am »
Ok next....

One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest

Best Picture 1975...Jack Nicholson in his first Oscar winning role...

Offline littleguitar

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2006, 02:17:27 am »
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest... very good, but doesn't come anywhere near the book IMO.  I'm glad I saw the movie before reading the book, because if I hadn't, I would have hated the movie.  Very good performance by Jack Nicholson though!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2006, 02:23:55 am »
Ok next....

One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest

Best Picture 1975...Jack Nicholson in his first Oscar winning role...

It's been years since I saw this movie. I remember I liked it, and thought it was very well acted.  Jack Nicholson (as you pointed out, won an Oscar for his performance), Louise Fletcher, William Redfield, Michal Berryman and Brad Dourif all gave stellar performances in the film. The movie is about 2 1/2 hours long, and I found it interesting but confusing in certain parts. This could be because I haven't seen it in 30 years (I was about 14 at the time). I did enjoy the movie though. Highly recommended!  :)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: As Good as it Gets
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2006, 10:47:52 pm »
Ok this was a popular one that I didn't ever see....

Next on the agenda is As Good as it Gets.....again Jack Nicholson....Helen Hunt...both won Oscars...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2006, 10:52:30 pm »
Ok this was a popular one that I didn't ever see....

Next on the agenda is As Good as it Gets.....again Jack Nicholson....Helen Hunt...both won Oscars...

Another good one! My mother loved this movie. Everytime I see it, I always think of her.

Greg Kinnear did an excellent job portraying a gay man(He is a Hoosier too. He's from Logansport, Indiana), as did Cuba Gooding Jr.

And of course I loved Helen Hunt too. Of course, I am a big fan of hers.  :D

vkm91941

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2006, 11:01:49 pm »
Good, not great movie.  Loved Greg Kinnear and the dog!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2006, 01:15:14 am »
Quite watchable and rentable. And speaking of 'ables, Greg Kinnear is always so likable! Two quibables about that one, though. I am sick sick sick of movies in which

1) A 60-something man is paired romantically with a 30-something woman and their age difference is barely even commented upon or made an issue. Whereas, if the genders were reversed, for a much older woman/younger man pairing -- which has happened mabe twice in the history of cinema -- it would be the whole point of the movie.

2) The title doesn't tell us anything whatsoever about the movie, so it's instantly forgettable and doesn't conjure any images when you hear it later. For instance, this time I saw the title on the thread and thought, let's see, is that the one with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton? (No, that's Something's Gotta Give, which has the same problem.)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2006, 01:43:22 am »
I think I remember liking it, but I haven't seen it in years. Katherine is right, it has sort of a forgettable quality to me too.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2006, 02:38:15 am »
Good, not great movie.  Loved Greg Kinnear and the dog!

Vicky -

I loved that little dog too. What was his name? Verdel? I wonder what kind of dog he is. I have seen those dogs before, but I can't remember what the name of the breed is. I loved the interaction between the little dog and Jack Nicholson. Classic! :D

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2006, 06:50:03 am »
I loved that little dog too.

Everyone did! My favourite bit was when Jack Nicholson was avoiding stepping on the cracks in the pavement, so Verdel did the same! So sweet!

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Seven
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2006, 01:17:32 pm »
Ok thanks everyone...

Ok next....Seven aka Se7en....Gwyneth Paltrow, Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman....David Fincher directs..

vkm91941

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2006, 01:21:01 pm »
Seven.  Incredibly Intense film.  VERY graphically violent almost gratutiously so.  Morgan Freeman is his usual wonderful self, a very young Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow are believable, Kevin Spacey is scarier than Sir Anthony as Hanibal Lecter.  Major twist at the end that I did not see coming. Sparsely filmed, almost noir quality.  Moody, brooding, dark

Not a film for those with a weak heart or stomach.  Almost too much for me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:27:07 pm by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2006, 01:23:15 pm »
Kevin Spacey is scarier than Sir Anthony as Hanibal Lecter.  

Really?  Wow...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2006, 01:40:11 pm »
I wonder if Zodiac is going to be the same...also a David Fincher Film...

The Silence of the Lambs was a very gritty, dark, moody and at times gratuitous film but to me it had a certain level of nobility to it...if that makes sense..

It was horror at its finest but was also very artistic and VERY well made.  To me it was a noble, powerful and almost beautiful film...ya know? 

Ok so you can commit to the psych ward now...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 08:05:23 pm by cHrIs_sLaYeRs »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2006, 04:21:47 pm »
Chris -

I love Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman, but I didn't like Se7en.

It is a deeply distrubing movie and very disgusting.  :P

Many people liked this movie... I wasn't one of them.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2006, 04:34:52 pm »
 :) I saw Se7en and then almost immediately after that, The Usual Suspects - needless to say Kevin Spacey was awesome in both!  and both had surprise endings which just blew me away(especially The Usual Suspects) - I am a big fan of suspense/thriller movies and both of these were incredible - dare I say the suspense was almost palpable - Se7en is much darker and intense, but the Usual Suspects was so clever and and almost lighthearted that although you never asked about it, I felt compelled to include it with my commentary on Se7en since they both have Spacey in them - can't go wrong with either of them......................
Judy

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2006, 04:47:24 pm »
I like Seven a lot, I agree with Vic's statement one hundred percent (though, the gore wasn't too much for me).  Kevin Spacey's performance is chilling.

From what I hear of Zodiac, Chris, it's supposed to be very different from both Seven (despite the serial killer theme) and Fight Club.  They say this film is a different move for Fincher all together...

I wanted to echo Judy's recommendation though, The Usual Suspects is a very good movie, you should see it if you haven't.  Kevin Spacey is brilliant and I don't know anyone who wasn't thrown for a loop (in a good way) by the ending.  This is one of my all time favorite movies  :)

moremojo

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2006, 04:49:31 pm »

I have to honestly report that I think The Color Purple is a bad film. It is bad in that director Steven Spielberg's excessive sentimentality betrays the seriousness of the subject matter. The film also sugar-coats the story's element of lesbianism, and elides it in an attempt to pander to the audience's assumed middlebrow tastes. Spielberg's technical expertise and a solid, talented cast fail to counterbalance the overly sentimental treatment of what remains, at its heart, a powerful story.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:21:30 pm by moremojo »

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: The Sixth Sense
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2006, 05:58:03 pm »
Thanks everyone...

Ok you wanna hear something really strange...I never saw The Sixth Sense...at least not all the way through...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2006, 06:01:27 pm »
Oh yeah...and the really sick part is I own every single one of these movies that I've asked about...they're all still in the shrink wrap...

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2006, 06:05:15 pm »
Can't believe that you have not seen The Sixth Sense (collecting my jaw from the floor). That's a pretty recent movie.  :o

I hope you don't know the plots of the movie.  It's a great movie, now go watch it ASAP.

vkm91941

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2006, 07:03:42 pm »
The Sixth Sense is the only Bruce Willis film where he doesn't get on my nerves.  It's a good film with a powerful ending.  Watch it!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2006, 07:04:41 pm »
Thanks everyone...

Ok you wanna hear something really strange...I never saw The Sixth Sense...at least not all the way through...

The Sixth Sense was a good movie.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I had to watch it twice. It took a second viewing for me to understand what happened.

It was very good though. Dark, mysterious, and very scary! :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2006, 07:20:12 pm »
The Sixth Sense is the only Bruce Willis film where he doesn't get on my nerves.  It's a good film with a powerful ending.  Watch it!

I really liked him in this and in 12 Monkeys.  Beyond that, I can't think of any where he doesn't get on my nerves, either.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2006, 07:55:18 pm »
Oh yeah...and the really sick part is I own every single one of these movies that I've asked about...they're all still in the shrink wrap...

God. What happened Chris? Did you join one of those movie clubs or something?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2006, 07:58:26 pm »
God. What happened Chris? Did you join one of those movie clubs or something?

No...LOL  I just buy every new release every Tuesday...I usually get around to watchin them all within a year or so...LOL

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2006, 08:03:51 pm »
Ok so I just re-read my own little review of The Silence of the Lambs there and I realized that I actually said that a movie about a man who eats people is beautiful and noble....I can only imagine what ya'll are thinkin of me now...LOL

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2006, 08:05:29 pm »
I really like The Sixth Sense. A lot of people say they could see the twist at the end coming, but I didn't at all. You should definitely get that one out of the shrink wrap Chris!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2006, 08:08:59 pm »
I really like The Sixth Sense. A lot of people say they could see the twist at the end coming, but I didn't at all. You should definitely get that one out of the shrink wrap Chris!

Yes. An the movie is riddled with symbolism and hints. Try to watch for them.

....."They're Everywhere"...... ::)

Bad joke.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:24 pm »
Jake's movie 'Zodiac' is not going to be anytihng like 'Se7en'.

The Zodiac killer - a real person - two actually - didn't kill like the psycho did in 'Se7en'.  He wasn't overly weird or gruesome.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2006, 08:14:07 pm »
Jake's movie 'Zodiac' is not going to be anytihng like 'Se7en'.

The Zodiac killer - a real person - two actually - didn't kill like the psycho did in 'Se7en'.  He wasn't overly weird or gruesome.

I actually was just referring to the moody, brooding and dark statement...I wonder if Zodiac will be like that.  The same emotional directorial style that is seen in Fight Club and Panic Room....many subtle similarities between the two...

Ya know?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2006, 08:18:35 pm »
I actually was just referring to the moody, brooding and dark statement...I wonder if Zodiac will be like that.  The same emotional directorial style that is seen in Fight Club and Panic Room....many subtle similarities between the two...

Ya know?

Yeah Chris, that's what I was talking about when I said I think it's going to be a really different Fincher movie... I think it will have some of that dark, brooding quality, but, from what I've read, it seems like he takes this one in a new direction, I can't wait!

Now go watch the Sixth Sense! What's wrong with you?  ;) Seriously though, I can't believe you haven't seen this, it is really good, the best M. Night Shamalan IMO, I think he just gets steadily worse and his movies get more predictable as he goes (though I've still enojoyed most of them...) Anyone planning on seeing Lady in the Water?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2006, 08:22:46 pm »
Now go watch the Sixth Sense! What's wrong with you?  ;) Seriously though, I can't believe you haven't seen this, it is really good, the best M. Night Shamalan IMO, I think he just gets steadily worse and his movies get more predictable as he goes (though I've still enojoyed most of them...) Anyone planning on seeing Lady in the Water?

Nope....looks kinda dumb to me...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2006, 08:24:01 pm »
Me too, I'm boycotting, after the Village I decided I was done with his movies... (go ahead those who love the Village and yell at me  :) )

vkm91941

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2006, 08:29:51 pm »
Me too, I'm boycotting, after the Village I decided I was done with his movies... (go ahead those who love the Village and yell at me  :) )

I liked the Village but I won't yell at you sweetie because I can see where it is not everyone's cup of tea.  I personally can't stand Paul Giamati that's enough to steer me clear of Lady in the Water right there...and the teaser and TV ads have not intrigued me at all.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2006, 08:30:40 pm »
I personally can't stand Paul Giamati that's enough to steer me clear of Lady in the Water right there

Neither can I...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »
I like M. Night's movies.  Some are better than others to be sure.  I liked the 'Village' up until it turned into a 'Twilight Zone' episode.

I was intrigued by 'Lady in the Water' until I went to some website or read some magazine article, I can't even recall what my source was - and the entire plot was spelled out without warning including the twist.

Now, who knows if that source was right or not, but that pretty much doomed the movie for me.  Plus, none of the actors does anything for me.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2006, 08:37:21 pm »
I liked the Village but I won't yell at you sweetie because I can see where it is not everyone's cup of tea.  I personally can't stand Paul Giamati that's enough to steer me clear of Lady in the Water right there...and the teaser and TV ads have not intrigued me at all.

Thanks Vic  ;)

No, I liked the village until about half way through.  Partly I was frustrated with his inability to make a movie without a twist ending because I've started looking for them in his movies and predicted the village about 15 minutes into it, which was really frustrating.  I kept telling myself that he wouldn't take it the direction I thought he was going to, but then he did.... Also, spoiler ahead,  I hated the fact that we spent the first half of the movie concentrating on Joaquin Phoenix's character then suddenly he was taken away from us and we were asked to concentrate on Bryce Dallas Howard, nothing annoys me more than putting my energy into a character for no reason...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:54 pm »
nothing annoys me more than putting my energy into a character for no reason

One of my beefs with 'King Kong'.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2006, 10:38:13 pm »
I didn't like The Village either. The Sixth Sense is MUCH better. Go watch it Chris!

And I probably won't see The Lady in the Water. Doesn't really look like I'd like it.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My THE SIXTH SENSE Review
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2006, 11:54:24 pm »
Ok I just got done watching The Sixth Sense...loved it!  But Bruce Willis Schmillis...Haley Joel Osment stole that show by a land slide...not quite as scary as I thought it would be...but still good!  More thrilling then scary...

I also wish I didn't already know about the ending with Bruce Willis being a ghost and all....damn 50 First Dates...anyways...thanks everyone...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2006, 02:10:10 pm »
Ok there is one thing that I'm a little confused on...what happened to the kid?  Did he just learn to befriend the ghosts or what?  They didn't really say a whole lot on that matter...either that or I didn't pay attention...

vkm91941

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2006, 02:41:28 pm »
Ok there is one thing that I'm a little confused on...what happened to the kid?  Did he just learn to befriend the ghosts or what?  They didn't really say a whole lot on that matter...either that or I didn't pay attention...

My take was that the Child Psychiatrist, Bruce Willis, helped him understand the ghosts, that they were just people who needed him to hear and maybe help them have closure on their lives.  So in the end I guess yeah you could say he learned to befriend them after being terrified for so long or least to understand them and how special his gift was.  That make sense.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2006, 02:45:48 pm »
My take was that the Child Psychiatrist, Bruce Willis, helped him understand the ghosts, that they were just people who needed him to hear and maybe help them have closure on their lives.  So in the end I guess yeah you could say he learned to befriend them after being terrified for so long or least to understand them and how special his gift was.  That make sense.

Yep...makes perfect sense...thanks!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2006, 07:13:49 pm »

See? This is why I had to watch it a second time. It was confusing.  ???

Watch it again Chris, and everything will get straightened out for you.  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2006, 08:00:08 pm »
y'all are making me want to watch it again... that and the Princess Diaries... am I allowed to ask about movies on your thread Chris? What are your opinions on the Princess Diaries movies?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2006, 08:04:24 pm »
y'all are making me want to watch it again... that and the Princess Diaries... am I allowed to ask about movies on your thread Chris? What are your opinions on the Princess Diaries movies?

Of course and Princess Diaries...not my kinda movie I suppose...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2006, 08:36:25 pm »
LOL didn't think it would be, oh well I rented it anyway... that and Mean Girls? How is that one? I'm not really sure why I rented it, I don't like Lindsay Lohan at all, but a friend of mine keeps telling me to watch it and I finally gave in

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2006, 08:56:33 pm »
I liked the Princess Diaries, but I've always liked movies like that. I'm such a girl.

Mean Girls is ok. I don't like Lindsay Lohan either, but I guess the movie as a whole isn't that bad. It has its moments.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2006, 09:02:52 pm »
Chris. do you have another movie for us or have you reached the end of your list?

If you do, fire away.  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2006, 11:01:27 pm »
Can I suggest a movie to discuss? 

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2006, 11:07:39 pm »
Can I suggest a movie to discuss? 

Of course...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2006, 11:11:21 pm »
Anybody else like MOULIN ROUGE?  I saw that one 'a few times' also in the theatres...  Discuss..

moremojo

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2006, 11:16:27 pm »
Anybody else like MOULIN ROUGE?  I saw that one 'a few times' also in the theatres...  Discuss..
Hi, Eric--

Don't have a lot of time right now, but I wanted to chime in here and say that, yes, I enjoyed Moulin Rouge!, having seen it in the theater when it came out, with my sister (who also liked it). All the performers had quite winning singing voices, and Ewan McGregor has a most winning smile! The movie's carnivalesque atmosphere reminded me of the films of Ken Russell, and the central conceit of interpolating late-twentieth century pop songs into a turn-of-the-century milieu was both clever and effective.

For now, gotta run...

Scott
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 10:24:59 am by moremojo »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2006, 11:42:01 pm »
I had second hand embarrasment for the first 20 minutes or so of Moulin Rouge... but other than that I loved it.  Ewan McGregor is so perfect in it, I can almost forgive him for beating Jake to the part  ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2006, 03:47:09 am »
I had second hand embarrasment for the first 20 minutes or so of Moulin Rouge... but other than that I loved it.  Ewan McGregor is so perfect in it, I can almost forgive him for beating Jake to the part  ::)

You had a second hand embarrassment? What do you mean? What happened?

I haven't seen this movie yet!  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2006, 09:41:35 am »
LOL oh sorry, that's a little joke between some friends and I, sometimes I forget people don't know the lingo I make up in my head.... I get embarrassed for other people really easy, and if I see someone doing something silly I usually get embarrassed as if I'm the one doing the silly thing... don't ask why, I have no clue.  So, sometimes when embarrassing things happen in movies I feel that way, then I get to feeling embarrassed for the actors and director.... and the first 20 minutes of that movie are full of embarrassing moments (story wise and filmmaking wise, IMO)... That may not make any sense at all...

I swear, the rest of the movie is gold though, it's one of my favorites, I even enjoy the first 20 minutes or so despite my embarrassment...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2006, 12:07:35 pm »
The first 20 minutes goes at a really rapid pace.

I suspect Baz Lurman did this intentionally to weave out anybody who may not like the film in the end.  In other words, if you survive the first 20 minutes, you're going to love the rest of the movie. 

Those who came to the theatre in June 2001 just because of that Christina Aguilara (sp?) video were probably really bored and left the theatre during the first 20 minutes, which was good for those who remained...

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Mystic River
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2006, 04:20:24 pm »
Ok next:  Mystic River...Clint Eastwood film.  Won Oscars for Tim Robbins and Sean Penn...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:54:24 pm by The CHRIS »

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Mystic River & Traffic
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2006, 04:53:26 pm »
We're gonna do a double feature here...

How was Traffic?  Robbed Ang of his first Oscar only because Steven Soderbergh(sp) had two nominations that year...but anyways...good?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2006, 05:08:38 pm »
I thought Traffic was very good.  My husband didn't like it as much as I did - he thought it lacked... something.  I especially enjoyed Benicio Del Toro's performance as the beleaguered (but good) Mexican cop.

I liked Mystic River but must confess that I think Sean Penn is by far the most overrated actor out there.  I watched it in spite of him because I uber-love Tim Robbins.  I thought he was excellent and deserved his Supporting Actor Oscar (back when those still mattered to me, of course).  Probably needless to say I did not think Sean Penn deserved his - I think it was another one of those "body of work" Oscars like I happen to think Phillip Seymour Hoffman walked off with this past year.

I would recommend both.  Traffic more highly overall.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »
LOL oh sorry, that's a little joke between some friends and I, sometimes I forget people don't know the lingo I make up in my head.... I get embarrassed for other people really easy, and if I see someone doing something silly I usually get embarrassed as if I'm the one doing the silly thing... don't ask why, I have no clue.  So, sometimes when embarrassing things happen in movies I feel that way, then I get to feeling embarrassed for the actors and director.... and the first 20 minutes of that movie are full of embarrassing moments (story wise and filmmaking wise, IMO)... That may not make any sense at all...

I swear, the rest of the movie is gold though, it's one of my favorites, I even enjoy the first 20 minutes or so despite my embarrassment...

Oh okay. Thanks for explaining it to me. I thought maybe you dumped a drink on somebody, or accidently sat down with the wrong group of people when you returned to your seat (both of which I have done before). But I guess those would really be more like first hand embarrassments.   :)

vkm91941

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2006, 10:48:58 am »
Never saw Traffic Chris, but I did see Mystic River when it came out on HBO.  Another dark piece, excellent acting good but disturbing story.  See it

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:06 am »
I loved both. I agree with Barb about Benicio del Toro in Traffic. He was fantastic. And though I really like Sean Penn, I am beginning to see some truth in the "overrated" argument, too ....

As I sat there waiting for Mystic River to start, I remembered what I'd read about it in reviews and suddenly got actually scared, realizing what I had let myself in for ... the opening is VERY disturbing. But it's a very good movie.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2006, 04:09:52 pm »
Ok thanks again...

Next:  The Gangs of New York...Martin Scorsese....not a real big fan of his...plus he has this strange obesssion with Leo DiCaprio...or vice versa...but anyways....is this a drag like The Aviator was (at least IMO)? 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2006, 04:48:10 pm »
I liked GoNY, too! But then, I like Scorcese, DiCaprio AND The Aviator, so take that into account. But the best part of GoNY is Daniel Day Lewis -- his character is really compelling and scary, even if he does walk around in tall top hats and plaid pants. It's about a fascinating period in New York City history.

You pick interesting movies, Chris.

moremojo

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2006, 05:18:52 pm »
Ok thanks again...

Next:  The Gangs of New York...Martin Scorsese....not a real big fan of his...plus he has this strange obesssion with Leo DiCaprio...or vice versa...but anyways....is this a drag like The Aviator was (at least IMO)? 
This is an ambitious film, and Scorsese's intelligence is never in question, but I deem this movie to be overall a failure. It has a sprawling feel to it, lacking cohesion and even purpose. It is distinguished by handsome art direction and a cast of actors who give their all but are unable to overcome the flawed material. Still worth checking out for anyone interested in this period of New York's history, or counts themselves a Scorsese fan.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York & Secretary
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2006, 05:33:27 pm »
Ok another double feature....

Secretary....doe eyed Maggie Gyllenhaal...James Spader....I believe Maggie got a nomination for this...any good?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2006, 05:34:46 pm »
You pick interesting movies, Chris.

I love movies!  I just don't see half of them...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »
Ok another double feature....

Secretary....doe eyed Maggie Gyllenhaal...James Spader....I believe Maggie got a nomination for this...any good?

Any good? Chris, seriously, this is one of my all time favorite movies! you have to see it, I can't believe you haven't.  Maggie Gyllenhaal is perfect, and James Spader is weird as usual but that's why I love him.  It is a very good, sweet, funny, sad, strange alternative love story.  i can't say enough about it.  And it has a very beautiful ending.  Watch it!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2006, 08:32:34 pm »
I loved Secretary.  But I found Gangs of New York unwatchable.  I turned it off after 15 minutes, and that was when it was first out on DVD.  And I usually really dig Scorsese movies.

Can I please add Daniel Day-Lewis to my list of most over-rated actors?  The only thing I've ever found him good in was In the Name of the Father.  Other than that, he always comes off in that same smarmy-ass way of his.  And he's right up there with Sean Penn in the over-emoting department.  I actually quite like Leo, but Danny Boy I just cannot stand.
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2006, 08:41:36 pm »

Any good? Chris, seriously, this is one of my all time favorite movies! you have to see it, I can't believe you haven't.  Maggie Gyllenhaal is perfect, and James Spader is weird as usual but that's why I love him.  It is a very good, sweet, funny, sad, strange alternative love story.  i can't say enough about it.  And it has a very beautiful ending.  Watch it!

ditto what my sweet Mandy said  :D Excellent film and I love Maggie and James together in it they click...good chemistry, good quirky story.

and Gangs of New York, I can't stand Leo or Cameron Diaz so that colored my experience of the film but Daniel Day Lewis's performance was worth the price of admission

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2006, 10:05:45 pm »
Daniel Day Lewis's performance was worth the price of admission

Could not agree more! I loved Daniel Day Lewis in this, and hadn't been a big fan of his until I saw it.  I also am not a big fan of Cameron Diaz, but I do think that Leo was alright in this, not great, but not terrible.  He keeps growing on me as an actor though, I liked him in Catch me if you Can and The Aviator...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2006, 11:15:42 pm »
Cool...I'll check em both out! 

Ok next is Monster...Charlize Theron in what is supposed to be one of the most incredible performances in cinematic history (Roger Ebert)...

Offline littleguitar

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Monster
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:37 pm »
it's been a while... but I remember it being alright.  I wasn't as impressed as most people.  I have to be honest, I'm not a Charlize Theron fan, I think she's a fairly overrated actress.  Don't get me wrong, she was good in Monster, but I've seen better.

vkm91941

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2006, 11:40:38 pm »

Ok next is Monster...Charlize Theron in what is supposed to be one of the most incredible performances in cinematic history (Roger Ebert)...

It's OK, in this case I think most critic's (R.E.) included were mesmerised by the transformation  wrought by the make-up department and confused it for great acting.  She's good and she's believable but she didn't make me forget even for a second that she was really Charlise Theron

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Monster & Cast Away
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2006, 12:00:29 am »
This is another one that I'm ashamed to say I never saw...it being such a huge hit and me being a HUGE Tom Hanks fan...plus I love Robert Zemeckis too...is Cast Away worth the $233 million it made?

vkm91941

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2006, 12:06:55 am »
This is another one that I'm ashamed to say I never saw...it being such a huge hit and me being a HUGE Tom Hanks fan...plus I love Robert Zemeckis too...is Cast Away worth the $233 million it made?

I liked it.  Thought it was excellent.  Tom Hanks at his best.  Only role I liked him in more was Road to Perdition.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2006, 12:10:53 am »
 :) Castaway was pretty much a one man show and Tom Hanks really went the distance for it losing a lot of weight to make himself look almost emaciated - the ending was kinda strange though - all in all a pretty good movie, I think.....................
Judy

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2006, 01:17:18 am »
'Cast Away' was very sad.  Especially the end.

I remember watching the trailer, and people - me included - were like "Oh, deserted island, guy is stranded, a castaway..."

But when I actually went to see the movie and the title came up, it read "Cast....Away." and literally, the audience, as one, went 'Ohhhhh..."

That changed the entire mood and meaning of the movie.

I liked 'Gangs of New York'.  Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.  Leo IMO is overrated in anything he's ever come out in, except maybe 'Gilbert Grape'.  Cameron Diaz was useless in this movie.  Her part had absolutely no impact on the characters or plotline.  The movie easily could have been made without her or instead with some no-name extra being the warm body/eye candy.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2006, 09:33:25 am »
It's OK, in this case I think most critic's (R.E.) included were mesmerised by the transformation  wrought by the make-up department and confused it for great acting.  She's good and she's believable but she didn't make me forget even for a second that she was really Charlise Theron

Could not agree more...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2006, 09:50:48 am »

Monster was good, but what I was more interested in was the woman the story is about, Aileen Wuornos, who, apparently in real life, really was a monster. "Monster" (the movie) takes a few liberties with her life (there is a rape scene near the beginning which supposedly did not occur). There are two documentaries made about Wuornos which I have not seen, but would like to. The first one, if I recall correctly, covers the time of her trial and early incarceration. The second one is the last year of her life, before she was executed. The woman was mentally ill her entire life, but they say in the second documentary, to watch the transformation as she becomes stark, raving, mad is truly incredible.

Leslie

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: The Ice Storm
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2006, 08:39:13 pm »
Ok next:  Our very own Ang Lee's The Ice Storm...supposedly very overlooked critically and commercially...good?

vkm91941

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2006, 12:56:20 am »
The Ice Storm...Hmmmm excellent....Beware, this is one that will stay with you for a long time... This film IS pressure, temptation, collapse carefully dragging the viewer where you know you don't wanna go, but secretly can't help needing to find out the truth from the Truthteller, and you know you're gonna get the real magillah. Ugly, icky, and at times disturbingly stimulating.  A+   The film was just brilliant. It really nearly broke my heart. Every performance is perfect. The direction by Ang Lee is deliberate and painful as he slices into you with the lives of those he makes you watch

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2006, 12:57:20 am »
The Ice Storm...Hmmmm excellent....Beware, this is one that will stay with you for a long time... This film IS pressure, temptation, collapse carefully dragging the viewer where you know you don't wanna go, but secretly can't help needing to find out the truth from the Truthteller, and you know you're gonna get the real magillah. Ugly, icky, and at times disturbingly stimulating.  A+   The film was just brilliant. It really nearly broke my heart. Every performance is perfect. The direction by Ang Lee is deliberate and painful as he slices into you with the lives of those he makes you watch

And you aren't just sayin that becuase of a possible Ang bias that you may have?  LOL

vkm91941

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2006, 12:58:43 am »
And you aren't just sayin that becuase of a possible Ang bias that you may have?  LOL

Shhhhhhshhhh don't tell anyone!  lol  :laugh:  lol.. Um but seriouslyI saw this one before I knew who Ang Lee was and I was VERY impressed.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2006, 12:54:21 am »
Ok so I watched Mystic River and LOVED it!  Tim Robbins and Marcia Gay Harden definitely stood out the most to me.  I've never been impressed with Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon was Kevin Bacon.  The end was pretty incredible.  Didn't see it coming at all.  Eastwood's second best (after Million Dollar Baby) IMO!  And it also helped prove my previous opinion that Clint Eastwood is a much better director then he is actor...again IMO!  Don't get me wrong...he can act...but I think he is more talented behind the camera then in front...

mvansand76

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2006, 06:54:00 am »
Ok so I watched Mystic River and LOVED it!  Tim Robbins and Marcia Gay Harden definitely stood out the most to me.  I've never been impressed with Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon was Kevin Bacon.  The end was pretty incredible.  Didn't see it coming at all.  Eastwood's second best (after Million Dollar Baby) IMO!  And it also helped prove my previous opinion that Clint Eastwood is a much better director then he is actor...again IMO!  Don't get me wrong...he can act...but I think he is more talented behind the camera then in front...

OMG, this movie is in my top ten of all-time favorites! So tragic, so intense, to have three of the best actors in ONE movie is almost too much to bear!