Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41345 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: OT: Monster's Ball?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:47:48 am »
Or Lords of Dogtown!

slayers_creek_oth

Chris' Movie Questions: The Color Purple
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 01:12:50 am »
Ok I merged all my threads asking about movies into one....so I'm just gonna change the subject everytime I have a question and bump it to the top...

I would post this on the Movie Recommendation thread but I don't know when it would be answered and its kinda urgent...

The movie Out of Africa....Meryl Streep.....Best Picture 1985....any good?

Thanks in advance..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 01:02:08 am by cHrIs_sLaYeRs »

vkm91941

Re: OT: Out of Africa!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 02:34:33 am »
I would post this on the Movie Recommendation thread but I don't know when it would be answered and its kinda urgent...

The movie Out of Africa....Meryl Streep.....Best Picture 1985....any good?

Thanks in advance..

OK no one's responded so I will...

Out Of Africa 1985

Meryl Streep, Robert Redford
Directed by Sidney Pollock

Excellent MOVIE..basically...Supposed true story Follows the life of Karen Blixen, (pen name'Isak' Dinesen)from 1913 to 1931  who establishes a coffee plantation in Africa. Her life is complicated by a husband of convenience (Bror Blixen), a true love (Denys Finch Hatten), troubles on the plantation, schooling of the natives, WW1, and catching VD from her husband.

Grand sweeping storyline, unforgettable characters, pitch perfect acting, wonderful cinematography and incredible score.  First 3 hour film I saw that I did not notice the passage of time.  It sucks you into the life of this amazing woman whose life is played out against such a larger than life background.  Redford is the perfect romantic hero as the Great White Hunter of a bygone era and Streep is mesmerizing as always.

My favorite line; delivered midway through the film after the Blixens have been seperated for several years, Karen has recovered from Sphyllis and returned to Africa after being sent home to Denmark 18 months before to recover and has begun her love affair with Denys...

Baron Bror Blixen: (Klaus Maria Brandauer) You could have asked, Denys.
Denys: (Robert Redford) I did. She said yes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:03:40 am by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:47:48 am »
Thanks Vic..

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 10:17:21 am »
LOL what are you doing watching Out of Africa Chris? Not that it isn't a good movie, because it is, just not the movie I expected you to ask us about  ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 10:34:40 am »
LOL what are you doing watching Out of Africa Chris? Not that it isn't a good movie, because it is, just not the movie I expected you to ask us about  ;D

It was to settle another bet at work....LOL

I guess someday we should actually work at work instead of making bets...LOL

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 10:47:34 am »
Klaus Maria Brandauer stole it, in my opinion.  Whenever he was on the screen, I was riveted.  I wish he'd played Denys instead of Robert Redford, who just left me cold - I thought he had ZERO chemistry with Meryl Streep.

So now that you have really low expectations on that count, enjoy! ;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:07:59 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 02:37:26 pm »
1.  Klaus Maria.... maybe it's the germanophile in me but man oh man, I already know he's sexy.

2.  I read Out of Africa but never saw it; I thought the book kinda boring, and that's from someone who does not need explosions to stay interested.  However, now that Barb says there's a show-stealing Klaus Maria in it, I'm putting in my netflix queue right away.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 02:37:57 pm »
P.S. I thought this thread was going to be about Brangelina.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 02:41:45 pm »
P.S. I thought this thread was going to be about Brangelina.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: