Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41812 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My THE SIXTH SENSE Review
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2006, 09:02:52 pm »
Chris. do you have another movie for us or have you reached the end of your list?

If you do, fire away.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2006, 11:01:27 pm »
Can I suggest a movie to discuss? 

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2006, 11:07:39 pm »
Can I suggest a movie to discuss? 

Of course...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2006, 11:11:21 pm »
Anybody else like MOULIN ROUGE?  I saw that one 'a few times' also in the theatres...  Discuss..

moremojo

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2006, 11:16:27 pm »
Anybody else like MOULIN ROUGE?  I saw that one 'a few times' also in the theatres...  Discuss..
Hi, Eric--

Don't have a lot of time right now, but I wanted to chime in here and say that, yes, I enjoyed Moulin Rouge!, having seen it in the theater when it came out, with my sister (who also liked it). All the performers had quite winning singing voices, and Ewan McGregor has a most winning smile! The movie's carnivalesque atmosphere reminded me of the films of Ken Russell, and the central conceit of interpolating late-twentieth century pop songs into a turn-of-the-century milieu was both clever and effective.

For now, gotta run...

Scott
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 10:24:59 am by moremojo »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2006, 11:42:01 pm »
I had second hand embarrasment for the first 20 minutes or so of Moulin Rouge... but other than that I loved it.  Ewan McGregor is so perfect in it, I can almost forgive him for beating Jake to the part  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2006, 03:47:09 am »
I had second hand embarrasment for the first 20 minutes or so of Moulin Rouge... but other than that I loved it.  Ewan McGregor is so perfect in it, I can almost forgive him for beating Jake to the part  ::)

You had a second hand embarrassment? What do you mean? What happened?

I haven't seen this movie yet!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2006, 09:41:35 am »
LOL oh sorry, that's a little joke between some friends and I, sometimes I forget people don't know the lingo I make up in my head.... I get embarrassed for other people really easy, and if I see someone doing something silly I usually get embarrassed as if I'm the one doing the silly thing... don't ask why, I have no clue.  So, sometimes when embarrassing things happen in movies I feel that way, then I get to feeling embarrassed for the actors and director.... and the first 20 minutes of that movie are full of embarrassing moments (story wise and filmmaking wise, IMO)... That may not make any sense at all...

I swear, the rest of the movie is gold though, it's one of my favorites, I even enjoy the first 20 minutes or so despite my embarrassment...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2006, 12:07:35 pm »
The first 20 minutes goes at a really rapid pace.

I suspect Baz Lurman did this intentionally to weave out anybody who may not like the film in the end.  In other words, if you survive the first 20 minutes, you're going to love the rest of the movie. 

Those who came to the theatre in June 2001 just because of that Christina Aguilara (sp?) video were probably really bored and left the theatre during the first 20 minutes, which was good for those who remained...

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Mystic River
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2006, 04:20:24 pm »
Ok next:  Mystic River...Clint Eastwood film.  Won Oscars for Tim Robbins and Sean Penn...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:54:24 pm by The CHRIS »