Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41770 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York & Secretary
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »
Ok another double feature....

Secretary....doe eyed Maggie Gyllenhaal...James Spader....I believe Maggie got a nomination for this...any good?

Any good? Chris, seriously, this is one of my all time favorite movies! you have to see it, I can't believe you haven't.  Maggie Gyllenhaal is perfect, and James Spader is weird as usual but that's why I love him.  It is a very good, sweet, funny, sad, strange alternative love story.  i can't say enough about it.  And it has a very beautiful ending.  Watch it!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2006, 08:32:34 pm »
I loved Secretary.  But I found Gangs of New York unwatchable.  I turned it off after 15 minutes, and that was when it was first out on DVD.  And I usually really dig Scorsese movies.

Can I please add Daniel Day-Lewis to my list of most over-rated actors?  The only thing I've ever found him good in was In the Name of the Father.  Other than that, he always comes off in that same smarmy-ass way of his.  And he's right up there with Sean Penn in the over-emoting department.  I actually quite like Leo, but Danny Boy I just cannot stand.
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2006, 08:41:36 pm »

Any good? Chris, seriously, this is one of my all time favorite movies! you have to see it, I can't believe you haven't.  Maggie Gyllenhaal is perfect, and James Spader is weird as usual but that's why I love him.  It is a very good, sweet, funny, sad, strange alternative love story.  i can't say enough about it.  And it has a very beautiful ending.  Watch it!

ditto what my sweet Mandy said  :D Excellent film and I love Maggie and James together in it they click...good chemistry, good quirky story.

and Gangs of New York, I can't stand Leo or Cameron Diaz so that colored my experience of the film but Daniel Day Lewis's performance was worth the price of admission

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2006, 10:05:45 pm »
Daniel Day Lewis's performance was worth the price of admission

Could not agree more! I loved Daniel Day Lewis in this, and hadn't been a big fan of his until I saw it.  I also am not a big fan of Cameron Diaz, but I do think that Leo was alright in this, not great, but not terrible.  He keeps growing on me as an actor though, I liked him in Catch me if you Can and The Aviator...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2006, 11:15:42 pm »
Cool...I'll check em both out! 

Ok next is Monster...Charlize Theron in what is supposed to be one of the most incredible performances in cinematic history (Roger Ebert)...

Offline littleguitar

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Monster
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:37 pm »
it's been a while... but I remember it being alright.  I wasn't as impressed as most people.  I have to be honest, I'm not a Charlize Theron fan, I think she's a fairly overrated actress.  Don't get me wrong, she was good in Monster, but I've seen better.

vkm91941

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2006, 11:40:38 pm »
Cool...I'll check em both out! 

Ok next is Monster...Charlize Theron in what is supposed to be one of the most incredible performances in cinematic history (Roger Ebert)...

It's OK, in this case I think most critic's (R.E.) included were mesmerised by the transformation  wrought by the make-up department and confused it for great acting.  She's good and she's believable but she didn't make me forget even for a second that she was really Charlise Theron

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Monster & Cast Away
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2006, 12:00:29 am »
This is another one that I'm ashamed to say I never saw...it being such a huge hit and me being a HUGE Tom Hanks fan...plus I love Robert Zemeckis too...is Cast Away worth the $233 million it made?

vkm91941

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2006, 12:06:55 am »
This is another one that I'm ashamed to say I never saw...it being such a huge hit and me being a HUGE Tom Hanks fan...plus I love Robert Zemeckis too...is Cast Away worth the $233 million it made?

I liked it.  Thought it was excellent.  Tom Hanks at his best.  Only role I liked him in more was Road to Perdition.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2006, 12:10:53 am »
 :) Castaway was pretty much a one man show and Tom Hanks really went the distance for it losing a lot of weight to make himself look almost emaciated - the ending was kinda strange though - all in all a pretty good movie, I think.....................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist