Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41751 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Monster & Cast Away
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2006, 01:17:18 am »
'Cast Away' was very sad.  Especially the end.

I remember watching the trailer, and people - me included - were like "Oh, deserted island, guy is stranded, a castaway..."

But when I actually went to see the movie and the title came up, it read "Cast....Away." and literally, the audience, as one, went 'Ohhhhh..."

That changed the entire mood and meaning of the movie.

I liked 'Gangs of New York'.  Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.  Leo IMO is overrated in anything he's ever come out in, except maybe 'Gilbert Grape'.  Cameron Diaz was useless in this movie.  Her part had absolutely no impact on the characters or plotline.  The movie easily could have been made without her or instead with some no-name extra being the warm body/eye candy.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York & Secretary
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2006, 09:33:25 am »
It's OK, in this case I think most critic's (R.E.) included were mesmerised by the transformation  wrought by the make-up department and confused it for great acting.  She's good and she's believable but she didn't make me forget even for a second that she was really Charlise Theron

Could not agree more...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York & Secretary
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2006, 09:50:48 am »
Cool...I'll check em both out! 

Ok next is Monster...Charlize Theron in what is supposed to be one of the most incredible performances in cinematic history (Roger Ebert)...

Monster was good, but what I was more interested in was the woman the story is about, Aileen Wuornos, who, apparently in real life, really was a monster. "Monster" (the movie) takes a few liberties with her life (there is a rape scene near the beginning which supposedly did not occur). There are two documentaries made about Wuornos which I have not seen, but would like to. The first one, if I recall correctly, covers the time of her trial and early incarceration. The second one is the last year of her life, before she was executed. The woman was mentally ill her entire life, but they say in the second documentary, to watch the transformation as she becomes stark, raving, mad is truly incredible.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: The Ice Storm
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2006, 08:39:13 pm »
Ok next:  Our very own Ang Lee's The Ice Storm...supposedly very overlooked critically and commercially...good?

vkm91941

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2006, 12:56:20 am »
The Ice Storm...Hmmmm excellent....Beware, this is one that will stay with you for a long time... This film IS pressure, temptation, collapse carefully dragging the viewer where you know you don't wanna go, but secretly can't help needing to find out the truth from the Truthteller, and you know you're gonna get the real magillah. Ugly, icky, and at times disturbingly stimulating.  A+   The film was just brilliant. It really nearly broke my heart. Every performance is perfect. The direction by Ang Lee is deliberate and painful as he slices into you with the lives of those he makes you watch

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2006, 12:57:20 am »
The Ice Storm...Hmmmm excellent....Beware, this is one that will stay with you for a long time... This film IS pressure, temptation, collapse carefully dragging the viewer where you know you don't wanna go, but secretly can't help needing to find out the truth from the Truthteller, and you know you're gonna get the real magillah. Ugly, icky, and at times disturbingly stimulating.  A+   The film was just brilliant. It really nearly broke my heart. Every performance is perfect. The direction by Ang Lee is deliberate and painful as he slices into you with the lives of those he makes you watch

And you aren't just sayin that becuase of a possible Ang bias that you may have?  LOL

vkm91941

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2006, 12:58:43 am »
And you aren't just sayin that becuase of a possible Ang bias that you may have?  LOL

Shhhhhhshhhh don't tell anyone!  lol  :laugh:  lol.. Um but seriouslyI saw this one before I knew who Ang Lee was and I was VERY impressed.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2006, 12:54:21 am »
Ok so I watched Mystic River and LOVED it!  Tim Robbins and Marcia Gay Harden definitely stood out the most to me.  I've never been impressed with Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon was Kevin Bacon.  The end was pretty incredible.  Didn't see it coming at all.  Eastwood's second best (after Million Dollar Baby) IMO!  And it also helped prove my previous opinion that Clint Eastwood is a much better director then he is actor...again IMO!  Don't get me wrong...he can act...but I think he is more talented behind the camera then in front...

mvansand76

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2006, 06:54:00 am »
Ok so I watched Mystic River and LOVED it!  Tim Robbins and Marcia Gay Harden definitely stood out the most to me.  I've never been impressed with Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon was Kevin Bacon.  The end was pretty incredible.  Didn't see it coming at all.  Eastwood's second best (after Million Dollar Baby) IMO!  And it also helped prove my previous opinion that Clint Eastwood is a much better director then he is actor...again IMO!  Don't get me wrong...he can act...but I think he is more talented behind the camera then in front...

OMG, this movie is in my top ten of all-time favorites! So tragic, so intense, to have three of the best actors in ONE movie is almost too much to bear!