Author Topic: My thread about random observations from CT  (Read 4963 times)

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
My thread about random observations from CT
« on: March 31, 2006, 03:18:23 am »
So this is the long post Leslie mentioned that got deleted from CT. I'm going to post it how it was, even though the beginning is a lie (I gave in and went to #17 tonight because it is leaving my area. Sniff). Now stop being so lovable, I have to go to bed! I have a test tomorrow! OK, here's the post:

Well, for one thing, if anyone remembers my little panic at not being able to find a roommate for next year, that's all taken care of. I'll be living with one of my favorite people here at school. (Sorry Elle, maybe next year!)

So I went for #16 last night, most likely my last one in the theatre. Something interesting, there are two (separate) men who I know I've seen at that same theatre on more than one other viewing. All three of us always sit in the same places. Anyway, there are some things I never got around to mentioning, so here I go.

The tempo of the music stays the same going from "It's So Easy" (after Ennis is done dancing with Cassie) to "An Angel Went Up in Flames" (the benefit where we see LaShawn). For those of you non-musician types, that means that if you tap your foot to the beat during "It's So Easy" and keep tapping through the end of that scene, you will still be on the beat for the next scene.

There are three times when Jack goes from looking quite happy and/or peaceful to um, NOT happy/peaceful in a very short period of time, each of which I find very effective. Of course I'm talking about dancing with Lureen, the post-divorce scene, and the flashback scene.

One time when I saw it in a terrible theatre, the picture was not lined up with the screen right, so we saw way more of the bottom of the picture than we were supposed to, and not enough of the top (we're talking heads frequently being cut off). I noticed that in the motel, Ennis has his left arm on Jack's arm. Being able to see more of the bottom, Ennis's wedding ring was VERY noticeable. It also looked like when he was saying he was stuck with what he has, he looked down at the ring. Poor Ennis.

After Jack says "I complain too much, that teacher don't like me," Lureen says "right." Just thought I'd point that out, because I didn't hear it the first 8 or 10 times.

Someone (John? PhilaJeffia?) has said that Jake (not Jack) is left-handed, and I agree that it looks like it. He holds on while bull-riding and does a lot of gestures with his left hand. I also noticed that he wears his watch on his left hand. I like to think that he's just a big weirdo like me who wears a watch on the dominant hand (I have since I was about 9, can't change now).

In Ennis's trailer at the end, when he walks you can hear his feet scuffling. Again, poor Ennis. Doesn't even bother picking his feet up anymore. I just want to give him a hug.

OK, sorry that was so long. Those were just things I've been wanting to post but never got around to doing. Hope it doesn't get deleted!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: My thread about random observations from CT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 07:07:39 am »
And my reply to that long post was that when watching the motel scene on the DVD (yes, I have one of those infamous DVDs from New York City), you can see Ennis's wedding ring and you can also see Jack's, briefly, at one point when he holds his hand up and shifts is cigarette. Also watch the cigarette smoke come out of Jack...first his nose, then his mouth when he is talking. I am not a smoker and totally opposed, but this smoke is very sexy.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 11:02:43 am »
I never noticed Ennis glancing at his wedding ring during that part in the motel scene!   Yippee, something else to look for next time!  Thanks!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 07:54:46 pm »
That's interesting that you can see Ennis's ring on your DVD Leslie. I have never been able to see it except for that one time with the bad projection. Did it seem like any of the top was cut off? I wonder if it will be like that in the April 4th DVD...

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 08:20:36 pm »
Ha! I would like to see it in a terrible theatre too, just to see the look of Ennis at his ring in the Motel scene. But also to see Jack and Ennis holding hands in the first tent scene... I've never seen it (most of the time the screen was too dark - I think), but people mention it again and again.

About Jake being left handed.. hmm.. not sure. Isn't there a picture somewhere of him at the Oscars (or was it the Sags?) where he gives autographs and I think it looks like he's right-handed. But I could be wrong.

Some of my random observations - twice in the film we see a furious and fuming Ennis storming past his daughters (the "You girls need a push?" (or something similar) and the scene at Thanksgiving). I'm always nervous and very suprised by the girls remaining so calm. Ennis, in these moments, scares the sh** out of me.. and Alma Jr and Jenny seem not worried at all! When Ennis storms out of Monroe's house (after the "Jack Nasty" scene) the girls follow him to say good bye. Each time I feel anxious about them accidentally getting hit by a livid Ennis..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 03:19:27 am »
Another random thing: Andrew, I was at "our theatre" for #16 and when I was walking out I saw a guy from a distance sitting outside who totally looked like you! I was all excited and started to walk over....and then it wasn't you, and I was sad. How's your move going?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 03:41:33 pm »
OK, here is something totally random. I just saw BBM for the last time on the big screen (unless it comes back this summer) and the 1st thing I noticed is that on the Focus FEatures title slide there are a lot of circles, some sharp and some blurry, and the colors of them are blue and brownish-orange! Made me think of Ennis and Jack. Has everybody else noticed that already?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:58:59 am »
Now that we've all seen this on DVD, there should be some more random observations. Right?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 12:54:33 pm »
You clearly see the arm and wedding ring in the motel scene on the FULL SCREEN DVD.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 01:38:16 pm »
You clearly see the arm and wedding ring in the motel scene on the FULL SCREEN DVD.

That settles it. I need to find the full-screen version to complement the wide-screen version I already have.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.