Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 318938 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2023, 11:54:06 am »
I thought in New Orleans it started getting hot in January and cooled down in December. ...

Haha! No, the winters are very nice, but as short as Minneapolis summers.

Speaking of which, the longtime New York Times book critic Michiko Kakutani, reviewing Lab Girl, which is partly set in Minnesota, once wrote "Ms. Jahren?s own childhood in a small Minnesota town, where there was snow on the ground nine months of the year and where most residents worked for a huge slaughterhouse, was filled with silences."

Oh, c'mon! Two minutes googling (or a better editor) could have fixed that. Minneapolis often has snow by Thanksgiving and sometimes sees a snowstorm in April. So at most it's about six months of snow on the ground. (Which, don't get me wrong, is about five and a half months too long.) And Austin, home of Hormel Meats, is farther south, so even less there.

Also, "filled with silences"? That's at best a poetic exaggeration. Though it may echo something in Lab Girl, which I read some years ago.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2023, 04:51:01 pm »
Maybe that's why it's boring. Nothing exciting about normalcy.  8)

Excuse you?

Nothing boring here, I assure you!!  8)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2023, 04:54:39 pm »
As I just wrote elsewhere, tomorrow is Midsummer Day (or Sainte-Jean-Baptiste Day).

I can never remember whether we're supposed to light a bonfire tonight (the eve of the day) or tomorrow night.  :(

We dance around a midsummer pole today

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2023, 05:01:36 pm »
You call us boring, Jeff?

This is how much fun we have on midsummer!

;D ;D ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2023, 05:54:29 pm »

But also ...  :o

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2023, 09:42:16 pm »
We dance around a midsummer pole today

You realize, of course, that a pole like that, like a May pole also, is an ancient phallic symbol?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2023, 11:54:40 am »
As I just wrote elsewhere, tomorrow is Midsummer Day (or Sainte-Jean-Baptiste Day).

I can never remember whether we're supposed to light a bonfire tonight (the eve of the day) or tomorrow night.  :(

Found this on Google.

Bonfires are lit on Midsummer's Eve to ward off witches and evil spirits and warm up late-night revelers. Build your own (even a small campfire will do) as a way to keep bad luck at bay.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2023, 12:36:29 pm »
You realize, of course, that a pole like that, like a May pole also, is an ancient phallic symbol?

I'd never thought about it, but makes sense. Sexual activities seem common in ancient pagan traditional celebrations, or at least that's how legend has it.

In New Orleans for Mardi Gras, they crown "Rex," or King of Carnival, usually a local middle-aged aristocratic businessman, and pick a debutante as Queen. I used to joke that just before midnight on Mardi Gras the royal couple had to have sex on Bourbon Street to ensure a good tourist season.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2023, 02:31:59 pm »
I'd never thought about it, but makes sense. Sexual activities seem common in ancient pagan traditional celebrations, or at least that's how legend has it.

In New Orleans for Mardi Gras, they crown "Rex," or King of Carnival, usually a local middle-aged aristocratic businessman, and pick a debutante as Queen. I used to joke that just before midnight on Mardi Gras the royal couple had to have sex on Bourbon Street to ensure a good tourist season.

At Beltane people had sex in the fields to ensure good crops, so why not have sex to ensure a good tourist season?  ;D

I believe I've told this story. A gay Wiccan once explained to me about having sex to ensure good crops. I thought a moment, and then I said to him, "So two gay men having sex are going to ensure good crops." (I made a statement; I didn't ask a question.)

He thought a moment, and then he said to me, "You know, you just might have something there."

:laugh:

(As if gay men need an excuse to have sex. ... I suppose it's the same for straight people, too.  ??? )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.