Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 315536 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:21 am »
Sounds like everyone had a rather "wet" summer solstice! And that's a good thing...very Brokieish! Or Brokesque...or Brokistic... whatever!

I also drew a Tarot card for the occasion, and it was the King of Cups! Very appropriate!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »
This candle that I lit at the summer solstice is the same one I lit at the standing stones of Callanish one year ago. I went to each stone in turn and touched it, and stopped when I encountered one that seemed warm to the touch and "spoke" to me.

The lighter was given to me by the chef at Gallan Head, a small restaurant where we ate before going to the stones. They served excellent seafood, which you might expect for a place in the outer Hebrides group of islands far to the north and west in the Atlantic!! I'm so grateful that British Airways did not seem to mind me bringing it on the plane to home!  

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 09:03:29 am »
Today is the Summer Solstice, "the longest day of the year." From now on, inexorably, the days will begin to grow shorter.

Anyone going to dance naked around a bonfire tonight?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:52 am »
Probably not. There's a fire ban here.

It's cloudy and gloomy, but that's all right as long as it's sunny before and after.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:27 am »
I´m gonna visit the University of Wyoming Art Museum to participate in their annual summer solstice celebration

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:38 am »
I´m gonna visit the University of Wyoming Art Museum to participate in their annual summer solstice celebration

Cool! O0

Me: as always, trying to ignore it. ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »
Sonic's milkshakes are half price all day in honor of the Solstice.  It's just a matter of deciding on what flavor.   ;D

Today is the Summer Solstice, "the longest day of the year." From now on, inexorably, the days will begin to grow shorter.

I know what the science is; but it's always seemed so odd to me that after the first day of summer days start getting shorter and after the first day of winter they start getting shorter.  "Tent don't look right....."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »
Sonic's milkshakes are half price all day in honor of the Solstice.  It's just a matter of deciding on what flavor.   ;D

Dang. I haven't had a milkshake since I-can't-remember-when.  :(

I'd go for strawberry. Do they have strawberry?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 04:29:09 pm »
It is winter solstice here so no dancing naked. 3'C outside at 8.30am.  We will have a parade in town on Saturday night with lanterns that children have made over the last few weeks. This year the theme is "A Frosty Night conjures memories of starry winter evenings, frost, icicles and a moment in time when the world seems to hold its breath." 
I was a bit disconcerted when I went to a concert last Saturday night and had to clean a thin sheet of ice off the windscreen when I came out to go home.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »
The summer solstice is this weekend.  8)