Author Topic: Is there such a thing as overwatching?  (Read 27348 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Is there such a thing as overwatching?
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
I don't own the DVD of BBM. For several reasons, the main one being, I'm afraid I'd watch it constantly and get desensitized to it. I went two months after it left theaters without seeing it. Then when I finally rented it, it was soooo great. Not to sound too sappy, but it felt like coming home again after a long absense -- like I was with old beloved friends, like I was where I was supposed to be. I stayed breathlessly glued to the screen, rewinding here and there, riveted. (I'll confess, though, that in the interim I had watched certain scenes so many times on YouTube I'm surprised that some videos -- 4 Nights in 20 years, especially -- didn't get worn out.)

I watched the movie about five or six more times over the next few weeks. By the end I was getting ... not sick of it -- oh my god, never! -- but maybe slightly less attentive than I had been, not quite as absorbed, wanting to FF through certain parts (ie, the wife parts). (Though that's when I started really zeroing in on some of those almost indiscernible little details, so there were benefits to that approach, too.)

Don't get me wrong, I still find it thrilling, stunning, breathtaking -- in some ways even more so as time goes on. But I want to preserve that reaction and, for me, it seems best to keep my doses regulated. I'm not great at self-discipline, and Blockbuster imposes its own discipline. (Besides, I'm waiting for that Deluxe Edition that includes footage of all the rest of the time Jack and Ennis spent together over 20 years!  :-*)

But I have seen several posters just in the past few days mention that they watch the DVD every day, and I know there are others who do the same, or have done the same in the past.

So how do you all feel about this? How often do you want/need/crave to watch it? Do you impose restrictions on yourself? And if you're one of those frequent-flyer watchers, how do you keep the magic going? Do you ever feel yourself becoming desensitized? If so, what do you do about it?

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Is there such a thing as overwatching?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:30 pm »
You shut up about overwatching.  This here ain't it's fault.  :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:01:31 pm »
I think I got desensitized to a degree before it even left the theaters, where I saw it 11 times.  Although I adore being moved to tears in a movie, I tend to get analytical after the first rush.  After that, it depends a lot on my mood whether I am caught up again in that same emotion while watching it. (Liquor helps!  ;))

At home, I watch in spurts, often to clarify points I'm posting about.  But I enjoy lying back and being with Jack and Ennis, whatever stage of the story they are in.  I hope someday, maybe years from now, when I haven't watched it for a long while, that that wonderful heart-rush will return and I will have a grand old cry again.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:02:06 pm »
I'm a bit like you in that I practice restraint.  While I do have the DVD, I try to use it sparingly and to maximum effect.

When I first got the DVD I made the executive decision to only watch it with someone else, thinking this'd do two things.  1) limit my own viewings, and 2) spread the word.  All good in theory, but in practice I've watched it alone a few times.  From now on though, I'm going to resist the cravings - the thought of it becoming tedious terrifies me!  Also, I kinda like the anticipation that restraint brings.  That has it's own deliciousness  :P.

So, upshot is - I'd average at roughly once a fortnight currently.  Reducing to monthly from here on in, and will try to space it out further as the months roll on.  Like the previous poster, I'm half looking forward to the day I realise I haven't seen it in a year, and  have it just like the first time all over again - that's if I ever make it to a year  :o ;D.

W

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24:44 am »
That was great- made me laugh  ;D

Sometimes I watch it and say- okay I'm going to focus on symbolism and all that, but I just end up being a mess again. And sometimes it's the other way around. But I'll have to tell you- sometimes I feel so emotionally drained that I just can't watch it for awhile; and I have to process things in my head. But after a couple weeks of not watching- I'll go back to it again. Just like Jack always goes back to Ennis...even though he knows he's going to end up crying again *sigh*
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:03:59 am »

*responds with Jacklike glower*  >:(

I sure don't blame IT! I want to protect IT from predator loss.  :-\

Then again, I guess that's what Ennis said, and look what happened ...  :'(
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 03:14:37 am by latjoreme »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:03:11 am »
For me personally, I think there could be such a thing as overwatching if I would see it every day or three times a week.

So far, I've seen it 8 or 9 times completely and 2 or 3 times the first part (one time I stopped when they got down the mountain, the other time at the divorce-scene in the court room, couldn't bear to see the post-divorce scene).
Since I know BBM for three months now, it makes an averarge of less than once a week.

I never FF any scenes and I can't bring myself to put in the DVD just to check one or two scenes for details. I think this would wear it out to me. If I want to check certain details, I search screencaps on my PC.

I'm still totally blown away with every viewing and I want it to stay like this.

Sometimes I watch it and say- okay I'm going to focus on symbolism and all that, but I just end up being a mess again

Replace "sometimes" with "every time" and that's me  :)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 10:38:31 am »
Okay guys ... I am beyond crazy. I have literally watched this film at least once a day since it came out on DVD. I am still not tired of it. I keep trying to quit my addiction ... it's not working. Someone asked me today to try to go one day without watching it. I nearly hyperventilated! I'm pathetic, I know.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 11:01:34 am »
I'm pathetic, I know.

No more so than the rest of us. Our viewing habits may vary, but we are all more or less equally obsessed.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 11:46:39 am »
I am something of a novelty as I haven't watched the film part yet of the DVD *gasp*  I am one of those people that has to have the right circumstances & one of those is to be alone in the house as I have decided at least for my first couple of viewings.  This is rare, so also gives me a good excuse to put it off! But when it did occur a while back I had it all planned out but then got into the extra features & had enough of a reaction from those I just couldn't face the film.  On one hand I have wanted to watch it lots & been curious to check out the symbolism etc but on the other I have been fearful of another episode of post-viewing trauma.  Y'all seem to have survived & now my desire to see it & curiosity is outweighing the trepidation so it will be soon!

In fact, it may be this w/e. Of course I have made a big thing of it now so am anticipating all kinds of angsty reactions & will need to ensure I have plenty of red wine & chocs available!  I also have my loooooong mental list of things to look out for but have not yet decided whether to watch straight through or stop & pause.  Probably would have to be the former or I would be for days on end.  I would love to have the support of a fellow Brokie to watch with but alas I don't see that happening so I'll rely on the red wine & chocs instead!  I might come running on here for cyber support afterwards though!
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over