Author Topic: Is there such a thing as overwatching?  (Read 26993 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Is there such a thing as overwatching?
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2006, 01:31:22 am »
Feelings of being in love so powerful that I shiver!

Littlewing -

I am always so happy when I see  this movie affected straight people as much as it affected many gay people! :)

Thank you for posting this.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2006, 07:13:49 pm »
I think just about all of us can relate to Brokeback Mountain, sometimes painfully. I think that is what makes this movie so remarkable. It invokes happy, sad, scary, poignant and even desperate feelings in people... at least it does with me. :)

I AGREE!! There are some scenes that are so painfully palpable, I can hardly watch. I think that is why I love this film! There is so much truth. It shows these two characters in close up (so close at times that I feel like a fly on the wall).  I've heard it described as a "gut punch". I couldn't agree with that analogy more!

Interestingly, I bought the CD .... I wanted to have something to curb the cravings while I was at work on in the car  ::) ... Anyway, I was shocked at how the music alone was so powerful. I saw all of the scenes in my head. And then I listened to the lyrics. WOW! I started crying. I couldn't help it ... especially the song, "A Love That Never Grows Old". That is the song that is playing when Jack leaves Ennis after driving 14 hours because he thinks he is going to, finally, have the life with the man he loves. How completely devastating!!!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2006, 07:56:18 pm »
I AGREE!! There are some scenes that are so painfully palpable, I can hardly watch. I think that is why I love this film! There is so much truth. It shows these two characters in close up (so close at times that I feel like a fly on the wall).  I've heard it described as a "gut punch". I couldn't agree with that analogy more!

Interestingly, I bought the CD .... I wanted to have something to curb the cravings while I was at work on in the car  ::) ... Anyway, I was shocked at how the music alone was so powerful. I saw all of the scenes in my head. And then I listened to the lyrics. WOW! I started crying. I couldn't help it ... especially the song, "A Love That Never Grows Old". That is the song that is playing when Jack leaves Ennis after driving 14 hours because he thinks he is going to, finally, have the life with the man he loves. How completely devastating!!!

I have also heard people describe Brokeback Mountain as getting punched or hit. But it felt more like a slap across the face to me. I could easily identify with both Jack and Ennis. I have been both of them at various points of my life. I have been in relationships where I felt like I was left standing in the dust as the other person drove off into the sunset. And I have avoided relationships due to fear or inconvenience only to find out later I was the one who lost out because of my insecurities.

But then, had all these experiences NOT happened, I would not be where I am today; with a very cute and lovable man named Cory who snores loudly, is a terrible cook, breaks things all the time, messes up a room faster than a Tasmanian Devil, and who completely melts my heart every time I look at him. And his eyes light up every time he looks at me.

I guess this is the message of Brokeback Mountain. Being gay is not an easy life. It is hard, confusing, scary, full of disappointments, and yes, even lonliness sometimes. But the road of life is long with many twists and turns along the way, and we never really know what waits for us just over the next bend. And this isn't even really a gay experience. It is a human experience.

Brokeback Mountain is a movie for everyone. :)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2006, 10:07:52 pm »
I have also heard people describe Brokeback Mountain as getting punched or hit. But it felt more like a slap across the face to me. I could easily identify with both Jack and Ennis. I have been both of them at various points of my life. I have been in relationships where I felt like I was left standing in the dust as the other person drove off into the sunset. And I have avoided relationships due to fear or inconvenience only to find out later I was the one who lost out because of my insecurities.

But then, had all these experiences NOT happened, I would not be where I am today; with a very cute and lovable man named Cory who snores loudly, is a terrible cook, breaks things all the time, messes up a room faster than a Tasmanian Devil, and who completely melts my heart every time I look at him. And his eyes light up every time he looks at me.

I guess this is the message of Brokeback Mountain. Being gay is not an easy life. It is hard, confusing, scary, full of disappointments, and yes, even lonliness sometimes. But the road of life is long with many twists and turns along the way, and we never really know what waits for us just over the next bend. And this isn't even really a gay experience. It is a human experience.

Brokeback Mountain is a movie for everyone. :)

It's interesting that you say you can identify with Jack and Ennis. I didn't think this way until I read your note. Honestly, I thought it was Jack that I completely identified with. ;D And, yes, that is very true. To love someone you cannot be physically close to (i.e. proximity) and to have a hidden life is unbearable and at times demeaning. But interestingly, when you talked about avoiding relationships, I realized that I did the same thing. Actually, I shouldn't use past tense .... I do the same thing. Sometimes it is so hard to let anyone in .... that fear of rejection. When someone gets too close, I push them away. There have been many times that I have disappointed the people who care about me the most.

Hmmmm ... I think I will be able to watch BBM tonight with different eyes.!

PS I do have one love of my life .... my sweetie Wire Fox Terrier, Asta. He's my little baby and he loves me know matter what!
Diane

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2006, 10:24:07 pm »
PS I do have one love of my life .... my sweetie Wire Fox Terrier, Asta. He's my little baby and he loves me know matter what!

I can't believe I didn't mention the second love of my life... my dog Cody.

Yes. A boyfriend with the name Cory and a 2 year old golden retriever with the name Cody.

Life is interesting and full of surprises! :)

mvansand76

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2006, 07:15:02 am »
David - you melt my heart the way you talk about Cory, hold on to that man! Gosh, that's exactly the way I feel about Jan-Willem, but you know that, right? And you put it in words!

I do think there is such a thing as overwatching, I have seen the first half too many times now and I can't make it through the whole movie without skipping the painful scenes: divorce, mexico, etc. Do any of u do that? I have decided that I am not going to watch it again for a month.

I felt the movie was a gut punch, I did not cry, but I did shed a few tears on the plane back to holland and i felt so hollow and sad. My mom cried at the end and she felt really weird when she stepped out of the theater, into broad daylight, she said she had never experienced anything like it be4.

Anyway, do we really WANT to quit BBM?

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2006, 10:02:31 am »
I do think there is such a thing as overwatching, I have seen the first half too many times now and I can't make it through the whole movie without skipping the painful scenes: divorce, mexico, etc. Do any of u do that? I have decided that I am not going to watch it again for a month.

I felt the movie was a gut punch, I did not cry, but I did shed a few tears on the plane back to holland and i felt so hollow and sad. My mom cried at the end and she felt really weird when she stepped out of the theater, into broad daylight, she said she had never experienced anything like it be4.

Anyway, do we really WANT to quit BBM?

I hear you! There have been times I have skipped over the really painful scenes. It is just too hard to watch. Mostly, however, I watch from start to finish (unless, of course I have a limited amount of time ... then I just skip over the parts with the women and focus completely on Jack and Ennis.

It is interesting that you say you didn’t cry … I didn’t either. I felt the film took me beyond tears. I came away from the theater feeling like I just went through 12 rounds of an intense fight. I was stunned, exhausted …

I don’t even want to quit, BBM. That is true! I am still not at the place, however, when I can’t watch the film (at least in part) less than once a day.  ::)
Diane

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2006, 11:37:06 am »

I don’t even want to quit, BBM. That is true! I am still not at the place, however, when I can’t watch the film (at least in part) less than once a day.  ::)

Yeah, but do you ever get the feelin' that the omph factor is being lessened?  Are you perhaps being de-sensitized to the heart-grabbing moments of this film?  I hope not Diane!

For me, coming away from my first viewing, the scene that made my tummy flutter was the re-union kiss.  hmmmm Yummy!  I just loved that scen, my fav!  Two days later I had the DVD, and watching it the second time was nice, I was rewarded by the much-anticipated reunion kiss, and it WAS lovely.  I have since come to love several other scenes as well for their love / passion / angst:

FNIT
SNIT
Ennis' bleeding nose, when Jack mothers him  ;D
the motel scene
sendin' up a prayer a thanks

ah hell those are just some a them .... anyway I discovered this really cool feature on the remote of my DVD player, I call it the looping button, or the "A - B" button.  It has worn grooves in parts of my DVD, (the above-mentioned scenes anyway).  :D

The down side of all this is that I have felt myself become sort of numbed to the wonderous magical feeling that I used to get, so last week, (oh, about ten days ago) I suddenly went cold turkey.  No more wathching Youtube either.

I don't know if I will ever be able to recapture the glow from the first viewings, but I DO NOT want to become immune to the love vibes in this film.  Anyway for all the people who can watch the movie over and over, I'm glad.  Good fur you!

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2006, 05:16:37 pm »
Yeah, but do you ever get the feelin' that the omph factor is being lessened?  Are you perhaps being de-sensitized to the heart-grabbing moments of this film?  I hope not Diane!

The down side of all this is that I have felt myself become sort of numbed to the wonderous magical feeling that I used to get, so last week, (oh, about ten days ago) I suddenly went cold turkey.  No more wathching Youtube either.

I don't know if I will ever be able to recapture the glow from the first viewings, but I DO NOT want to become immune to the love vibes in this film.  Anyway for all the people who can watch the movie over and over, I'm glad.  Good fur you!

Gosh … I can honestly say I have not been desensitized. It still grabs me … the love scenes still make me swoon and shiver. The painful scenes are still hard to watch because the agony is so palpable …. I feel like I am going through it myself.  Every time I see it, I hope the ending will change, but it doesn’t. You'd think I'd be getting to the point of overload ... but I am not even close.  ;)

I haven’t gotten to the point of giving up this film. You think I would by now, but I just “cain’t” … ya know wha’ I mean?? ;D
Diane

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2006, 07:24:49 pm »
David - you melt my heart the way you talk about Cory, hold on to that man! Gosh, that's exactly the way I feel about Jan-Willem, but you know that, right? And you put it in words!

Melissa, yes I know how you feel about Jan-Willem. You are very lucky to have found him. He is lucky to have you in his life too.

All four of us are fortunate. I didn't realize what I had until I watched Brokeback Mountain several times.

I found there is a lot of good advise in that movie and a few secrets too. I sure am glad I decided to listen! :)