Author Topic: Is there such a thing as overwatching?  (Read 27339 times)

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
Re: Is there such a thing as overwatching?
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2006, 09:39:19 am »
Whoa, guys...! Please, some compassion with us lonesome doves! We know what we're missing...  :-*
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2006, 10:00:56 am »
unless, of course I have a limited amount of time ... then I just skip over the parts with the women and focus completely on Jack and Ennis.

I do this, too. I would never skip the painful scenes -- especially the ones at the end. Too beautiful. Nor would I skip the happily beautiful parts that I've watched so often on YouTube that I've probably worn grooves in YouTube. Those I still find as thrilling as ever.

But I can skip huge chunks of the wife parts. And that's what bothers me, what makes me start to feel maybe I should put on the brakes. I don't want to feel anything less than breathlessly riveted by every moment.

mvansand76

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2006, 06:10:01 am »
Whoa, guys...! Please, some compassion with us lonesome doves! We know what we're missing...  :-*

I'm sorry/Het spijt me...  :-*

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2006, 09:46:31 am »
But I can skip huge chunks of the wife parts. And that's what bothers me, what makes me start to feel maybe I should put on the brakes. I don't want to feel anything less than breathlessly riveted by every moment.

Now that I can do that  .... I like to see the scenes where the guys are together.   ;D

It took me awhile to always watch the painful scenes ... especially Jack’s 14 hour trip after Ennis’ divorce. That  one always rips my heart out (as do many others). It has gotten to the point, however, that I can’t skip anything. Once I start watching, I want to see the whole thing. I have been very sleep deprived because of it. Oh well! IMO, it’s worth it!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2006, 11:38:10 pm »

Stevenedel -

I'm sorry!

But I am an EXCELLENT matchmaker! I'm not quite sure what I can do since we live on opposite sides of the Atlantic, but I sure will try!

Anything for a fellow Dutchman! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2006, 11:48:19 pm »
Littlewing -

I am always so happy when I see  this movie affected straight people as much as it affected many gay people! :)

Thank you for posting this.

You bet, David.  The love I witnessed between Jack and Ennis just seems so right!  It seems natural, authentic!

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2006, 05:46:52 pm »
Stevenedel -

I'm sorry!

But I am an EXCELLENT matchmaker! I'm not quite sure what I can do since we live on opposite sides of the Atlantic, but I sure will try!

Anything for a fellow Dutchman! :)

David, I really appreciate that! I look forward to receiving your first transatlantic shipment... ;) I do have a VERY small front garden, so please no more than 12 candidates at a time.

It's a comfort to know, too, that despite the state this country is in of late, some Dutch still stick together...
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2006, 06:12:27 pm »
I think I got to the point where I needed to slow down.  I was watching the movie EVERYDAY and like some of you mentioned, I realized that I wasn't always paying attention to what was going on later in my viewings.  This isn't to say I still don't watch it multiple times in a week though!!  :)

No matter how many times I was watching it thought it always made me cry ... a lot!  And it still does and now that I'm spreading out my viewing times a little better I think I'm catching a lot more of the smaller details.  I'm noticing paintings on the wall and who's petting the dogs etc.  Each time I watch the movie its like opening a christmas present.  I'm so excited to see what's inside.  If I make myself wait a little longer in between viewings the present gets a little bigger  :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2006, 08:03:25 pm »
I think I got to the point where I needed to slow down.  I was watching the movie EVERYDAY and like some of you mentioned, I realized that I wasn't always paying attention to what was going on later in my viewings.  This isn't to say I still don't watch it multiple times in a week though!!  :)

No matter how many times I was watching it thought it always made me cry ... a lot!  And it still does and now that I'm spreading out my viewing times a little better I think I'm catching a lot more of the smaller details.  I'm noticing paintings on the wall and who's petting the dogs etc.  Each time I watch the movie its like opening a christmas present.  I'm so excited to see what's inside.  If I make myself wait a little longer in between viewings the present gets a little bigger  :)

I still haven't gotten to the place where I can skip one day. I feel so compelled to watch it! I almost go into withdrawals if I even consider skipping one day. I have also gotten the CD and today I listened to it all day long while at work (literally over and over). There are two songs on there that are killer … lyrics by Bernie Taupin (wrote with Elton John for years) …  “A Love That Will Never Grow Old” and “I Don’t Want to Say Goodbye”.  You can tell those songs were written for BBM! LOVE THEM!!! Listen to the words … it adds so much to the BBM experience (IMO).
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2006, 11:11:47 pm »
I still haven't gotten to the place where I can skip one day. I feel so compelled to watch it! I almost go into withdrawals if I even consider skipping one day. I have also gotten the CD and today I listened to it all day long while at work (literally over and over). There are two songs on there that are killer … lyrics by Bernie Taupin (wrote with Elton John for years) …  “A Love That Will Never Grow Old” and “I Don’t Want to Say Goodbye”.  You can tell those songs were written for BBM! LOVE THEM!!! Listen to the words … it adds so much to the BBM experience (IMO).

Wow, Diane!  I envy your many viewings.  I wanted to put it on an hour ago but was overruled!  ???  I'm lucky to see my beloved brokeback  once a month.  I agree with you about the soundtrack.  I particularly love "The maker makes!"