Author Topic: Alma Jr.'s Sweater vs. The Shirts  (Read 5732 times)

Offline moviegoer

• Don't Say Much
Alma Jr.'s Sweater vs. The Shirts
« on: June 22, 2006, 10:01:30 pm »
I was reading a post elsewhere about Ennis and his taking of the 2 shirts while at Jack's house and someone made a comment about Alma Jr.'s sweater that Ennis puts away at the end of the movie, and with all the symbolism and viewer intended interpretation, it got me thinking.

After Ennis takes Jack's and his shirts, he enters the kitchen and both shirts are rolled up into a bundle.  But when Ennis puts Alma Jr.'s sweater away, he carefully folds it up, kisses it, and tucks it into the closet.  What strikes me odd about this (and maybe it's just me) is how Ennis handled the shirts versus the sweater. 

These 2 shirts represented an unexpected and [almost] unconditional love betwen Ennis & Jack for 2 decades.  They were so important to Jack, he hid them in his closet for 20 years and never spoke a word about them.  They were so important to Ennis that he decides to take them, almost sneaking them out of Jack's house, and subsequently hang them up in his closet to remind him of how much Jack meant to him.  So, why take such precision and care in folding Alma Jr.'s sweater but roll up the shirts, that are obviously symbolic of so much love between Ennis & Jack, and treat them as if they are simply shirts?

Or maybe I'm just making too much of this???
Blanche: "I don't really mind Clayton being homosexual.  I don't just don't like him dating men!  Surely there are homosexuals who date women?"
Sophia: "Yeah.  They're called lesbians!"

moremojo

Re: Alma Jr.'s Sweater vs. The Shirts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 10:19:23 pm »
Ennis's diligent and loving devotion to his daughter is quite evident in his careful folding of her sweater before putting it up. But I never got anything less than love and devotion when seeing Ennis handle the two shirts in Jack's Lightning Flat home. Perhaps he treated them with less precision because they were his and Jack's shirts, and Jack by that point was absent in death--Ennis had no one's opinion to worry about regarding the items other than himself (once he got Mrs. Twist's tacit approval to depart with them). Alma Jr.'s sweater remains her garment, and will be retrieved by her at some future time.

But Ennis certainly conveys his love through the shirts, and treats them accordingly. Note how he subtly but perceptably draws the shirts close to him as he passes by Mr. Twist, as if to protect and shield everything they represent from that icy and contemptuous man. And that lovely, heartbreaking detail of his fastening the top snap of Jack's shirt at the end speaks volumes on the depth and endurance of his feelings for his lost beloved; one imagines him symbolically protecting Jack through this gesture, in a way that he could not while Jack walked the earth.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:21:54 pm »
There was a theory discussed on IMDB (and perhaps here as well) that Ennis and Mrs. Twist conspired to hide some of Jack's ashes in the balled-up shirts so as to smuggle them away from the Stud Duck.  I think that the theory was largely discounted by posters.  Also, there is a line in the written story that perhaps contradicts the theory ... we are told that as Ennis is driving away from the Twist house, he saw a cemetary "and didn't want to know that Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain."  But who knows... given that ambiguity is the true leading character in this tale... perhaps some ashes were stashed in the shirt and Ennis was upset that even some part of Jack's ashes were to be buried in the family plot.

And/or ... maybe in treating Jr.'s sweater so carefully, as though it represented her, he was demonstrating that he had learned his lesson in losing Jack... that loved ones are to be cherished and treated tenderly at every turn.  I believe that he learned, as some say, that tomorrow ain't promised.

I'm eager to see others' thoughts about moviegoer's question.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:23:37 pm »
But Ennis certainly conveys his love through the shirts, and treats them accordingly. Note how he subtly but perceptably draws the shirts close to him as he passes by Mr. Twist, as if to protect and shield everything they represent from that icy and contemptuous man.

beautiful point!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline moviegoer

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:37:05 pm »
First, moremojo...  As I read your post and you reminded us of Ennis snapping the top button of Jack's shirt at the end?  I actually let out a small sob!   Thanks alot!   ;)   I'd forgotten that small detail here (although I do remember blubbering when it happened in the movie).  And I do recall Ennis clutching the shirts more closely as he passed by Mr. Twist and thought that maybe Mr & Mrs Twist were expecting to see Ennis show up to retrieve the shirts and he couldn't bear to see Ennis carrying Jack's shirt.  Not sure about that one...

Second, alec, I was waiting to see Mrs. Twist slip the ashes in with the shirts when she was "bagging" them up, but I have to agree that it didn't make too much logical sense if she had.  As for Alma Jr.'s sweater, I had never thought about his actions towards it in that way.  And it makes perfect sense!  What a great insight!
Blanche: "I don't really mind Clayton being homosexual.  I don't just don't like him dating men!  Surely there are homosexuals who date women?"
Sophia: "Yeah.  They're called lesbians!"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:57:43 am »
And/or ... maybe in treating Jr.'s sweater so carefully, as though it represented her, he was demonstrating that he had learned his lesson in losing Jack... that loved ones are to be cherished and treated tenderly at every turn.  I believe that he learned, as some say, that tomorrow ain't promised.

I guess I don't put as much symbolism in the sweater as others do. Yes, I see it as a way that he indicates his love for his daughter. (He has troubles verbalizing his love to those closest to him).  The smelling of the sweater was added in the film ... it was not indicated in the screenplay.  I think there are three important parts of the last scene. The first is when there is an exchange between Alma, Jr and Ennis:
"This Kurt fella ... he loves you?"
"Yeah, Daddy, he loves me."

The is the first and only time Ennis uses the word "love". He also looks out the window ... you can see the pain and loneliness in his face .... I know he is thinking of Jack at that moment.

The second is when Ennis reconsiders and decides to go to Alma, Jr's wedding. This is the first time he has done this as well. I think he understands at that moment the importance of being with those he loves.

The final point is the two shirts. I see putting Alma's sweater in there as a motivation for opening the closet door. The "Jack, I swear ..." indicates his undying love for Jack. It is almost as if he is saying his wedding vows.

Curious what others think!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 10:49:45 pm »
The "Jack, I swear ..." indicates his undying love for Jack. It is almost as if he is saying his wedding vows.

Curious what others think!

Diane, tell you what, I think you are reading my mind, that's what! 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 12:37:33 am »
Yes, I think the main reason that Ennis rolls the shirts up like that in Lightning Flat is to safely get them by Old Man Twist.  He's so protective of them... you get the sense that things would or could come to blows if John Twist did anything to try to get those shirts away from Ennis.  I also think that Ennis just generally feels awkward about the whole situation and that manifests itself in his hurried treatment of the shirts as he walks down the stairs.  I get the sense that he really wants to get out of there.  I mean he's just visited the parents of his lover for the first time (and now he realizes that they know who he is, based on the earlier hints in the conversation at the table with the coffee) and it's clear that he's just been crying (also awkward for him probably).  I think Ennis wants to hurry his exit until he has those last interactions with Mrs. Twist.  They almost perform a little ritual of placing them in that bag.  It's clear that they both know that this is significant.  Also, I think her little nod of approval when he comes down with the shirts also was extraordinarily reassuring to Ennis (probably even more so than her verbal invitation to come back and see them sometime). 

Another idea about rolling the shirts up... Am I correct in thinking that it's only Jack's blue shirt that we/ Mr. and Mrs. Twist can see as Ennis walks to Mrs. Twist's kitchen? Is he trying to hide the fact that his own shirt is inside? 
???

Back to the comparison with Alma Jr.'s sweater...  Yes, Ennis is shown to take care with her sweater and to smell it/ kiss it, which is sweet.  But, he puts it in the closet like a normal piece of clothing.  The shirts are arranged in the closet as a type of shrine.  They're not hung there like any other piece of clothing.  Combining the shirts with the postcard in a pride-of-place (and where Ennis can see them easily when the door is open) makes them really, really special. 

:'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 02:07:18 am »
I also think that Ennis just generally feels awkward about the whole situation and that manifests itself in his hurried treatment of the shirts as he walks down the stairs.  I get the sense that he really wants to get out of there.  I mean he's just visited the parents of his lover for the first time (and now he realizes that they know who he is, based on the earlier hints in the conversation at the table with the coffee) and it's clear that he's just been crying (also awkward for him probably).

I agree it's probably awkward, but what I think is remarkable about this scene is how bravely Ennis is able to set aside the reservations he'd previously have had and overcome his fears of awkwardness or worse. Here's a man who just a few scenes earlier was paralyzed by worry that strangers on the pavement might be looking at him funny. Now he's presenting himself fairly openly as Jack's lover, facing whatever consequences that might entail, in order to do right by Jack. He knows that the Twists know about him and probably even notice his tears, and yet he can live with that, because he has realized what's most important. In a sense it's the flip side of the reunion scene -- the one other time he risked publicly expressing his love -- though instead of an overjoyed hello it's a grieving goodbye.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 08:00:41 pm »
Yes, I think the main reason that Ennis rolls the shirts up like that in Lightning Flat is to safely get them by Old Man Twist.  He's so protective of them... you get the sense that things would or could come to blows if John Twist did anything to try to get those shirts away from Ennis.  I also think that Ennis just generally feels awkward about the whole situation and that manifests itself in his hurried treatment of the shirts as he walks down the stairs.  I get the sense that he really wants to get out of there.  I mean he's just visited the parents of his lover for the first time (and now he realizes that they know who he is, based on the earlier hints in the conversation at the table with the coffee) and it's clear that he's just been crying (also awkward for him probably).  I think Ennis wants to hurry his exit until he has those last interactions with Mrs. Twist.  They almost perform a little ritual of placing them in that bag.  It's clear that they both know that this is significant.  Also, I think her little nod of approval when he comes down with the shirts also was extraordinarily reassuring to Ennis (probably even more so than her verbal invitation to come back and see them sometime). 

Another idea about rolling the shirts up... Am I correct in thinking that it's only Jack's blue shirt that we/ Mr. and Mrs. Twist can see as Ennis walks to Mrs. Twist's kitchen? Is he trying to hide the fact that his own shirt is inside? 
???

Back to the comparison with Alma Jr.'s sweater...  Yes, Ennis is shown to take care with her sweater and to smell it/ kiss it, which is sweet.  But, he puts it in the closet like a normal piece of clothing.  The shirts are arranged in the closet as a type of shrine.  They're not hung there like any other piece of clothing.  Combining the shirts with the postcard in a pride-of-place (and where Ennis can see them easily when the door is open) makes them really, really special.   :'(

I am printing your whole quote because I think you expressed it so well. IMO, there is an implied understanding of the significance of those shirts between Ennis and Mrs. Twist. Interestingly, the way this scene plays out is a bit different than in the screenplay. To be perfectly honest, the film is much more effective in showing Ennis' pain. It makes the exchange between Mrs. Twist and Ennis more poignant .... especially when Ennis is outside of the door and whispers ... "Thank you for this."

As for Alma Jr's sweater ... I agree that he is just putting it up on a shelf. Notice that he doesn't really look at it when he is putting it away. It is the two shirts he is focusing on (especially since he has just had the talk with Alma, Jr. and has realized he has lost the love of his life .... the thought of what could have been).
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:57:12 pm »
Another way of looking at this is that Ennis learned in his later years, alone, how to "do the laundry" which is to say, let his feelings flow. In carefully folding the sweater, he is "doing the laundry" for his daughter. He folds and then smells the sweater, as he smelled the shirts in the story, hoping for some lingering scent of Jack.

In the story, one of Ennis' last acts was to take the horseblankets from the Coffeepot Ranch over to the carwash and spray them down. After that, he went into Linda Higgins' gift shop to get him a postcard of Brokeback Mountain, north a there. This action was translated in the movie into the careful folding of the sweater.

To discuss more about "doing the laundry" go to this thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3004.0/all.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:32 am »
Beautifully thought and said with clarity Front-Ranger!
As you say:
           Another way of looking at this is that Ennis learned in his later years, alone, how to "do the laundry" which is to say, let his feelings flow. In carefully folding the sweater, he is "doing the laundry" for his daughter. He folds and then smells the sweater, as he smelled the shirts in the story, hoping for some lingering scent of Jack.

In the story, one of Ennis' last acts was to take the horseblankets from the Coffeepot Ranch over to the carwash and spray them down. After that, he went into Linda Higgins' gift shop to get him a postcard of Brokeback Mountain, north a there. This action was translated in the movie into the careful folding of the sweater.

I thank you very, very much for that!

And may I add, why the change from masculin to feminin actions, without prejudice as I have not other way to describe right now sorry, in his ways?? Do you and all think?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 12:18:50 am »
And may I add, why the change from masculin to feminin actions, without prejudice as I have not other way to describe right now sorry, in his ways?? Do you and all think?

There was some thought that Ang Lee considered Alma Jr. and Jenny to be the next generation's Ennis and Jack. Junior did share some of Ennis' traits, especially his moodiness and taciturnity. She had a runny nose, like Ennis on that last day on the mountain. And Jenny had some Jackian qualities...she was asthmatic, she sang, she disappeared from the movie after a certain point. And Ennis gave her a dozy embrace one time.

Ang Lee believes in reincarnation, and certainly believes that souls can be reborn into male or female bodies.
"chewing gum and duct tape"