Author Topic: Alma Jr.'s Sweater vs. The Shirts  (Read 5692 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Alma Jr.'s Sweater vs. The Shirts
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:57:12 pm »
Another way of looking at this is that Ennis learned in his later years, alone, how to "do the laundry" which is to say, let his feelings flow. In carefully folding the sweater, he is "doing the laundry" for his daughter. He folds and then smells the sweater, as he smelled the shirts in the story, hoping for some lingering scent of Jack.

In the story, one of Ennis' last acts was to take the horseblankets from the Coffeepot Ranch over to the carwash and spray them down. After that, he went into Linda Higgins' gift shop to get him a postcard of Brokeback Mountain, north a there. This action was translated in the movie into the careful folding of the sweater.

To discuss more about "doing the laundry" go to this thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3004.0/all.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:32 am »
Beautifully thought and said with clarity Front-Ranger!
As you say:
           Another way of looking at this is that Ennis learned in his later years, alone, how to "do the laundry" which is to say, let his feelings flow. In carefully folding the sweater, he is "doing the laundry" for his daughter. He folds and then smells the sweater, as he smelled the shirts in the story, hoping for some lingering scent of Jack.

In the story, one of Ennis' last acts was to take the horseblankets from the Coffeepot Ranch over to the carwash and spray them down. After that, he went into Linda Higgins' gift shop to get him a postcard of Brokeback Mountain, north a there. This action was translated in the movie into the careful folding of the sweater.

I thank you very, very much for that!

And may I add, why the change from masculin to feminin actions, without prejudice as I have not other way to describe right now sorry, in his ways?? Do you and all think?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 12:18:50 am »
And may I add, why the change from masculin to feminin actions, without prejudice as I have not other way to describe right now sorry, in his ways?? Do you and all think?

There was some thought that Ang Lee considered Alma Jr. and Jenny to be the next generation's Ennis and Jack. Junior did share some of Ennis' traits, especially his moodiness and taciturnity. She had a runny nose, like Ennis on that last day on the mountain. And Jenny had some Jackian qualities...she was asthmatic, she sang, she disappeared from the movie after a certain point. And Ennis gave her a dozy embrace one time.

Ang Lee believes in reincarnation, and certainly believes that souls can be reborn into male or female bodies.
"chewing gum and duct tape"