Author Topic: Ain't no reins on this one (was BBM BBM BBM BBM)  (Read 9661 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Ain't no reins on this one (was BBM BBM BBM BBM)
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:07:18 pm »
I'm back at deep BBM obsession level again.  All I want to do is think, read, post, talk BBM.  I've been dreaming about it again, and waking up and going to sleep to it.  And that's without watching the movie.  Who needs the movie at this point?  It's in the DVR of my brain. 

And my serendipitous circumstances are conspiring to keep me here:  In literally the last 10 minutes, on my way to the Internet Cafe I'm at now, I saw the following:

- A Saab AERO, which reminded me of AnglessFest in Santa Monica.

- A sign saying, "Welcome Classic Car Club Enthusiasts," which reminded me of DavidinHartford.

- A Taco del Mar restaurant.

- And a poster that says "BURNING WORD," which reminded me of TheStudDuck!

Thanks for listening.

Clarissa
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:10:51 am by Elle-Effen'-Meno »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: BBM BBM BBM BBM BBM BBM
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:18:09 pm »
Thanks for listening.
Clarissa

Tell you what, we're here for you, Clarissa, Honey!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:26:57 pm »
Honey, if it's any consolation I know E*X*A*C*T*L*Y how ya feel.  :-*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:32:37 pm »
I got two Honeys in a row!  I like that.  I guess all that stickiness is keeping me around. :)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:36:47 pm »
I too love your addiction Honey!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 11:45:16 pm »
It's in the DVR of my brain. 

:laugh:

Me too I think, but my mind keeps adding stuff too.  And it seems it's never enough, never enough... 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24:25 am »
Good to know that, long ago as you saw it, it never goes away. Hell, what am I saying? Victoria's nearing her one-year anniversary, and she's still here!

(*On the other hand, she asks herself, is it really THAT good to know that the obsession never really goes away? Don't I eventually have to get some work done? I have written like two pages since January. I mean pages that I actually get paid for, as opposed to the reams I've posted here. I've made like $12 in the past five months. When I get assignments, I practically consider turning them down BECAUSE I KNOW I WON'T HAVE TIME. Someday, someday, I must be free of this or I will be living on the streets! Damn you, Ang Lee, damn you!)

Ahem. Sorry. It's my inner Ennis acting up again.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 12:32:08 am »
If BBM obsession isn't normal, good or right... then I don't want to be normal, good or right.  Seriously.  This is way too much fun.
 :-\ :)

I'm telling you, I said I was going to go catch 40 winks about half an hour ago, but here I am.  Still.  Sometimes you just can't get enough of BBM or BetterMost. 

Clarissa, I understand about the obsession going in waves... of sorts.  It never goes away, but sometimes it makes itself known in a mighty powerful way.  And sometimes I'm more obsessed with the movie and sometimes more obsessed with the board.  My favorite moments of conflict come when I can't decide whether I should log off to go watch the movie... or vice versa, whether I should turn the movie off to come post here.  I've definitely paused the movie to come running to the computer to post a new thought. 
 ::) :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 12:39:37 am »
If BBM obsession isn't normal, good or right... then I don't want to be normal, good or right.  Seriously.  This is way too much fun.
 :-\ :)

I'm telling you, I said I was going to go catch 40 winks about half an hour ago, but here I am.  Still.  Sometimes you just can't get enough of BBM or BetterMost. 

Clarissa, I understand about the obsession going in waves... of sorts.  It never goes away, but sometimes it makes itself known in a mighty powerful way.  And sometimes I'm more obsessed with the movie and sometimes more obsessed with the board.  My favorite moments of conflict come when I can't decide whether I should log off to go watch the movie... or vice versa, whether I should turn the movie off to come post here.  I've definitely paused the movie to come running to the computer to post a new thought. 
 ::) :D

Love this post Amanda, and many thank yous and empathetic nods to Elle too. I feel strangely the same way for the past week or two. Maybe it was going ahead with the Pride booth that did it (or else all that time ahorseback  ;)) but I, too, am thinking more about BBM again, and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

For a few months I needed to have something of a break, just from my exhaustion of three months of no sleep, and things in my life that were finally bugging me enough to distract me from this community and the movie. I guess it happened right after it left theaters (and I still haven't watched my DVD yet!). But now, here I am, posting late and stealing lots of time at work to check and post on the performance thread. May we ride it long and hard. BBM forever, yeehaw.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 01:09:39 am »
I think I'll change the heading of the thread....

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
Re: Ain't no reins on this one (was BBM BBM BBM BBM)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 01:29:46 am »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 05:31:32 am »
I think I'll change the heading of the thread....

The Dr. of Feverology prescribes a ritual reading of A New Clinical Entity: Brokeback Fever. It is posted over on the fanfic & poetry thread for easy access...Enjoy, Elle!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 06:09:58 am »
I'm back at deep BBM obsession level again.  All I want to do is think, read, post, talk BBM.  I've been dreaming about it again, and waking up and going to sleep to it.  And that's without watching the movie.  Who needs the movie at this point?  It's in the DVR of my brain.  Clarissa
I'm with you on that one!! Ever since I got my DVD of BBM I haven't even watched it once entirely.. (only until the reunion kiss - fast-forwarding to it..). It's like I'm keeping away from it, so just that I can enjoy it more intensely the next time (when?) I watch it. But it's engraved in my brain anyway!

And, by the way, after lending it to one of my Irish colleagues, it's now with a Portuguese colleague and after that a Belgian friend will get it.

I'm trying to spread the obsession European-wide!   ;D

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:11:37 am by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:37 am »
OK, this may sound perverse but I find it comforting to read here that some people have not yet watched their DVDs. I have watched mine-twice, actually--but knowing that some folks haven't watched their copies at all makes me feel a little better for having watched mine only twice--if that makes any sense--like I haven't committed some unspeakable act by not watching.

It's so difficult to make the time to sit down undistracted to watch--plus, Ennis and Jack have become such a part of me, such a part of my inner life, that I don't need to see the film. They are with me always.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 12:17:01 pm »
Last night at 10:30pm, I boldly turned off my computer and went to bed.  It was hard.  It is now morning here, and I just got up, turned on my computer for about half an hour, and now am about to turn it off again until GULP! early afternoon.

I don't think I've mentioned this, but my mother and her little dog too :) are coming to stay with us for TWO MONTHS starting July 3rd.  While the rest of the U.S. will be celebrating FREEDOM, I'll be.....celebrating having my nearest and dearest with me all under one roof. 

I notice that there are others here who live together with their parents.  I look forward to turning to you for wisdom and support.

Clarissa, who really needs to get cracking on all the housework that's piled up around here since December, when Our Boys came to love here too.  Yeah, now that I think about it, Our Boys are perfect guests in my home, heart and head.  They don't expect any housework, or clean towels, dinner, or paid bills.  They just want my undivided attention.  Which (fortunately/unfortunately/fortunately) they have.

Anyway, off to the housework of the last 6 months.  [shudder]

Clarissa

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 02:38:39 pm »
OK, this may sound perverse but I find it comforting to read here that some people have not yet watched their DVDs. I have watched mine-twice, actually--but knowing that some folks haven't watched their copies at all makes me feel a little better for having watched mine only twice--if that makes any sense--like I haven't committed some unspeakable act by not watching.

It's so difficult to make the time to sit down undistracted to watch--plus, Ennis and Jack have become such a part of me, such a part of my inner life, that I don't need to see the film. They are with me always.

Completely agree!

I've watched the DVD through all the way only once, but absolutely love having it.  I don't need to keep watching it these days.  The memory is as strong as the reality, and I really don't seem able to give it the attention I like watching it on DVD...
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 02:49:44 pm »
I don't need to watch it anymore, either.  I just want to.  ;)

Like Amanda said, if loving you is wrong, BBM, I don't wanna be right.
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 02:50:46 pm »
Our Boys are perfect guests in my home, heart and head.  They don't expect any housework, or clean towels, dinner, or paid bills.  They just want my undivided attention.  Which (fortunately/unfortunately/fortunately) they have.

How many people's undivided attention do they have? Thousands, millions? They sure have mine. And like you, Clarissa, I have a drawer of unpaid bills and can't think of the last time I went grocery shopping...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 02:55:41 pm »
I have only watched my DVD once or twice all the way thru.   I have popped it in to watch the reunion scene a few times though.   :)

Plus I like to see Jack all dressed in black at the charity dance.   Love the fiddle music that opens that scene too. 

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 02:58:45 pm »
And like you, Clarissa, I have a drawer of unpaid bills and can't think of the last time I went grocery shopping...

LOL.  I fall into this club too.   :laugh:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 05:34:43 pm »
LOL.  I fall into this club too.   :laugh:

Wish I could say the same.  My better half does a lot of helpful things around the house, but writing bills and going grocery shopping ain't two of them.   :P
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 06:34:24 pm »
Wish I could say the same.  My better half does a lot of helpful things around the house, but writing bills and going grocery shopping ain't two of them.   :P

(Barb, I think that means that you ARE in the same club.)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 07:11:33 pm »
It's everywhere! You can't do anything about it, even if you wanted to!

Today I was home early. Early enough to turn on the TV and wathc a 'Joey' episode. After 'Friends' ended, I tried 'Joey', but only saw the first three episodes and then forgot about it. But today at home I was bored and watched tv and this 'Joey' episode came up. And guess what? It's the episode where 'Joey' reads a book! Yes! And guess what book? Yes! Brokeback Mountain. Isn't this odo? There I stopped watching 'Joey' for months and just by chance today I get to watch it again.. blah blah.. anyway, 'Joey' loved the cowboy story, but was surprised at all the typos...  'He put his head on his HER chest'!...

And I do pay my bills! I do i do I do...

I also have a purring cat sitting on my right hand and it's kind of hard to get to the smilies .. can't reach the mouse.. *stretch*.. trying with my left hand..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 08:35:40 pm »
I don't need to watch it anymore, either.  I just want to.  ;)

Yup!  I have the movie memorized by now anyways... but I can't stand watching much else.  Other movies still annoy me. I always find myself thinking... this isn't as good as BBM... why am I not watching BBM?... I could be using this valuable leisure time watching BBM rather than *insert name of random movie*.  Or, I could be using said-leisure time hanging out on BetterMost.  Either way, the obsession rears its head.

:-\ 8)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 07:28:13 am »
Yup!  I have the movie memorized by now anyways... but I can't stand watching much else.  Other movies still annoy me. I always find myself thinking... this isn't as good as BBM... why am I not watching BBM?... I could be using this valuable leisure time watching BBM rather than *insert name of random movie*.  Or, I could be using said-leisure time hanging out on BetterMost.  Either way, the obsession rears its head.

:-\ 8)

I actually got dragged to the movies yesterday to see "Prairie Home Companion." The best part? It is partially produced by River Road Entertainment so you see that same scene with the car driving down the curvy road that comes at the beginning of BBM. In fact, I almost wished that BBM would start. But no....

As for PHC. It is uneven. There are some very funny lines and I think Lily Tomlin is great. It has two cowboys (Dusty and Lefty) and their song near the end had me laughing out loud. But through big chunks of it in the middle, I could barely keep my eyes open.

L

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 08:07:13 am »
went to see "Brick" the other day--kept faklling asleep. Then I went next door to mel's Diner and wrote for 3 hours...not sleepy anymoire...

Spent all evening comparing my fullscreen DVD with Sid Melucci's widescreen. "Why arent' we bored with this yet?" I asked. "Haven't the foggiest idea," he said. Fullscreen wins...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 08:09:40 am »
(Barb, I think that means that you ARE in the same club.)

Not exactly, 'cause I actually do the grocery shopping - 2 or 3 times a week, even - and pay all the farging bills.  Not to mention cook all the meals for all of us.  If I didn't, we'd be starving and out in the street, because all of these things seem to be completely foreign to the man of the house.  I'd probably have to direct him to the grocery store if I was ever pinned under a rock and couldn't physically do it myself.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:13:02 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 08:27:35 am »
I am no longer allowed to do docent tours till Dec. 21, cause i missed 3 (I actually missed 10, but they don't count very well). I can still do architedture. Anyone else get demoted, even temporarily, or are you really all keeping your work together likke you should?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2006, 05:44:37 pm »
So I performed an experiment yesterday.  I treated myself to a double feature...  Lee's the Wedding Banquet followed immediately by BBM.  And, all I can say is ... wow, has Lee "grown" as a director!  There are some really nice moments in the Wedding Banquet, but in terms of subtlty, emotional connection to the characters, etc., the two films are like night and day.  Granted they are meant to be very different... a lot more humor in Banquet... but still BBM just blows it away.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 11:49:05 am »
I actually got dragged to the movies yesterday to see "Prairie Home Companion." The best part? It is partially produced by River Road Entertainment so you see that same scene with the car driving down the curvy road that comes at the beginning of BBM. In fact, I almost wished that BBM would start. But no....

That was my experience with it too, Leslie.  I felt such a sense of wellbeing yet yearning flood over me when I saw and heard the RiverRoad logo come on at the beginning of Prairie Home Companion.