Author Topic: At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:33:14 pm »
I realize I am not the only bringer of bad news in the forum in as many days, but considering my own PM box of messages wondering where I've been as of late, I wanted to bring everyone up to speed with my ongoing encounters with the health care community.

About a week ago, I found myself dropping to the kitchen floor, which created a loud thud and a good deal of surprise on my part as I found myself unceremoniously leaning against a cabinet.  Since around Memorial Day, my blood sugar level has been dropping and it reached the point where I've been diagnosed hypoglycemic (we're talking numbers almost as low as Bush approval ratings).  In my ongoing quest to never go with the crowds, I have suffered from a decline in mood and energy which becomes the worst during the summer months.  This atypical style of depressed energy and plentiful sighing occurs exactly opposite to what most people experience - winter doldrums when the days are short and the sun is on a milk carton under the headline "Missing."  I've dealt with it during the mid-summer for at least a decade now.

My choices have been: Dr. Phil "Get Over It", to bounce through life with the sad little cartoon bubble and take Brightenmoodynol, or wander aimlessly on a beach with my head down as the sun goes down until I pop Nosuicidenol XL and then I can smile and laugh with my ethnically diverse group of actor friends while we plant pretty flowers on sunny days, or for those who have heard the sad stories of Watusi Jenkins in the Anything Goes thread of random funny bits, I could always get my "head shocked." :)

But now it turns out that the pretty teeny tiny pills with the whopping big co-pays aren't necessarily for me when it appears the problem may be physical first and emotional second.

Anyway, as I am being poked and prodded, I have been out of my element, which is to say not on here.  But I'm not really going anywhere - I am just being renovated, or so they tell me. 

Unfortunately, I spoke in the plural in referencing my involvement with the health care community.  For those unaware, my mother is suffering from stage IV tongue cancer which we are fighting back against with the help of the good people at the Roswell Cancer Institute in Buffalo (a group I highly recommend).  This has put considerable strain on my family and myself.  I have also learned today that my father's colonoscopy has turned up a suspicious lesion on his colon which could be cancerous.  The timing of this could not be worse, of course.  However, as this was uncovered during a routine colonoscopy (something highly recommended for those nearing age 50 - catch things early before they become a major issue), we are hopeful.

I appreciate folks noticing my reduced presence here, but want to keep everyone informed that it is not due to a lack of interest or involvement.   
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:37:55 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:38:19 pm »
Phillip,

Thanks for the update.

I am sorry to hear the news regarding your health and that of your parents.  I hope you get well soon.  The same to your parents.  We will be thinking of you.

Jenny

Edit:
Ooops, missed the one about your dad. Sorry, best wishes for him.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:30:59 pm by JennyC »

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 04:48:20 pm »
Jumpin Jimminee!    That is alot to heap on ones shoulders guy!   

Glad you told us.  I'm sure just typing all that lifted some weight off of ya.

You'll be in our thoughts with get well wishes for you and your family.

Meanwhile,  We'll have our best man keep an eye on ya.

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:10:15 pm »
All the best Phillip.  Lots of love and positive engery comin' your way....and don't worry we're all keepin and eye on things around here for you.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:26:03 pm »
Phillip,

Thank you very much for the update.  I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much at one time.  To paraphrase Victoria, BetterMost is a well-oiled machine, so no need to worry about us.  I'll keep healing good thoughts for your Mom, your Dad, and for you.

I hope you know how very much we love you 'round here.  Take care, Friend.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:33:15 pm »
Thanks for checking in, Phillip.  We've sure been missing you around these parts.  I'm so sorry about the reasons.

All good thoughts are heading your way and your Mom's and Dad's, too.
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:46:42 pm »
After 4 months, I should be better able to say something positive. Just going to echo what others have said - will be thinking of you and yours. Get better soon, and get back .. when/as soon as .. you can. And thanks for the update.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 07:48:28 pm »
Dang! Philip! Keep strong and if Brightenmoodynol don't work, make sure to try BiBieMnol!! I hear it does wonders, but you can get addicted! Other adverse reactions are a bunch of crazy Brokies waiting for good news and your return - when you're ready, that is!

Best wishes to you and your family!

This to cheer you up!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 08:08:51 pm »
Hey Phillip,

I wish you all the best at this time - to you, to your mom and dad!
You are with us in thoughts, prayers, wishes ...

Take care,  :-*
Milli

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 09:41:19 am »
Phillip,

I'm so sorry to hear about all that's hitting you right now, but thanks for sharing.  Please know you, your parents and entire family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ann Marie
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.