Author Topic: At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:33:14 pm »
I realize I am not the only bringer of bad news in the forum in as many days, but considering my own PM box of messages wondering where I've been as of late, I wanted to bring everyone up to speed with my ongoing encounters with the health care community.

About a week ago, I found myself dropping to the kitchen floor, which created a loud thud and a good deal of surprise on my part as I found myself unceremoniously leaning against a cabinet.  Since around Memorial Day, my blood sugar level has been dropping and it reached the point where I've been diagnosed hypoglycemic (we're talking numbers almost as low as Bush approval ratings).  In my ongoing quest to never go with the crowds, I have suffered from a decline in mood and energy which becomes the worst during the summer months.  This atypical style of depressed energy and plentiful sighing occurs exactly opposite to what most people experience - winter doldrums when the days are short and the sun is on a milk carton under the headline "Missing."  I've dealt with it during the mid-summer for at least a decade now.

My choices have been: Dr. Phil "Get Over It", to bounce through life with the sad little cartoon bubble and take Brightenmoodynol, or wander aimlessly on a beach with my head down as the sun goes down until I pop Nosuicidenol XL and then I can smile and laugh with my ethnically diverse group of actor friends while we plant pretty flowers on sunny days, or for those who have heard the sad stories of Watusi Jenkins in the Anything Goes thread of random funny bits, I could always get my "head shocked." :)

But now it turns out that the pretty teeny tiny pills with the whopping big co-pays aren't necessarily for me when it appears the problem may be physical first and emotional second.

Anyway, as I am being poked and prodded, I have been out of my element, which is to say not on here.  But I'm not really going anywhere - I am just being renovated, or so they tell me. 

Unfortunately, I spoke in the plural in referencing my involvement with the health care community.  For those unaware, my mother is suffering from stage IV tongue cancer which we are fighting back against with the help of the good people at the Roswell Cancer Institute in Buffalo (a group I highly recommend).  This has put considerable strain on my family and myself.  I have also learned today that my father's colonoscopy has turned up a suspicious lesion on his colon which could be cancerous.  The timing of this could not be worse, of course.  However, as this was uncovered during a routine colonoscopy (something highly recommended for those nearing age 50 - catch things early before they become a major issue), we are hopeful.

I appreciate folks noticing my reduced presence here, but want to keep everyone informed that it is not due to a lack of interest or involvement.   
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:37:55 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:38:19 pm »
Phillip,

Thanks for the update.

I am sorry to hear the news regarding your health and that of your parents.  I hope you get well soon.  The same to your parents.  We will be thinking of you.

Jenny

Edit:
Ooops, missed the one about your dad. Sorry, best wishes for him.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:30:59 pm by JennyC »

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 04:48:20 pm »
Jumpin Jimminee!    That is alot to heap on ones shoulders guy!   

Glad you told us.  I'm sure just typing all that lifted some weight off of ya.

You'll be in our thoughts with get well wishes for you and your family.

Meanwhile,  We'll have our best man keep an eye on ya.

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:10:15 pm »
All the best Phillip.  Lots of love and positive engery comin' your way....and don't worry we're all keepin and eye on things around here for you.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:26:03 pm »
Phillip,

Thank you very much for the update.  I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much at one time.  To paraphrase Victoria, BetterMost is a well-oiled machine, so no need to worry about us.  I'll keep healing good thoughts for your Mom, your Dad, and for you.

I hope you know how very much we love you 'round here.  Take care, Friend.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:33:15 pm »
Thanks for checking in, Phillip.  We've sure been missing you around these parts.  I'm so sorry about the reasons.

All good thoughts are heading your way and your Mom's and Dad's, too.
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:46:42 pm »
After 4 months, I should be better able to say something positive. Just going to echo what others have said - will be thinking of you and yours. Get better soon, and get back .. when/as soon as .. you can. And thanks for the update.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 07:48:28 pm »
Dang! Philip! Keep strong and if Brightenmoodynol don't work, make sure to try BiBieMnol!! I hear it does wonders, but you can get addicted! Other adverse reactions are a bunch of crazy Brokies waiting for good news and your return - when you're ready, that is!

Best wishes to you and your family!

This to cheer you up!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 08:08:51 pm »
Hey Phillip,

I wish you all the best at this time - to you, to your mom and dad!
You are with us in thoughts, prayers, wishes ...

Take care,  :-*
Milli

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 09:41:19 am »
Phillip,

I'm so sorry to hear about all that's hitting you right now, but thanks for sharing.  Please know you, your parents and entire family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ann Marie
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 10:46:41 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that Phillip, especially about your mom's disease. I've had experiences dealing with cancer in the family and I know what is about. I'll be sending out some healing energy to you.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear that Phillip, especially about your mom's disease. I've had experiences dealing with cancer in the family and I know what is about. I'll be sending out some healing energy to you.

Same here.  Sending you thoughts of hope and health.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 12:20:18 pm »
Thanks to everyone!  I am finding getting out of the house to be a reasonably good way to re-energize.  John and I have been doing day trip driveabouts.  Last weekend we ended up down in Naples, NY which is known for its grapes - wine and eating.  That's part of Finger Lakes wine country in western NY.  We don't have mountains on this side of the state, but the enormous hills caused by glaciers definitely reminded me of Brokeback Mountain, so in a way, it served as a pulse check and it did determine that, yes, I am still obsessed, but in an evolving way.  I did my Friday errands with country & western music coming out of the XM Radio in the car, which is also an absolute sign that BBM changed me because prior to that, C&W music to me was like garlic to a vampire. 

The downside to that music is that the themes in it remain hardly uplifting.  In one afternoon, I got to deal with lyrics about a mother passing away while trying to comfort her daughter (as she had done throughout her life), a young man who impregnated his girlfriend at 16 throwing away his entire life and career (and ending up driving a truck and cheated on her in a truck stop), a man who saw his own childhood that slipped away as he watched his son play, a relationship post-divorce and, papers in hand, what that meant when compared to the early days of the relationship, etc.  No wonder Jack cried.  In the immortal words of Shirley: "Cut that music off and put on something with some soul in it up on here."  :)  Seriously, that is the big downside to the C&W music. 

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 12:45:34 pm »
That's a lot of weight on your shoulders, Bud-know that we are standing with you.

Know what you mean about the C&W music.

Rouxbee

O0

Heathen

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 12:54:10 pm »
Just feel us all there with you Phillip, in the quiet times, and know that we are all thinking about you and your mom and dad. I am in the medical community and I see miracles and new treatments every day.  Never give up hope.
gaylee   
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 01:16:48 pm »
Same here.  Sending you thoughts of hope and health.

Dear Phillip,

Count me among those sending thoughts and caring your way.  If I were already home in Buffalo, I could pop by Roswell Park with a BetterMost bean  casserole and arrange for a bunch of Brokies to serenade your family with rounds of "Water Walkin' Jesus."   ;) 

Seriously, I know personally how horrific the challenges that you are facing right now can be.  I have the reverse of the usual seasonal affective disorder affliction, in that it hits me HARD HARD HARD in the summer.... and in winter, I am as chipper as can be no matter how gray the skies get.  That is one of my reasons for leaving the tropical swamp of our nation's capital for home, where the humidity is not so high as to cause one's skin to rot (no hyperbole here -- that happened to one of my St. Bernards last summer!!).  I have also dealt with the stress and devastation that cancer brings up close & personal.  (I recently posted some of that experience in, of all places, the Polling Place regarding the summer solstice).  I also know what a fantastic place of grit & hope Roswell Park can be.  I'm glad your mom is with them.

Please keep us posted, and consider yourself hugged by the BetterMost minions.  -- Alec
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 05:15:56 pm »
May I recommend the new duet album with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris "All the Roadrunning" which reminds me of the BBM soundtrack a little with the guitar (tho a Stratocaster this time) and Emmylou's beautiful voice. Some of the songs are country-ish and others are like old Irish hymns, bluegrass, or mellow rock. A few are a little sad but most are very positive and some are downright romantic. Overall, I think it would lift your spirits! Hope your health detour is short, the summer solstice and full moon have affected me more than usual this year. I wonder if having BBM on my mind nonstop has had something to do with that? I'd invite you to come to Colorado for a constitutional, but it's hot here too and the Ponderosa pine pollen is everywhere, lending a golden sheen to the light (and to my furniture and wood floors!).
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 07:00:54 pm »
Dear Phillip, thanks for sharing the bad as well as the good with us.  You have a positive outlook on things as well as a great sense of humor, and that will stand you in good stead through all this, I'm sure.  God bless, and know we're pulling for you and your dear ones.  :-*

Meryl
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 06:14:15 pm »
Take care,Philip.My prayers are with you.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 06:41:04 pm »
Can you feel the vibes I'm sending from Bawlmer, hon?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 07:42:46 pm »
Add my voice to the chorus of well-wishers.  I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficult time you and your parents are going through.  We're all thinking of you!

all the best,
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 12:14:39 am »
Wow, Phillip, this is a lot to be handling. Thank you for letting us know, and I'm glad to hear of your little drives and visits to the mountain country. I'm glad you and your parents are gettting good care. I know what you mean about summer mood swings--I've done my battles with depression much more often in the summer too, for some reason. It's not fair is it?

Please take it one step, one breath, at a time. I'll even go out on a limb and recommend a book called The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle, if you want some help  getting into the present moment.

No matter what, please know how much we love and care for you here at BetterMost. I'm sending my best healing energies to you and yours.

With love,

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 08:42:03 am »
all the best to you and yours Phillip.

Kelda
x
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 04:00:44 pm »
Phillip, let us know what we can take on to help.  Also, for uplifting, beautiful music, I've got a great Live 365.com radio station to suggest. ;)  Clarissa

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 12:03:17 am »
Dear Phillip,

So sorry to read of your hard times right now.I know exactly what you mean about seasonal highs and lows. As soon as November comes and the days are so short it starts hitting me. I don't really adjust to it until December is over .Every year it never fails.

My mother died of cancer 10 years ago. And yes Roswell in Buffallo was a wonderful hospital. The cancer was just too advanced by time she had it diagnosed. Early detection is the only way.

My dad died of cancer(brain) last Friday night. I guess I am still in shock. But he had a long fight and I feel he is now resting peacefully. It seems like your parents have caught it early and therefor it will make all the difference.

You seem like you have alot going on right now in your life. Alot to handle. Just know your not alone. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Geri
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

vkm91941

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 01:56:00 am »
Dear Phillip,

So sorry to read of your hard times right now.I know exactly what you mean about seasonal highs and lows. As soon as November comes and the days are so short it starts hitting me. I don't really adjust to it until December is over .Every year it never fails.

My mother died of cancer 10 years ago. And yes Roswell in Buffallo was a wonderful hospital. The cancer was just too advanced by time she had it diagnosed. Early detection is the only way.

My dad died of cancer(brain) last Friday night. I guess I am still in shock. But he had a long fight and I feel he is now resting peacefully. It seems like your parents have caught it early and therefor it will make all the difference.

You seem like you have alot going on right now in your life. Alot to handle. Just know your not alone. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Geri

Geri I am so sorry to hear about your Dad!  You have my heartfelt sympathy.  I lost my Mom 2 years ago April and I still miss her every day.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 05:04:38 pm »
Glad to hear that Pennsylvania didn't go all Katrina on us yesterday. We'd all be some sad soggy doggies if our Brokie server got inundated (not to mention Phillip and John!!)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 10:43:46 am »
We escaped the flooding in southern/central New York.  It has rained with afternoon thunderstorms everyday, right around walk time, so I have been walking at one of the area's "dead malls" on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Yesterday I was at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo with my mom from 8:30am-9:00pm.  It's an hour fifteen minutes away from us in Rochester.  They are trying a different chemo.  Unfortunately, it was very painful for her at the tumor site, but perhaps that is a sign it is working.

Also unfortunately, we learned yesterday that my father has tested positive for colon cancer and will be admitted to hospital within a week to begin surgery to remove one affected area of the colon.  We do not yet know how extensive the cancer is.  If it was caught early enough, long term prospects are reasonably high.  If not, things will be more iffy.

Having to deal with two parents each with different cancers at the same time is, as you might expect, quite overwhelming.  We just have to take things day to day.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 10:58:40 am »
We escaped the flooding in southern/central New York.  It has rained with afternoon thunderstorms everyday, right around walk time, so I have been walking at one of the area's "dead malls" on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Let me guess:  Long Ridge Mall?  Greece Towne?  Or was that all combined into one years ago and the whole thing is dead?

Yesterday I was at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo with my mom from 8:30am-9:00pm.  It's an hour fifteen minutes away from us in Rochester.  They are trying a different chemo.  Unfortunately, it was very painful for her at the tumor site, but perhaps that is a sign it is working.

Also unfortunately, we learned yesterday that my father has tested positive for colon cancer and will be admitted to hospital within a week to begin surgery to remove one affected area of the colon.  We do not yet know how extensive the cancer is.  If it was caught early enough, long term prospects are reasonably high.  If not, things will be more iffy.

Having to deal with two parents each with different cancers at the same time is, as you might expect, quite overwhelming.  We just have to take things day to day.

I'm another who's thinking of you every day, Phillip.  My husband just went through this kind of thing last year and the year before with his Mom.  He's still recovering from what a very difficult time it was for her and for him and his whole family.  My heart goes out to you and to them.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 11:05:17 am »
Phillip,

I bet one of the hardest parts for each of of your parents is it's hard to be as supportive as they would want to be to each other right now.  

You and your family have a passel of people caring about you.

Clarissa

Offline Wayne

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 04:16:42 pm »
Best wishes to all of you Phillip!!     :-* :-*
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 05:00:44 pm »
...today brought better news - my father will still need surgery, but from what was explained to me, the tumor is limited in scope and size and has not spread, so an operation should resolve that matter.  If so, that will take at least half a load off!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 05:12:23 pm »
...today brought better news - my father will still need surgery, but from what was explained to me, the tumor is limited in scope and size and has not spread, so an operation should resolve that matter.  If so, that will take at least half a load off!

Great news Phil!  Glad to hear it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 05:13:58 pm »
Thanks, that's great to hear!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 05:19:21 pm »

That sounds like excellent news, Phillip.  Thank you for keeping us updated.  As always, you and yours are in my thoughts.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 05:22:59 pm »
AMEN and YEEHAW!!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 07:03:04 pm »
So glad to hear it.  And so appreciative always that you find time for all of us here as well.  I hope all your time here is more pleasure than pain.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 07:40:25 pm »
Glad to hear the good news.  We sure could use some right now.

Thinking of you and your loved ones...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 11:26:04 pm »
So glad to hear there has been some positive news!

Best wishes and positive thoughts to you all!

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

vkm91941

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 11:57:38 pm »

Oh Phillip that's wonderful news.  The best.  :D  I am so happy for him and your family.  Lots of love and healing energy coming your way my friend

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2006, 12:08:03 am »
 :) I am happy for you Phil and your family that the latest news is relatively good - my mom has beat cancer three times and one of them was colon cancer, so I know what you are going through - take it as it comes and know that others share your pain - be well, my friend................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist