Author Topic: Jacks Bitch'n  (Read 6424 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Jacks Bitch'n
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:21:53 pm »
Jack may have complained a lot about the work on the mountian, cold, etc.  but here never complained about having to drive all the way to Wyoming to see Ennis as often as Ennis could get together. Jack was always willing to make himself availiable to Ennis.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:46:52 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jacks Bitch'n
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:44:45 pm »
Jack was much more in tune with his feelings for Ennis. I love this description in the book:

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger ..... that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single most artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see or feel that it was Jack he held.

Jack would have given up everything if Ennis would have said the word. The tragedy is that Ennis could not even admit that his one-in-a-lifetime love was Jack ...  until Jack was dead.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 09:04:50 pm »
  but he never complained about having to drive all the way to Wyoming to see Ennis as often as Ennis could get together. Jack was always willing to make himself availiable to Ennis.

So very true!  But haven't we all driven miles to be with the one we loved at some point?

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »
So very true!  But haven't we all driven miles to be with the one we loved at some point?
Driven hundreds of miles, dropped an entire month's paycheck on plane tickets....yep.

Another thing about Jack's bitching (which I can't help but love) is that I always take it to be that part of his personality that won't let him settle for anything that he doesn't think is right. Wether is be Aguirre's bending of the rules, or Ennis' unwillingness to have that "sweet life". I get saddened a lot because I can empathize with Jack's frustration at trying, gently, to coax Ennis into a better life and Jack never seeing it "come to pass".
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 12:06:46 am »
Jack had a tendency to bitch, IMO because he was a dreamer.  He never wanted to settle, always imagined something better.  A good example of this is when Ennis lost their food on Brokeback due to being startled by a bear, and Jack refused to settle for beans.  Ennis was content to eat only beans, which shows us how in life he was more of a "that'll do"  person.  Jack wanted more for himself and Ennis.

But you're right, Jack never bitched about driving long miles to see Ennis because he was able to be with the man he loved, which was his joy.  Jack, ever the dreamer, probably thought that Ennis would someday come around, and that was a goal worth driving 14 or so hours for.  No need to bitch when working toward a dream.  Hope this makes sense.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 08:21:13 pm »
Jack had a tendency to bitch, IMO because he was a dreamer.  He never wanted to settle, always imagined something better.  A good example of this is when Ennis lost their food on Brokeback due to being startled by a bear, and Jack refused to settle for beans.  Ennis was content to eat only beans, which shows us how in life he was more of a "that'll do"  person.  Jack wanted more for himself and Ennis.

But you're right, Jack never bitched about driving long miles to see Ennis because he was able to be with the man he loved, which was his joy.  Jack, ever the dreamer, probably thought that Ennis would someday come around, and that was a goal worth driving 14 or so hours for.  No need to bitch when working toward a dream.  Hope this makes sense.

By the way!! Hi, Littlewing! It is so good to "see" you on this site.

Jack wasn't bitchy about driving the 14 hours to see Ennis strictly because he thought that Ennis had come to his senses and had decided to spend a life with him. IMO, it was after that point that Jack knew that the life he had hoped to live (with Ennis) would most likely not happen. The pain is palpable.

Interestingly, Jack is much more restrained when it comes to Lureen's dad (that is, until all that anger has built up and he tells him to "sit down you old son-of-a-bitch" ). He is also not that bitchy with Lureen. Maybe it is because with Ennis, he could express how he really felt. With his domestic life, he didn't want to expend too much emotional energy. (i.e. he was not as emotionally invested with Lureen et.al. versus Ennis).
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:06:51 pm »
Diane,  As my mother says, "we're chopping in tall cotton now!    ;D We are among friends, scholars, thinkers, and I'm glad to be here!

I love what you said about Jack being sort of restrained when it came to Lureen and her dad.  Why waste energy on people to whom he is not really emotionally attached?  I never thought about it this way!  Very insightful, Diane!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 02:35:13 pm »
Jack would have given up everything if Ennis would have said the word. The tragedy is that Ennis could not even admit that his one-in-a-lifetime love was Jack ...  until Jack was dead.

I agree!  And the quote you give us, dly64 , is beautiful, one of the best parts of the movie and story.  Yeah, poor Ennis never could understand Jack completely and all he was until he was gone.

I tell you what, if I met a guy like Jack, not so much like Jack looked, though Jack was devilishly good lookin', but the kinda guy that feels and loves like Jack, I would snap him up in a heartbeat... if his heart beat was for me!

LOL   ;)

Rayn

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 03:07:01 pm »
Interestingly, Jack is much more restrained when it comes to Lureen's dad (that is, until all that anger has built up and he tells him to "sit down you old son-of-a-bitch" ). He is also not that bitchy with Lureen. Maybe it is because with Ennis, he could express how he really felt. With his domestic life, he didn't want to expend too much emotional energy. (i.e. he was not as emotionally invested with Lureen et.al. versus Ennis).

A good friend and fellow Brokie has said she loves Jack best when he's bitchin' to Ennis.  And there's a lot to love 'cause he does that often.  :)

Apparently, someone at youtube loves him then, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj5uFrdj-4&search=brokeback%20mountain

Gotta love the musical choice.

And I think that's an excellent point, too, Diane - why expend the energy bitching to someone whose opinion doesn't really matter?
No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 04:43:09 am »
A good friend and fellow Brokie has said she loves Jack best when he's bitchin' to Ennis.  And there's a lot to love 'cause he does that often.  :)

Apparently, someone at youtube loves him then, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj5uFrdj-4&search=brokeback%20mountain

Gotta love the musical choice.

And I think that's an excellent point, too, Diane - why expend the energy bitching to someone whose opinion doesn't really matter?

Thanks for the youtube link, Barb! I haven't seen it before. It's funny and cute.

Yes, I like Jack's bitching, too. As long as I don't have to deal with it on an everyday basis. I wouldn't have the nerve to deal with this in everyday life.
But I tell you what - I am very much like Jack regarding the bitching. I tend to complain, bitch and nag about every little frustration - and I'm really lucky, because my husband not only can handle it, but really loves this trait of mine. It amuses him, he teases me about it and mostly he can bring me to the point I have to laugh about myself and/or the respective situation.

Jack bitches in such a cute way: goddamn pup tent smells like cat piss or worse (love that senentce) - I complain too much, teacher don't like me - f*ck Aguirre (ok this one is not cute, but funny) - up with the sheep all day, I get down hungry as hell and all I find is beans - and on and on  :)